•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
More wishy-washy bullshit from Clegg.
Something is happening on the centre ground of British politics. An exodus. The Conservative leadership is being lured to the right. Ed Miliband is pulling his party to the left. Only the Liberal Democrats are holding firm.

That creates an opportunity for our party. Over the last twenty years the centre has become a crowded place. First New Labour pitched up, determined to demonstrate a new found credibility on the economy. Then followed a detoxified Conservative Party, hugging hoodies and frolicking with huskies. Yet now – in what, in time, may prove to be a highly significant political shift – the land is clearing. Our opponents are heading back to their respective homes. And it is time for the Liberal Democrats to reclaim this space.

The language of centrism can be misleading. It is not – as it can sound – splitting the difference between competing views; nor is it sitting on the fence. On the contrary, the centre ground rests on a radical, liberal view of the world, unencumbered by the traditional ideologies of left and right.
http://www.libdemvoice.org/nick-clegg-m ... 34302.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As post-war social democracy and Thatcherism both demonstrated, the centre isn't a fixed position. By anchoring yourself to the 'middle ground', you allow your opponents to drag you this way and that. And whether Clegg admits it or not, his party are enabling the Tories to go places Thatcher wouldn't have dared. There are times when I feel I almost hate dreary liberal technocrats more than I hate the hard right. They just make politics sound so bloodless and limp.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
The idea he's still in the centre is utterly preposterous. Deepest and fastest cuts ever, mass privatisation of schools etc.

Love the way his party have a "view of the world" and the others have an "ideology".

Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg is widely reckoned to have been the clear winner of last night's debate. Ironic considering that, for all his fluency and utter self-confidence, he is easily the biggest charlatan of the lot.
Who would guess, listening to him prattling piously about MPs' expenses, that he was a maximum claimer? Or that six months ago, when it seemed to be the flavour of the hour, he was demanding 'bold and savage cuts' in public spending, a subject on which he is now silent.
Or that this is a man who is capable of arguing with equal passion for or against retaining Trident nuclear missiles?
Chris Mullin, Diary, April 16, 2010.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
Look at how Clegg falls right into line behind Blair.
And it is true that by offering anger rather than hope, Labour are steadily becoming a party of protest.
Mullin was absolutely right. Clegg is tenth-rate.

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
It does vary a bit. Our place does it on the last working day of each month, so I did get my startling few quid extra today. I'll use it to hire a few more domestic staff, and maybe buy a Rolls Royce.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Timbo wrote:It does vary a bit. Our place does it on the last working day of each month, so I did get my startling few quid extra today. I'll use it to hire a few more domestic staff, and maybe buy a Rolls Royce.
Trickle down. Fuck you, all those Thatcher doubters.

By mattomac
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I would thank Nick Clegg for my extra £20 or so a week but I would rather have a diverse campus full of people from all backgrounds, University education that gets better and progresses not one that stagnates, an NHS that is there for all and for my parents to be able to live ok in their old age....

£20 doesn't really substitute for the lack of those things.

Hell it just about covers the rent rise, like last years didn't.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Rawnsley parrots Lib Dem voice

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... rom-centre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rawnsley is a seasoned political commentator and observes in his article that Ed M hasn't clearly defined what he is about. Then how does this tie in with his opening premise that Miliband is moving away from the centre? Clearly Mr Rawnsley's article is in need of some triangulation.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
More complete drivel from Comedy Kettle.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... right-time" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I never hear the phrase 'centre ground' ever again, it'll be too fucking soon.
Jeremy Corbyn.

https://twitter.com/cpbritain/status/1089943526857[…]

Toby Young

And I bet the Spectator has got a huge readership […]

Chris Grayling

One of the companies which monitors offenders as[…]

Jacob Rees-Mogg

Jake acting the shit again: https://www.bbc.co.u[…]