Discussion of other UK political parties
  •  
It's a tough one. Twitter very much feels like a public forum, so the idea of banning anyone from it is distinctly uncomfortable. But it isn't a public forum that everyone has a democratic right to. It's a website with set terms and conditions that users agree to abide by, very much like this forum has. God knows I haven't read them, but I'd be very surprised if there isn't a bit in there about racist or intimidatory language. Ultimately, if in the view of twitter he's broken the conditions he agreed to when he signed up, then they're within their rights to throw him off it.
When you sign up to Twitter, or Facebook, you tick a box saying that you accept their terms and conditions. Yes, we all know that most of the time people just gloss over them and tick the box. But the point remains - you accept their terms and conditions. Nobody has a right to use it, it's a choice.

Freedom of expression does not mean a right to be heard. And as stated before, absolute freedom of expression is a pipe dream anyway.
I assume that Twitter suspended his account due to the volume of people complaining about his tweets but looked at in isolation many of the tweets are fairly ambiguous and apparently harmless. Given the reputation of the BNP the tweets could be seen as an attempt to encourage a mob to descend onto the home of the two guys but it is pretty hard to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was Griffin's intention to cause harassment and intimidation.
satnav wrote:I assume that Twitter suspended his account due to the volume of people complaining about his tweets but looked at in isolation many of the tweets are fairly ambiguous and apparently harmless. Given the reputation of the BNP the tweets could be seen as an attempt to encourage a mob to descend onto the home of the two guys but it is pretty hard to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was Griffin's intention to cause harassment and intimidation.
Precisely. In my mind I'm certain that he was attempting to incite "harassment and intimidation" but it isn't my decision. It's up to a judge who has seen all the evidence to determine whether it is sufficient to convict him of a criminal offence.
I expect we will find out if that is the case shortly.
By Big Rob
From my perspective.
Twitter only removes profiles that are in violation of the Twitter Rules and Terms of Service. Please remember that Twitter is a communications platform rather than a content provider, we do not mediate disputes between users.
The Twitter Rules

So only if Griffin has fallen foul of these rules will he be removed from Twitter. Better off reporting violations than starting a campaign.

Of course, it is possible to fall foul of local jurisdiction laws, which are independent of Twitter rules.

In that case report what is said to local authorities.
MEPs report Nick Griffin to European Parliament for tweeting gay couple’s address

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/10/23/me ... s-address/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Meanwhile in America

If they think Hispanic people are sneaking in vi[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

https://twitter.com/cpbritain/status/1089943526857[…]

Toby Young

And I bet the Spectator has got a huge readership […]

Chris Grayling

One of the companies which monitors offenders as[…]