•  
  •  
  •  

By Boiler
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:11 am
davidjay wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:05 am
Much as I'm happy to see bad stuff happen to them, I still don't think that creating Free Speech martyrs is the way forward.
Come on now. That's exactly what their supporters are saying. They weren't banged up for free speech. They committed crimes. The definition of Free Speech has been wildly misconstrued by a lot of people. It doesn't make you exempt from common law.
It's at this point I'd normally post the Churchill quote and the cartoon from XKCD, although someone has taken exception to the XKCD carttoon here.

By cycloon
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:12 am
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:11 am
davidjay wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:05 am
Much as I'm happy to see bad stuff happen to them, I still don't think that creating Free Speech martyrs is the way forward.
Come on now. That's exactly what their supporters are saying. They weren't banged up for free speech. They committed crimes. The definition of Free Speech has been wildly misconstrued by a lot of people. It doesn't make you exempt from common law.
It's at this point I'd normally post the Churchill quote and the cartoon from XKCD, although someone has taken exception to the XKCD carttoon here.
I've always found the glib linking of that XKCD strip to be a bit sneaky. It's often a 'yeah well get tae fuck' without much thought. Sometimes the target no doubt deserves it, other times it's less clearcut.

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I agree that they should have been prosecuted, but I think that first of all, they'd have been better served doing some form of community service, and second, that these sentences set a precedent for anyone else deemed to be making inflammatory 'political' statements.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
davidjay wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:33 pm
I agree that they should have been prosecuted, but I think that first of all, they'd have been better served doing some form of community service, and second, that these sentences set a precedent for anyone else deemed to be making inflammatory 'political' statements.
They did far more than that.
Jaswant Narwal, from the CPS, said: “The prosecution case demonstrated these defendants were not merely exercising their right to free speech but were instead aiming religiously-aggravated abuse at innocent members of the public. The victims suffered the distress of the abuse followed by additional stress when the footage was uploaded to the internet.
lord_kobel liked this

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
I was hoping this would be happening. The Sun were screeching at the Social Media giants to crackdown on extremist material. Sure, this isn't what they had in mind, but this is what they demanded. Epic backfire.

Winegums, can you get a non-moving avatar? Th[…]

Boris Johnson

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson Says He Is D[…]

Jacob Rees-Mogg

Matthew 6:5 applies.

Meanwhile in America

Sherrod Brown was my choice. I know it's easy to o[…]