•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
I know it's pure speculation at the moment but, if gropegate goes nuclear, and the LibDems lose Eastleigh, it is just possible Clegg might get the bumsrush (unlikely I know). My question is, would that be a good thing?

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
oboogie wrote:I know it's pure speculation at the moment but, if gropegate goes nuclear, and the LibDems lose Eastleigh, it is just possible Clegg might get the bumsrush (unlikely I know). My question is, would that be a good thing?
That would depend greatly on who replaced him. As the position comes with the DPM post attached, it would need to be somebody from the current crop who is perceived to have a mandate. I'd say Cable is the only one with enough wider public credibility; in which case it could be a good thing. He is vastly more intelligent and pragmatic than Clegg.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
This fucker still hasn't got his story straight.
In his statement on Sunday night, Nick Clegg pointedly noted that Chris Rennard resigned as Liberal Democrat chief executive in 2009 on "health grounds". The implicit suggestion was that Rennard's departure was unrelated to the concerns raised over his behaviour towards female staff.

But on his phone-in show on LBC radio this morning, the Deputy Prime Minister changed his line. He told presenter Nick Ferrari: "His health was poor and that was the immediate reason but of course these things [the concerns over Rennard's behaviour] were in the background." When Channel 4 News's Cathy Newman called into the programme and highlighted this inconsistency, Clegg repeated: "He left on health grounds but the issues of his inappropriate behaviour were in the background".
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... esignation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
Timbo wrote:
oboogie wrote:I know it's pure speculation at the moment but, if gropegate goes nuclear, and the LibDems lose Eastleigh, it is just possible Clegg might get the bumsrush (unlikely I know). My question is, would that be a good thing?
That would depend greatly on who replaced him. As the position comes with the DPM post attached, it would need to be somebody from the current crop who is perceived to have a mandate. I'd say Cable is the only one with enough wider public credibility; in which case it could be a good thing. He is vastly more intelligent and pragmatic than Clegg.
I agree about Cable, but would the Tories accept him? I can't think of any replacement for Clegg who would be acceptable to both the Tories and the LibDems. I'm clutching at straws here but could this wreck the coalition?
By satnav
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
What do the Lid Dem's members need to trigger a leadership election? Is it decided by the parliamentary party or the national party?

I would imagine that most of the older members of parliamentary party will stick with Clegg because they believe they can cling onto their seats because of the goodwill they have built up over the years or because they are so close to retirement that they don't much care if they lose their seats. Clegg has probably also got it in his gift to dish out a few peerages to MPs who remain loyal until the end. The people who probably want him out are parliamentary candidates and councillors who know they will get stuffed at the polls if he leads them into the election.
By mattomac
oboogie wrote:
Timbo wrote:
I agree about Cable, but would the Tories accept him? I can't think of any replacement for Clegg who would be acceptable to both the Tories and the LibDems. I'm clutching at straws here but could this wreck the coalition?
I can think of one name.........

By Malcolm Armsteen
I've just half-heard the TV news - apparently NC has changed his mind over an amnesty for illegal immigrants (!) and is now proposing that all people coming to the country pay a deposit, refundable when they leave.

What?

At least that puts paid to the idea that he's a liberal...
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
The New Statesman's George Eaton says Labour considered something similar in government and then rejected it as completely unworkable. As with the secret courts bill, I really cannot fathom what Clegg thinks he's doing with this. Nobody's going to vote Lib Dem for a tough approach to immigration. Cable came out and undermined him before he could even make his speech. What will it take for his party to ditch him?

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:I've just half-heard the TV news - apparently NC has changed his mind over an amnesty for illegal immigrants (!) and is now proposing that all people coming to the country pay a deposit, refundable when they leave.

What?

At least that puts paid to the idea that he's a liberal...
Hasn't he got any ideas of his own? Jack Straw proposed a £5,000 (rather than Clegg's £1,000) bond in 1996.
Nigel Farage

Might be worth 50p at Ladbrokes that he'll bottl[…]

The Brexit Party

Snowballing.... Hey Alex, good to see you are ta[…]

Boris Johnson

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson_MP/status/1194377[…]

Zelo Street

Me no understandee.