•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I've just been canvassed by the Green candidate in a local by-election.

Personable and persuasive, I've had a look at their policies. I can't see anything I disagree with, indeed I like it very much.

Would a vote for Verity be a wasted vote, I ask myself, or the start of a trend? I think Mrs A is already heading in that direction.
Timbo liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Instead of praising the courage of switchers or gloating it should be pointed out that changing your mind when the facts change is what rational people do. It shouldn’t dent anyone’s vanity and ego.

LBC gammon gobshite Nick Ferrari abandoned Brexit support this morning. He probably took his listeners’ temperature before coming out.
spoonman liked this

By bluebellnutter
"Green Party candidate shuns electric trains in favour of more cars and lorries on motorways" is an interesting look, I'll grant you.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
There are Tories who like the cut of Farage’s gib than took a look at UKIP and thought ‘dear god.’ Caroline Lucas and Molly Scott Cato have shown terrific leadership against Brexit and I haven’t disagreed with much of what they’ve said. But than I take a look at their party and think ‘dear god.’

By Tubby Isaacs
It's funny, isn't it? It should be one of their best subjects. I first noticed how bad they were in a Caroline Lucas article on retendering the East Coast Mainline. You can agree or disagree with that- and it certainly didn't go well- but I couldn't tell whether she didn't know that the franchise paid the DfT a lot of money or whether she was dishonestly leaving that out.

Silly populism bites you on the arse. There's a serious risk now that only the first phase of HS2 gets built.

By Tubby Isaacs
The Greens are great ones for "don't built that to London/Birmingham/Manchester, reopen this little line instead for only £x". There are a few problems with that. If "infrastructure projects always go way over budget", won't that little line go over budget too? And that's assuming the base for figure for this little line has any credibility at all in the first place. The other problem is that if you're talking about emissions, stopping people dying from pollution, then the big cities is where it's at. I think it was Richard Bowker who tweeted rather dismissively of Borders Rail that it was just a few two-car trains, and that the £300m capital cost could have been spent better elsewhere. I wouldn't go that far- I think it was an area that was exceptionally lacking in rail and it's good that it got reopened. But he's got a point. And that's for a line that goes into a major terminus, Edinburgh Waverley, with connections to lots of places from there. Plus lots of tourist business. Your typical Beeching branch line doesn't have that.
Jeremy Corbyn.

Headlines.

Lots of project fear about the votes tomorrow. Per[…]

I read some of those tweets. The naysayers are jus[…]

The Sun

It's unforgivable. No scrutiny, no impact assessme[…]