Discussion of other UK political parties
:sunglasses: 100 %
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Killer Whale wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:I wonder whether she should keep her distance a bit.
Yes she should. I don't trust the SNP, I think their political culture is different from ours, I don't think we're natural allies, and I think that, if push came to shove, they would abandon us over Barnett. They're not as bad as the fucking Greens, mind.
Hadn't noticed your comment about the Greens before. Are they wanting to chuck out farmers, like George Monbiot? Wasn't he a Plaid man at one time? Or did he "hand back" his membership card?

Labour are after Plaid round Camarthen. I'd have left that and gone after Alun Cairns and the other Tory buffoons.

By Killer Whale
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Killer Whale wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:I wonder whether she should keep her distance a bit.
Yes she should. I don't trust the SNP, I think their political culture is different from ours, I don't think we're natural allies, and I think that, if push came to shove, they would abandon us over Barnett. They're not as bad as the fucking Greens, mind.
Hadn't noticed your comment about the Greens before. Are they wanting to chuck out farmers, like George Monbiot? Wasn't he a Plaid man at one time? Or did he "hand back" his membership card?

Labour are after Plaid round Camarthen. I'd have left that and gone after Alun Cairns and the other Tory buffoons.
Yes, Monbiot tried to cozy up to Plaid, but it soon became apparent that, like most greens, he had his own agenda, which basically meant undermining rural Welsh culture with an anglo-american pastiche. It's almost as if they really believe that everyone would be better off living like some fantasy native american from a terrible 1980s film.

There's a long history here of Greens being welcomed into the nationalist movement only to be exposed as colonialists dedicated only to telling us what we should be doing and how we should be doing it.

See also many senior Greens' attitudes to the language (“a moribund language”, "belonging to a regional identity”). Some of us are quite attached to the language learnt at the knee of countless previous generations and don't take too kindly to that sort of thing.

By Killer Whale
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Cheers.

Wasn't there a join Plaid/Green MP elected in 1992? How did that go?
Cynog Dafis in Ceredigion. Neither party considered it to be a particularly happy marriage. Plaid thought we could absorb the more progressive elements of incoming English settlers, while the Greens just wanted to create a foothold, a Trojan Horse if you want to look at it uncharitably.

Edited To Add: I was living in London at this time, and a member of the Labour Party, so I was a rather remote observer.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
This is a good example why Leanne Wood should be more careful.
Key Priorities
Wants new job-creating powers for Holyrood
Wants independence to "determine our own destiny and build the best future for Scotland"
Welfare
Holyrood should control working age benefits
Wants an end to "bedroom tax"
Universal Credit and Personal Independence Payments roll out should stop until new welfare powers come to Scotland
Foreign/Defence
Opposed to renewal of Trident, based on the Clyde
Maintains its 0.7% commitment to foreign aid
Backs bigger role for Scotland in UK/EU talks
EU
Wants a louder voice for Scotland in fisheries and farming talks
Taxation
Wants control of National Insurance contributions
Would give tax incentives for research and development
Wants control of the personal tax allowance to “lift more low earners out of tax”
Wants control of child and working tax credits
Economy
Wants control of minimum wage and "living wage" to remain "central" to all Holyrood contracts
Immigration
Immigration rules need changing to suit Scotland’s economy
Wants international graduates from Scots universities to be able to work in Scotland for an agreed period
Best way forward is an independent Scotland with a points-based entry system
Pensions
Wants to “re-shape and simplify” pensions to suit needs of Scottish pensioners
Has questioned UK plans to increase retirement age to 67 by 2028
Says because of lower life expectancy in Scotland pensioners would be “short-changed” by thousands of pounds
Constitution
Believes Scotland should be independent
Wants full fiscal controls; would get rid of Trident from Scotland; but would keep the Queen as head of state and would retain sterling
Wants full control of benefits, pensions and wants to stay an EU member
Wants a written constitution
Not the slightest pretence it's interested in anything beyond Scotland. If pensions are wrong for Scotland, they're wrong for Wales and Tower Hamlets too.

The thing about the living wage and the EU there is interesting. They refused to vote for it before because Europe. Salmond went there on a visit, and the EU told him (as they could have done over the phone) that there was no problem at all.

By Killer Whale
mattomac wrote:Not even sure what "job creating powers" are if it's newspeak for cut red tape then....
Could mean anything. Like most of the stuff on that list. Probably refers to the ability to invest in the Scottish economy. Within the constraints of EU regulations, of course.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Leanne Wood was a bit quick to back up the SNP last night, I thought.

She's better on general leftwing politics than nationalism. Doubtless one reason she was elected leader, to reach out into eg the Valleys or urban north-east Wales. She seems to have made a bit of progress there but it's hard.

Of course, the main thing is the Welsh Assembly and she should be back in Coalition.

By Killer Whale
We have to make progress in this election in order to create the momentum for next year. Indications are that we may gain 1 or possibly 2 seats. Even Llanelli if Labour disillusionment can be sustained. So even if our main concentration is on Assembly politics, we need to take this election just as seriously.
That said, attacking the right targets in the right way in the right regions is one hell of a balancing act.
Mark Francois MP

Just had a look at his Wiki page. A stint at Lloyd[…]

Boris Johnson

Wouldn't it be good if newspapers had an imposed p[…]

Labour, Generally.

I suspect this has come about becasue the trigger […]

GE 2020

You've a knack for getting right to the heart of t[…]