Discussion of other UK political parties
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Council condemned for urging families to take in foster children to dodge benefits cuts worth £14-a-week
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2OquslxNg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Deputy Prime Minister said he was ‘not happy at all’ with the council’s attempt to encourage people to ‘change the way they are as families just to avoid that £14 extra’.
It might be just £14 to Nick Clegg but it is a lot more to someone on minium wages. Lets see if there is a brave MP willing to swop places with a 'pleb' for a month and live on a part time wage,pay rent, and feed a family.
- Mr Suspicious, Wisbech, 28/3/2013 12:49
Click to rate Rating 38

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Ealing Council should be applauded for their actions
Do you want to explain that cryptic comment?

By Malcolm Armsteen
Would you care to think about that for a moment?

First of all, not everyone is in a position to be a foster parent. They may be single, employed, disabled, too old, too young or simply not the kind of person who can do this extremely demanding job. I know, I've done it. It isn't any kind of easy option.

Secondly - for the unemployed or disabled the payments for fostering will probably mean that the tenants will lose benefits. They may well end up worse off.

Thirdly, if they live in small or old property it won't be suitable for fostering.

Fourthly - how can social services induct all those new foster parents, train them, do the CRB checks, visit the homes and make proper assessments instantly?

A nonsensical answer is not a sensible answer.

By Tubby Isaacs
Spotted this from a while ago. Jonathan Portes calling out Nick Clegg on some bollocks.

http://notthetreasuryview.blogspot.co.u ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From Nick Clegg's speech on immigration:

"I believe people will have more faith in our immigration system if they see that we are doing everything we can to help young British men and women into work. To that end, the Coalition has also capped unskilled migration from outside the EU."
This is fantasy. The Coalition has introduced absolutely no policies that "cap migration from outside the EU", since when they took office there were no economic migration routes permitting unskilled workers from outside the EU, and have not been for some time.
Indeed, the previous government stated in 2008:

"But we have also decided to suspend low skilled migration from outside Europe through the points based system which will provide additional protection for low paid workers."

Even this was disingenuous; there was very little to "suspend" even then. Post 2004, and the new EU member states, what need was there for low skilled migration from outside the EU?
When I asked Mr Clegg what policies he was referring to, he said that of course all he meant was that that the Coalition had maintained the policy of the previous government, and said I was being "mischievous" in suggesting that he was being misleading. The written text is above; judge for yourself.

By Tubby Isaacs
Jonathan adds in the comments (replying to another poster)
Yes; I was going to cover the Tier 1 claims, but decided not worth it. I was actually at the speech, and asked about the evidence on this; it was clear from the response that Mr Clegg didn't actually understand the difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
Ah, Nick Clegg, I'd forgotten about him.
Drunk people who get arrested or need treatment in accident and emergency units should be charged to compensate the taxpayer, Nick Clegg has said.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... costs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should five-a-side footballers be charged when they get injured? Or horse-riders? Desperate. Go away again, Nick.
By sporran
Membership Days Posts
I actually wouldn't be surprised if Cameron's lot attempt something like that. After they've flogged off all the back-end services, it would be a nice little way of introducing the public to charging at the point of delivery.

Actually, why don't ex-leaders stay on and do a jo[…]

@Timbo gonnae pm me the creds?

Richard Littlejohn

:lol:

The Mail vs Meghan Markle & Prince Harry

Journalists...