Discussion of other UK political parties
:sunglasses: 48.4 % ❤ 3.1 % :thumbsup: 7.8 % :grinning: 29.7 % 🧥 4.7 % 🙏 1.6 % 😟 3.1 % :shit: 1.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
OFCOM rules or no, it does seem to be taking the piss a little, and I can actually understand Allen being somewhat peeved.

That said, let's hear it for the HIGNFY production team (not a sentence I type every day).
BBC pulls Heidi Allen episode of Have I Got News For You - a day after Nigel Farage appears on Question Time

The show's production team took to social media to apologise, as viewers turned on BBC One to find a repeat of Would I Lie To You instead.

In the statement it said: "Sorry everyone. The BBC have pulled tonight's edition of #HIGNFY - no, we didn't book Danny Baker. We booked Heidi Allen, a member of a party no-one knows the name of (not even the people in it), because the Euro elections, which nobody wants, may or may not be happening. Sorry."

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... -1-6044784
Arrowhead wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:11 pm
Change UK had a golden opportunity to forge a robust Remain alliance, and thereby take the credit for overseeing a potentially game-changing shift in UK politics. It's literally what their party is called. Instead, they've fluffed their lines, pissed off their allies and blamed everybody else for their mistakes.
Not that they haven't made mistakes (lots and lots of mistakes) since, but the whole enterprise had the air of being holed below the waterline from day one.

It didn't help that the months of rumours about a new centrist party had built up the idea of a British En Marche!, with multiple defectors from Labour, the Conservatives and the Lib Dems, with the possibility of some heavy hitters (especially from Labour) taking up the senior roles. Instead of which we got seven Labour rebels, only two of whom could rely on being picked out of a lineup by their own mothers. The expectation versus reality equation was not kind.
Arrowhead, Timbo liked this
Boiler wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:08 am
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:03 am
Yeah, this does smack a bit of ‘ooh, balance! while Farage happily warms his usual QT seat.
And was Farage alone and uncontested on that panel?
Yeah, I know it’s the OFCOM rules and all that and it’s by the book. But still galling that someone from one party can’t host a comedy show where - more likely than not - she’d have the piss taken, while the UK’s bigot in chief has his number on bloody speed dial and gets another chunk of airtime despite having 0 MPs, 0 MEPs, no longer being in the party he was elected as an MEP for and having failed 7 times to be elected to parliament.
lord_kobel liked this
She wasn't hosting, she was a guest - Jo Brand was the host. You'll get no disagreement from me regarding Farage but technically none of CHUK's MPs are elected - they formed a group under that banner. Similarly, are there UKIP MEPs that have defected to the Brexit Party?
crabcakes_windermere wrote: But still galling that someone from one party can’t host a comedy show where - more likely than not - she’d have the piss taken, while the UK’s bigot in chief has his number on bloody speed dial and gets another chunk of airtime despite having 0 MPs, 0 MEPs, no longer being in the party he was elected as an MEP for and having failed 7 times to be elected to parliament.
Who also hosted said comedy show a month before the last EU elections...
Philip Marlow wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:36 am
Arrowhead wrote:
Change UK had a golden opportunity to forge a robust Remain alliance, and thereby take the credit for overseeing a potentially game-changing shift in UK politics. It's literally what their party is called. Instead, they've fluffed their lines, pissed off their allies and blamed everybody else for their mistakes.
Not that they haven't made mistakes (lots and lots of mistakes) since, but the whole enterprise had the air of being holed below the waterline from day one.

It didn't help that the months of rumours about a new centrist party had built up the idea of a British En Marche!, with multiple defectors from Labour, the Conservatives and the Lib Dems, with the possibility of some heavy hitters (especially from Labour) taking up the senior roles. Instead of which we got seven Labour rebels, only two of whom could rely on being picked out of a lineup by their own mothers. The expectation versus reality equation was not kind.
I didn't really pick up that expectation- I thought 7 from Labour was quite a lot, even if some were obscure. I didn't expect any Tories, and got 3. If it comes to some sort of agreement with the Lib Dems, it could still be useful as a destination for sane Tories. But unless they put together some policies- this should be piss easy, how many think tanks are there they could lift them from?- they're dead. Nick Boles probably got it right- even if you walk out of the Tories, there's not much point joining this lot.
Philip Marlow wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:36 am
Arrowhead wrote:

I didn't really pick up that expectation- I thought 7 from Labour was quite a lot, even if some were obscure. I didn't expect any Tories, and got 3. If it comes to some sort of agreement with the Lib Dems, it could still be useful as a destination for sane Tories. But unless they put together some policies- this should be piss easy, how many think tanks are there they could lift them from?- they're dead. Nick Boles probably got it right- even if you walk out of the Tories, there's not much point joining this lot.
Whatever you think of Change UK at least there not as toxic as Labour.

https://marlonsolomon.wordpress.com/201 ... utes-hate/
To those following the saga of antisemitism in the Labour Party it came as no surprise to see the issue back in headlines as Luciana Berger, the Jewish Labour MP for Wavertree Liverpool, faced a motion of no confidence from her own constituency Labour Party (CLP) for being critical of Jeremy Corbyn. Even though the motion didn’t explicitly mention antisemitism it became inescapable not to see it a causing factor given most of Berger’s criticisms of the Labour leadership stem from their inability to deal with the corrosive issue of anti-Jewish hatred in the party, which she herself had become a lightening rod for. A few days later, Berger, along with seven other Labour MP’s resigned from the party citing antisemitism as a major, if not defining, factor. With a Jewish Labour MP hounded out of the Labour Party because of racism, the debate on antisemitism in the party has reached a point of singularity. By examining in detail what happened to her the entire culture of conspiratorial antisemitism, that has become endemic in the Labour Party under Jeremy Corbyn, can be laid bare.

Over the past three years Berger has been subjected to an insidious campaign of abuse, on and off social media, from a section of Jeremy Corbyn’s support base; it reached a crescendo before and after the Labour Conference when it was revealed that she had police protection with her. This revelation resulted in a crusade of dehumanising conspiracy theory and vilification by a raft of pro-Corbyn blogs and media outlets, led by Skwawkbox, which even went so far as to call for her deselection.
Boiler wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:23 pm
She wasn't hosting, she was a guest - Jo Brand was the host. You'll get no disagreement from me regarding Farage but technically none of CHUK's MPs are elected - they formed a group under that banner. Similarly, are there UKIP MEPs that have defected to the Brexit Party?
Actually, hang on - she is an MP and so not even standing in the EU elections but she couldn’t appear on a show, but Farage *is* standing and could?

That seems wrong, whatever the parties involved?!?
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:36 pm
Boiler wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:23 pm
Actually, hang on - she is an MP and so not even standing in the EU elections but she couldn’t appear on a show, but Farage *is* standing and could?

That seems wrong, whatever the parties involved?!?
Again - Farage was balanced on QT with other politicians around him. I've no idea who the other guest was on HIGNFY but you've a comedian (Merton), a journalist (Hislop), another guest and the host (Brand). I can't really make it any clearer, can I?

My first thought was that HIGNFY didn't need to be balanced as it didn't influence viewers' opinions. The I remembered Boris Johnson. He got plenty of coverage presenting himself as a harmless buffoon.
'Have I Got News For You' Row Escalates As Change UK Complains To BBC Chief

In a letter to BBC director general Lord Hall, it also called on the BBC to “review your decision to bar our party” from the BBC Wales election candidates’ debate, to be broadcast on Sunday.
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/have-i-got-news-for-you-row_uk_5cd6d045e4b054da4e8a204f
The Brexit Party

"President of the EU". I can't read w[…]

The Tories, Generally

Margot James is getting a lot of attention. Stourb[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

Trying to claim this was done in the name of Jewis[…]

GE 2020

This'll bring em back to the fold. Trade deal with[…]