Discussion of other UK political parties
:sunglasses: 48.5 % ❤ 3 % :thumbsup: 7.6 % :grinning: 28.8 % 🧥 4.5 % 🙏 1.5 % 😟 3 % :shit: 3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Winegums wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:30 pm
Bear in mind May managed to coast along as PM by just refusing to resign.
Similar to corbyn. He lost the confidence of the PLP but wouldn't step down. He then couldn't get the backers to actually stand again as leader, but cheated his way in anyway.

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:19 pm

That pressure to go is usually also ramped up by a capable opposition. But when the person opposite is no threat and is doing worse in the polls than you are, that source of pressure disappears.
Not quite true - plenty of polling is putting Labour in the lead, and the Tories really didn't want to expose any internal strife with a leadership election. They were pinned in and knew that anything that risks a GE risked losing power for a long time. That's part of the reason May stayed where she was. Why would they keep a dud leader when Corbyn was "no threat"?
Corbyn is no threat. The reason Labour show a ‘lead’ in some polls is because the Tories have lost more votes to Farage than Labour have to the Lib Dems. That’s the threat - and it only takes a no deal pact and the promise of a ministerial car or a gong for Nigel for that problem to go away.

Without the Brexit party, that ‘lead’ evaporates.
lord_kobel liked this

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
Weird that they were wary of another GE before the brexit party existed, when Labour also had a polling lead.

By Snowflake
Boiler wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:00 am
Pro-Brexit war veteran jailed for Heidi Allen posts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-49282861
The Mail has moderated it's comments, but a quick check on the voting tells you all you need to know.
Boiler wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:00 am
Pro-Brexit war veteran jailed for Heidi Allen posts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-c ... e-49282861
Heroes all.

By Boiler
It will upset a few I know but when I was a teenager, you went in the forces because you were either obsessed with aeroplanes or you were too shit to even get a job in local government.
How many Daily Mail readers do you think would willingly go for a night out in Aldershot? It's all projection of their own macho fantasies.

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:40 pm
It will upset a few I know but when I was a teenager, you went in the forces because you were either obsessed with aeroplanes or you were too shit to even get a job in local government.
Or as my nan said, "You didn't have a good home".

By Boiler
davidjay wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:05 pm
Boiler wrote:
And yet one day I bumped into an old school mate a few years after we left school who went into the army and it was the making of him - he was a really nice guy.

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
When I left school the basic routes were; clever kids went to uni, those who could write neatly got an office job (me), those good with their hands got an apprenticeship, and the rest joined the army

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:52 pm
davidjay wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:05 pm
Boiler wrote:
And yet one day I bumped into an old school mate a few years after we left school who went into the army and it was the making of him - he was a really nice guy.
A friend of mine - Guardian reader, pinko Commie to the core - was in for years because he couldn't get a job and a better man you couldn't wish to meet but that was always the perception; the army was for what would now be called the underclass.
Poppy Day bingo

It's even worse if you see the hashtags on their o[…]

2019 General Election

Now that would be a nice one. This wasn't encour[…]

UKIP

https://twitter.com/Rubbertoes10/status/1194016112[…]

Nigel Farage

Shocking nobody, I should think: Nigel Farage […]