Discussion of other UK political parties
:sunglasses: 28.7 % ❤ 8 % :thumbsup: 1.1 % :grinning: 29.9 % 🙏 1.1 % 😟 27.6 % :cry: 2.3 % :shit: 1.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
This is a very funny dramatized story from David Baddiel on the day his Record Breakers hero Norris McWhirter delivers a talk at his school. But Norris has more lofty subjects to warn the kids about than records. Alistair McGowen plays the odious right wing know-it-all
I've learned that black and white tellies can produce colour pictures as if by magic :wink:

I think McWhirter and NAFF are covered quite well in When The Lights Went Out. In popular culture, these are the sort of people whom 'Uncle Jimmy' is based on in the Reggie Perrin series.

(trivia note; the TV was also available as a dual-standard model - that's why it looks as though there should be buttons either side of the four already there. I had one, and it was f****d...)
Last edited by Boiler on Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
I seem to recall McWhirter led a case for a couple of scabs to Strasbourg to opt out of a closed shop. The Tory right were quite keen on human rights and European courts that year.
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:26 am
I remember reading about him in one of Dominic Sandbrook's books.
What did you learn?
Last edited by youngian on Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I sort of got the impression that Ross McWhirter (the one that was murdered by the IRA) was the nastier of the twins. He looked a bit shiftier and more embittered.

Guess I was wrong, though. Norris was every bit as gigantic a cunt.
http://powerbase.info/index.php/Norris_ ... .28NAFF.29
Having offered a £50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of IRA members, Ross McWhirter was murdered shortly before the planned launched of NAFF, which took place on 2 December 1975. Following his brother’s death Norris McWhirter stepped into his shoes as a political operator and attended the launch under protection by armed police. The launch was attended by Margaret Thatcher.
Kreuzberger wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:26 am
A side note; Television's* Marquee Moon has aged deliciously well.

*Television: an arty New York punk band, m'lud, the combo responsible for the "diddle-iddle-widdle" riff in the soundtrack.
Indeed. As, I feel, has the work of Mr Thos. Robinson and his Ensemble.
davidjay wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:43 am
Kreuzberger wrote:

*Television: an arty New York punk band, m'lud, the combo responsible for the "diddle-iddle-widdle" riff in the soundtrack.
Indeed. As, I feel, has the work of Mr Thos. Robinson and his Ensemble.
Yes, I just had to Shazam that :)
Kreuzberger wrote:

Took me back to covering it in a shit-hole pub in Cookstown circa 1996 to the general confusion of most present. Ah well.
MisterMuncher wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:42 pm
Kreuzberger wrote:

Took me back to covering it in a shit-hole pub in Cookstown circa 1996 to the general confusion of most present. Ah well.
The Belfast House, if memory serves, but it could easily have been Martin's or The Black Horse.

My abiding memory of gigging in Tyrone is the bouncers in Coalisland minding the door with a 24 pack of Strongbow each, just neckin' tins all night long.
spoonman liked this
Meanwhile across the Atlantic (The USA, in case context is needed), the shitlord owner of the notorious alt-right/neo-Nazi website The Daily Stormer has been provisionally ordered to cought up US$14 million in compensation to a Jewish woman in Montana after he encouraged visitors to his website to engage in large scale harassment of her and her children.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49003766

If the site rings a bell, the same website and same owner once called on site visitors to send antisemitic tweets to Luciana Berger in late 2014 in the wake of a National Action member being convicted of sending an antisemitic tweet to her earlier that year.
Treat with caution, it's the St*r, but...

Who's the (grand) daddy? :lol:

Tommy Robinson ‘decked in showers’ by OAP on first day in prison
He is said to have tried to intimidate the pensioner who responded by dropping him with a single punch.
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... -edl-fight

The trying to avoid Brexit game, dear fellow. I fe[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

Skimming that, it looks like an improvement with g[…]

#weloveyoumeghan is trending. Bloody good job too.[…]

The Sun

It's unforgivable. No scrutiny, no impact assessme[…]