Discussion of other UK political parties
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Esqui
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It's really just "stop doing things we don't like". I'm sure they are presenting it as a research paper, but let's face it - they all went down the pub with a pencil and paper.

There is no research into how much it could save, or the possible costs of doing so (as above - privatising council car parks would lead to higher charges and deter shoppers, what is the cost of that?). Even I, with just my A-levels in politics and economics, know that any saving isn't just a case of saving £x - there is always a cost. Some of the options will likely cost more money than they save. Point 14 suggests cutting subsidies to private landlords. A good idea on the face of it, but no-one has considered why these grants are given. Our council gives a lot of money to private landlords, because without it, they would turn the majority of housing stock into bedsits (more money from rent from them). Would it save more money than the increased cost of handling more homeless families? I doubt it.

They also suggest opening cafes in libraries and parks. Most of the cafes in parks I have been to have opened at awkward hours, charged lots of money, and been closed to save money.

There are also several points which are so vague so as to be useless. Point 158 - "Cease funding think tanks unnecessarily". What is necessary?

That's not to say that there aren't some really good ideas in there. Things like using duplex printing, energy saving lightbulbs and so forth are good ideas. But you could easily condense the good ideas into a "10 ways to save money" document.

And some are so short-sighted it beggars belief. Point 49 - "Reduce staff training to the statutory minimum." So barely qualified staff are better?

Without proper costing analysis, there is very little point in taking this seriously. It does show the TPA up as a bunch of amateurs.
By Andy McDandy
I'm also reminded of the Doncaster English Democrat mayor who cancelled the local pride parade, only to have it pointed out how much money it brought into the town through increased trade, parking charges, goodwill etc.

I picture them down the pub, cranking ideas out, and thinking that the caahncil should be staffed entirely by clerks out of Dickens, sitting on high chairs, scratching their quills to the bone, and bringing in a bucket of coal in cold weather. It all seems to boil down to:

1. Employees should not have any perks whatsoever. Even ones that help them do their jobs more effectively.
2. Grind out profit from everything under the sun.
3. Private sector good, public sector bad.
4. PLU should be allowed to do whatever we want (no traffic restrictions, 'nannying', minimal controls on property development, public consultation (Shorter, quicker and meaningful? How? Oh, I get it. Your stuff gets rushed through, anything possibly detrimentally affecting you gets blocked), adoption etc).

Pitiful.

By Daley Mayle
Placing children from care into boarding schools? What could possibly go wrong? I'm sure that the council would examine closely tenders from the private sector and choose one that has the best interests of the children at heart and not going for the lowest.

Hold on, amongst the 201 Bright Ideas is for all contracts to be tendered and not simply renewed, the lowest will of course be the one chosen.

The next step is the workhouse.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:That list is a mixture of phd in the bleedin obvious, a beermat brainstorming session in the pub and Viz Top Tips.
Could quite accurately sum up most of the Tax Dodgers' output.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:I'm also reminded of the Doncaster English Democrat mayor who cancelled the local pride parade, only to have it pointed out how much money it brought into the town through increased trade, parking charges, goodwill etc.
You heard the classic interview with Toby Foster?

"You don't know how much it costs, you don't know how much it makes, but you're cancelling it anyway".

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote: You heard the classic interview with Toby Foster?

"You don't know how much it costs, you don't know how much it makes, but you're cancelling it anyway".
Have now, not a good first day. A sort of poor mans Godfrey Bloom and thats saying something

[youtube]jLrMXsS4rwA[/youtube]
By satnav
I noticed these gems on there list of way for councils to save money.

Cut subsidies to private landlords. Many councils give private sector housing grants to landlords to enable the repair and adaptation of private rented. Can these subsidies be cut?

Many of these grants go to landlords to renovate houses that are not currently occupied because they are in a poor state of repair. I think my brother-in-law got one of these grants but one of the conditions of the grant was that the house had to be rented out at a relatively low rent for the next 5 years. I would have thought this offers better value for money than putting homeless people in B&B accommodation for long periods of time.

Where appropriate use cattle and sheep to graze on council land rather than spending money on grass cutting.

So who exactly will be responsible for looking after these animals? I think our school fields are mowed about six times a year by a bloke in a tractor who takes about 2 hours each time. I'm sure this works out cheaper than paying someone to look after a flock of sheep all year and clear up all the sheep shit.

Cancel your membership sub to the Local Government Information Unit.

Presumably this unit provides information and legal advice to councils so they don't have spend time and money do their own research.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
So who exactly will be responsible for looking after these animals? I think our school fields are mowed about six times a year by a bloke in a tractor who takes about 2 hours each time. I'm sure this works out cheaper than paying someone to look after a flock of sheep all year and clear up all the sheep shit.
Tim Fenton agrees.
“The council has been using grazing animals as a more environmentally friendly way of keeping downland trimmed back since 2004” reports The Argus. So what effect has this had? “Campaigners have raised concerns about the need to enclose the sheep which is closing off historic open spaces with fences and gates”. An immediate downside.

But what about the cost? How does the whizzo Phibbs wheeze stack up? Sadly, not very well for the TPA and its cheerleaders: the cost of grass cutting for those downlands around Brighton was estimated at £30,000 a year, but the total cost of having sheep graze there instead, for 2011 and 2012, came to almost £140,000, or more than twice the cost of retaining the status quo

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
satnav wrote:I noticed these gems on there list of way for councils to save money.

Cut subsidies to private landlords. Many councils give private sector housing grants to landlords to enable the repair and adaptation of private rented. Can these subsidies be cut?

Many of these grants go to landlords to renovate houses that are not currently occupied because they are in a poor state of repair. I think my brother-in-law got one of these grants but one of the conditions of the grant was that the house had to be rented out at a relatively low rent for the next 5 years. I would have thought this offers better value for money than putting homeless people in B&B accommodation for long periods of time.
It's not about saving money it's about enriching their mates. The Tax Dodgers Alliance along with other organizations like Big Brother Watch are all about shrinking the state and opposing their Hayekian madness on us poor schmuks

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
It's not about saving money it's about enriching their mates. The Tax Dodgers Alliance along with other organizations like Big Brother Watch are all about shrinking the state and opposing their Hayekian madness on us poor schmuks
I think shrinking the state comes some way behind enriching their mates.

Can you imagine Mark Littlewood running a company exporting machinery to Manchester? Bet you can't.
Can you imagine him involved with some spiv company involved with financing public sector projects, at an easy profit? Bet you can.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

So much of Brexit stuff seems to be an odd take on[…]

The LibDems, generally

Spotted this elsewhere. Warning: contains Piers Mo[…]

GE 2020

The deluded fuckwit still thinks there's such a […]

David Cameron

Compassionate conservatism: putting professionals […]