•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
They're the Bernard Manning of politics - "See, we're not just racist, we hate the poofs too!"

By Abernathy
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/ ... y-marriage

Farage told the Guardian: "David Cameron's proposal has the potential to rip apart the traditional rural Tory vote. While Ukip wholly respects the rights of gay people to have civil partnerships, we feel the prime minister's proposals will present an affront to millions of people in this country for whom this will be the final straw.

The division between city and rural is absolutely huge. In my village pub in Kent they are just completely against."

Farage believes the gay marriage issue will serve his party well by highlighting the impact of the European court of human rights on Britain and by showing Ukip can rally support around a touchstone issue. "Ukip is not a one-issue party," he said. "But the gay marriage case is closely interwoven with the European court of human rights, as is so much of our life. Ukip will be seen to be a party campaigning not just about who governs Britain but about how we think that Britain should be governed."

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
The what? The ECHR?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schalk_and_Kopf_v_Austria" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The applicants claimed that Austria's failure to legally recognise same-sex marriages constituted a violation of Article 12 ECHR, which provides as follows:

“Men and women of marriageable age have the right to marry and to found a family, according to the national laws governing the exercise of this right.”

The Court unanimously dismissed this claim:
That took literally a minute.
By satnav
Membership Days Posts
The argument coming from the right this week has been that there are more important things for the government to be doing than legislating on gay marriage but now UKIP seems to be saying that it plans to make the issue of gay marriage a key issue at the next election.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
I'm also struggling with their position on immigration, business etc. Immigrants drive down wages, only the rich benefit, like Tony Blair.

So let's take away employment protection and give Tony Blair a big tax cut.

By Abernathy
And another thing. That spazzoid nodding thing that Farage does in time with each syllable of what he says annoys me no end.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
UKIP's on 10% (+6%) and 9% (+3) in the latest Populus and Comres polls respectively. Presumably this is a bit of a backlash against Cameron's gay marriage plans. Must admit, although I'm a staunch supporter of marriage equality, it does strike me as a bit of an odd cause for Cameron to champion at this point. I can't see the Tories winning too many new supporters on the back of this and it gives the Tory Taliban another reason to fuck off to UKIP.

Of course, the fact that UKIP has taken such a hard line against gay marriage completely undermines its (already dubious) claims to be a libertarian party.

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
They need the centre more than they need their own far right. Remember that many constituencies, despite the huff, puff and bluster, don't even have UKIP candidates. Cameron is proving he can take on the wingnuts. This is smarter than it looks.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Timbo wrote:They need the centre more than they need their own far right. Remember that many constituencies, despite the huff, puff and bluster, don't even have UKIP candidates. Cameron is proving he can take on the wingnuts. This is smarter than it looks.
His best hope at the next election is another centre right coalition with the Lib Dems. Having his backwoodsmen piss off to UKIP or another party echoes the Blair years when the likes of Scargill could take no more.

Might have also occurred to Cameron and others that First past the post no longer benefits the Tories.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Timbo wrote:They need the centre more than they need their own far right. Remember that many constituencies, despite the huff, puff and bluster, don't even have UKIP candidates. Cameron is proving he can take on the wingnuts. This is smarter than it looks.
He ought to wheel out the CBI and all as supporters of his Europe policy, which they are.

I'm looking forward to seeing rightwing Tories tell us that businessmen are "the elite". So that "party of business" rhetoric in the past was all bollocks then.

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
Fargle has said an investigation will be launched. So, just as every time a Kipper says something racist, the strategy is to deny that what Kippers say is policy. What is never addressed is why these utter cunts are attracted to UKIP in the first place...they clearly believe that their views are in line with party policy.
Last edited by oboogie on Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Mis-spoken like a Republican in the white house race.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:Might have also occurred to Cameron and others that First past the post no longer benefits the Tories.
And that surrendering boundary changes to block Clegg's Lords reform was also a stupid idea. I can only conclude that the Tory backbenchers are largely fucking thick. No great surprise I know, but throwing the toys out of the pram over electoral reform looks as if it's going to have negative long-term implications for them.

I see Ashcroft's done another one of his big polls.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/6715" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looking first at the demographics of who is supporting UKIP, amongst the 1000 people who said they would vote UKIP at the moment in Ashcroft’s poll, 45% say they voted Tory in 2010, 27% UKIP, 15% Lib Dem, 6% Did not vote, 4% Labour and 4% other parties. The demographic breaks show UKIP supporters continue to be heavily skewed towards elderly men – 43% of their support is from over 65s, just 8% from under 35s. 66% is from men, 34% from women.
Interesting that so few UKIP voters have migrated from Labour - gives the lie to the old 'they're taking votes from all the main parties' schtick. It does look as if some of the populist anti-establishment vote that the Lib Dems used to pick up has gone to UKIP, though.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Yeah, confirms Rotherham, where UKIP had a gift issue (and bad for Labour to boot), and Labour's share went up.
The Trump Presidency

He has declared a national emergency on salad (veg[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

All these possible realities are a pipe dream. the[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

I actually agree with that Indy article I read yes[…]

Meanwhile in America

If they think Hispanic people are sneaking in vi[…]