Today 04:52 PM
Let's look at some of the UKIP Policies:
1) Merging 20% income tax with 11% employee's NI to create a flat rate of 31% above £11,500. (i.e. company directors can now pay themselves £11,500 tax free).
2) Abolish higher rate tax bands.
3) Abolition of employer's national insurance contributions (paid for by what?).
4) Shrink the Department Of Health and replace its duties by local County Health Boards. (bring back PCT's as CHB's).
5) No NHS services for foreigners. Foreigners must take out private health insurance cover. (requires ending international healthcare agreements - you would need private health care to go on holiday to Majorca.).
6) No free prescriptions. Minimum £1 charge for every prescription.
7) Remove duplicate health R&D (...but you've just created lots of CHB's so duplication is inevitable).
Free dental and eye tests ( err the dentists and opticians want enough money for doing that...so who's paying).
9) Remove EU legislation on SME's (you have to leave the EU and EFTA before you can do that).
10) According to them it costs SME's £120 billion a year to comply with EU regulations or 5.5% of GDP. So they want to remove these. But of course if you want to trade with the EU, most will still apply. (e.g. safe toys for the kiddies).
11) Scrap statutory working hours, holidays, redundancy terms and sickness benefits. Introduce a one on one employment contract.
12) Allow SME's to choose whether they want to offer maternity leave in the employment contract. (women will hate that)
13) Scrap auto-enrollment in pensions and scrap the Pension Protection Fund. (i.e. you could lose your entire pension).
14) Scrap equality and discrimination employment legislation. Remove right to tribunal if sacked within 2 years of employment. (i.e. firms just introduce 2 year employment contracts).
15) Introduce Basic Cash Benefits. (just rebranding)
16) Replace VAT with Local Sales Tax at the same 17.5% but 5% of that going directly to local councils. ( i.e. less distribution of wealth around the country.)
17) Scrap working tax credits.
18) Remove NI exemptions for the self-employed.
19) Scrap Construction Industry Tax Scheme.
20) Scrap IR35.
21) SME tenants given the right remain in their rented premises for 12 months if the landlord raises the rent.
22) Commercial landlords to be made liable for Business Rates.
23) 50% of business rates go to local council (i.e. less distribution across the country).
24) Health & Safety inspectors must have 3 years experience in the industry they inspect.
25) Company directors to be made personally liable for accidents at work.
26) Healthy and safety inspections reported to insurance companies.
27) Smaller food outlets to be allowed to self-regulate their food preparation. (take closer look at your sandwich)
28) Scrap diversity employment regulation. (so if they want all Muslim workers they employ them)
29) Company directors to be made more liable for non-payment of company creditors.
30) Scrap land-fill tax. (Need to win referendum).
31) Stop discriminating between married and non-married couples in the tax system. (no point getting married then)
32) Completely abolish Inheritance Tax. (let the rich kids keep their money)
33) Give BoE control of banks. Raise minimum capital ratios from 4% to 8%.
34) Split retail banking from investment banking. (i.e. retail banks will probably introduce account charges to make their profit).
35) Have a referendum on EU membership. (could lose)
36) Freeze immigration for 5 years ( assume this means no immigration for 5 years, no spouses, no children, no relatives, no foreign nurses, no foreign care workers).
37) Introduce a points based system for immigration.
38) Retain nuclear weapons arsenal. (unlikely the US would supply nuke weapons technology to a stand alone UK).
39) Double prison sentences (have we got the prisons?).
40) Introduce County Police Boards (i.e. local quangos).
41) Support grammar schools.
42) Roll state pension and benefits into Citizen pension. (rebranding)
43) Benefits only for those have been resident in the UK for 5 years. (so if are a Brit returning from abroad you get nothing)
44) End ban on smoking in pubs, clubs and hotels.
45) Hold countrywide referendum on fox hunting. (not much point, we know the result would keep the ban).
46) Cut foreign aid. (that'll go down well in international relations)
47) Shrink public sector back to 1997 numbers by removing one million public sector jobs. (or is it two million)
48) Abolish Ofsted and set up independent Educational Inspectorates.
49) Beyond the three R's, give schools more choice in what they teach. (i.e. leading to cheaper and easier subjects)
50) Spend another 1% of GDP on defence. Expand army to 125,000. Double the TA. Expand the navy to 3 aircraft carriers and 70 other ships. Buy 50 extra JSF Lightning fighter bombers. Cut the size of the MOD bureaucracy. (so just pick weapons based upon how pretty they look)
Phew...I gave up at this point...there are plenty more policies not included in that list.
44) is about the only one that is feasible. Many require the ripping up of hundreds of international agreements with foreign nations. The tax policies don't add up leaving gaping holes in tax revenue. All company directors could avoid income tax and NI all together. All employment contracts would be restricted to two years so firms can hire and fire as they please. Most firms would essentially put an end to maternity leave thus penalising women in the workforce. Wealth would be even more unevenly distributed around the country as more tax revenue is retained locally.
And the big gremlin in the works is if they hold a referendum on EU membership, and the public vote to stay in the EU...ooops.
Recommended by 2 people