Discussion of other UK political parties
:sunglasses: 25 % ❤ 4.5 % :thumbsup: 4.5 % :grinning: 56.8 % 🧥 2.3 % 😟 2.3 % :cry: 2.3 % :shit: 2.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
He stood for the Kippers in Bromley and Chislehurst in 2017. Got 3% of the vote (down 11.3%) and lost his deposit. As far as I can see he’s still Kippering.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I think Batten was appointed interim leader so this will be his first leadership contest. He’ll probably win on his wacky platform as Farage has mopped up the middle class golf club bigots who don’t mind the odd hard working Commonwealth darkie of the Muslim faith cooking curries over here.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:44 pm
Oh dear, what a pity etc.

UKIP candidate's Jess Phillips rape 'joke' to be investigated

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48185348
Radio 5's half hourly news summaries are reporting this now.

Now all we need is a Claire Fox expose.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
I'm going to say mea culpa and admit I didn't take this seriously.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... n-ukip-mep
Benjamin tweeted that he “wouldn’t even rape” Labour MP Jess Phillips in 2016. He revisited the topic in a recent video on his million-subscriber YouTube channel and is now being investigated by the police. It’s a sorry story from a candidate in the European elections, but Phillips is far from the only woman who Benjamin has harassed online. He built his entire platform on it.

Most women who were working in or around the video games industry in late 2014 know exactly who Benjamin is. He was one of the more vocal figureheads of Gamergate, an online “movement” that began when an aggrieved ex-boyfriend spread malicious gossip about his game-developer ex-girlfriend. It metamorphosed into a coordinated harassment campaign against a huge number of women, under the smokescreen of anti-censorship and concern over ethics. It is now impossible not to see Gamergate as a foreshadowing of a disease that has since engulfed political and public life.

What people like Benjamin want, with his disgusting speculation on whether female politicians are rape-worthy, is to bring the rank misogyny of the worst online spaces into public dialogue. It is Trumpian trolling transferred into British political life. People like Benjamin believe in a form of consequenceless free speech that dictates that if women wish to exist publicly, create things or have an opinion, they should expect all the harassment and degrading commentary and ceaseless mean-spirited scrutiny that will inevitably follow. This was the message of Gamergate, back in 2014. It is now the message of a significant swathe of fringe politics, usually packaged with a heavy dose of racism.

The targets of Gamergate – almost all of whom were women – got a deluge of execrable abuse. I was the UK editor of Kotaku at the time, a video game website that was one of their prime targets: they even named their subreddit after us. We had people emailing our bosses trying to get us fired, sending video game publishers hundreds of faux-polite emails containing 1,000 words of conspiracy theories, and Microsoft Paint diagrams illustrating how feminists and social justice warriors were ruining video games. We had people trying to find out where we lived, where our parents lived, digging around online for some compromising ancient forum post, tweet or photograph to undermine us. Some Gamergate targets got threatening phone calls and physical letters. Some received threats against their families. All forms of social media became unusable. Grifters like Benjamin egged on the masses with YouTube rants against women who’d ever been critical of video games and feminism’s cancerous effect on gaming.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Most women who were working in or around the video games industry in late 2014 know exactly who Benjamin is. He was one of the more vocal figureheads of Gamergate,

My niece works as a developer in the computer industry and filled me in about these wankers who hadn’t come to my attention. Good to see the Millennials on the ball.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
At that time, my son, before the wee cunt went to work for an investment bank, was working as the course lead on a games development and production course at a university in NL. He was nothing short of distraught, what with many of the women in his tutelage being firmly on The Spectrum and taking every tweet and FB post as a personal attack.

Which they were, of course. And, while he was trying to teach people who code monsters about budgets, he had to shield them from these demons.

He was 25.

By cycloon
So much of this shit has roots in geek culture. Weird mix of utterly precious and narrowly-focused obsession over 'our stuff' coupled to a supposedly liberating discourse of no limits, everything is ironic, nothing means anything (EXCEPT WHEN IT REALLY DOES), all jokes m8 YOU FUCKING SCUM etc.

It's another blare of the wider song: only the fundamentally conceited can produce so much shit and pretend to be so hard done by as they do it.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
cycloon wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:41 pm
So much of this shit has roots in geek culture. Weird mix of utterly precious and narrowly-focused obsession over 'our stuff' coupled to a supposedly liberating discourse of no limits, everything is ironic, nothing means anything (EXCEPT WHEN IT REALLY DOES), all jokes m8 YOU FUCKING SCUM etc.

It's another blare of the wider song: only the fundamentally conceited can produce so much shit and pretend to be so hard done by as they do it.
Can I just point out that there are plenty of self-described geeks that find what has been happening regarding "gamergate" has been absolutely abhorrent and only represent a small sub-culture within geekdom?

Shitlords trolling and posting crap on the internet has basically been about since Mosaic was released. What has changed since around 2012/2013 is the way in my opinion that it has been moulded by interests whom prior to all of this had little but contempt for most of them but caught on to how after some high profile incidents "for the lulz" made them realise how such a group of /b/tards and the like could be weaponised.

Samanfur liked this

By cycloon
spoonman wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:42 pm
cycloon wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:41 pm

Can I just point out that there are plenty of self-described geeks that find what has been happening regarding "gamergate" has been absolutely abhorrent and only represent a small sub-culture within geekdom?

Shitlords trolling and posting crap on the internet has basically been about since Mosaic was released. What has changed since around 2012/2013 is the way in my opinion that it has been moulded by interests whom prior to all of this had little but contempt for most of them but caught on to how after some high profile incidents "for the lulz" made them realise how such a group of /b/tards and the like could be weaponised.

I wrote what I wrote as a geek myself. I have played too many video games since, hell, I was 8. It's a subsection of a very general culture - one that often 'gatekeeps' (see 'real gamer' rubbish).

By MisterMuncher
It was a watershed moment in a way. There had always been shitposting and the like, but it was the first time it broke cover and gained currency in the real world, even attracting celebrity endorsement. It corroded public discourse far beyond its initial reach.

By Boiler
spoonman wrote:
Shitlords trolling and posting crap on the internet has basically been about since Mosaic was released.
That late? I'd say it happened as soon as someone got a VT100 into a bulletin board and/or Usenet....
By Andy McDandy
"Tits or GTFO".

The internet's a leveller. People could converse without having to be the loudest or most charismatic in the room. The likelihood of a punch in the face was low. Add in the online disinhibition effect and the sense of detachment (box of lights, all a game).

Two other crucial moments:

The Dark Knight (viral marketing and posting, Shitlord as leading character).

The Clarkson sacking.

By lord_kobel
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:27 pm
spoonman wrote:
Shitlords trolling and posting crap on the internet has basically been about since Mosaic was released.
That late? I'd say it happened as soon as someone got a VT100 into a bulletin board and/or Usenet....
See also The September That Never Ended.
UKIP

Oh my, that is joyous.... :) :) :) :) :)

Poppy Day bingo

It's even worse if you see the hashtags on their o[…]

2019 General Election

Now that would be a nice one. This wasn't encour[…]

Nigel Farage

Shocking nobody, I should think: Nigel Farage […]