Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 34.5 % ❤ 0.8 % :thumbsup: 7.6 % 😯 2.5 % :grinning: 42 % 🧥 3.4 % 🙏 1.7 % 😟 3.4 % :cry: 3.4 % :shit: 0.8 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Tommy Gun
Membership Days
Andy McDandy wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:05 pm
A trade deal that won't happen if the GFA is broken. And if it is, is with a POTUS who has repeatedly shown that he's willing and able to throw anyone under a bus.
Brexiteers are still convinced he will be a saviour to the UK and lead it to a land of milk and honey.Boris is one of those

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:50 pm
I genuinely had to double check this wasn't a parody account.

"in my great and unmatched wisdom"

Fucking hell...
If that isn't grounds for implementing Section 4 of the 25th Amendment to the COTUS, then I'd dread to think what would it actually take.

By Biggus Robbus
Tommy Gun wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:15 pm
Andy McDandy wrote:
A trade deal that won't happen if the GFA is broken. And if it is, is with a POTUS who has repeatedly shown that he's willing and able to throw anyone under a bus.
Brexiteers are still convinced he will be a saviour to the UK and lead it to a land of milk and honey.Boris is one of those

To be frank, Trump is such a fan of Brexit that he will probably find a way to bypass Congress by declaring a national emergency or some shit.

He did that by continuing to sell arms to Saudi for the Yemen conflict.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Biggus Robbus wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:56 am
Tommy Gun wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:15 pm
Andy McDandy wrote:

To be frank, Trump is such a fan of Brexit that he will probably find a way to bypass Congress by declaring a national emergency or some shit.

He did that by continuing to sell arms to Saudi for the Yemen conflict.
He might hold off doing some shit like that if he gets a phone call from an Irish political "friend" of his...

Arrowhead, Timbo liked this

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Meanwhile, back to Turkey & Syria...

Turkey-Syria border: Trump threatens to 'obliterate' Turkish economy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-49966216

Presumably his plan to ruin Turkey's economy would involve him in becoming their president.

But on a more serious note, it's a timely reminder to every non-governmental group receiving material support from the USA - don't trust them as they'll stab you in the back when they no longer "need" you.

By Snowflake
I must admit to not really following the case of the death of Harry Dunn until the last couple of days, but I have a strong feeling this is going to escalate. His parents were interviewed on Sky news earlier this evening and said their intention was to fly to America to seek legal action and present their case.

I wonder if Trump will intervene and whether they even be allowed entry. Thinking back to the Amanda Knox case I have a feeling there is practically zero chance that the US, or specifically Trump, will give up Anne Sacoolas, unless maybe she voted for Hillary.
Donald Trump is 'very upset' Amanda Knox voted for Hillary Clinton, says advisor
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 86436.html

Media sympathy for the family in the UK could also evaporate rapidly if there look to be serious implications for UK/US relations.

By Boiler
Proof that the convention needs revisiting, or tearing up. But the UK is so far up the arse of the Yanks nothing will happen.

I have heard suggestions that it's the usual issue with dumbfuck Americans - whilst they're on a US base they drive on the right. And forget this when they go out onto UK roads.

By Biggus Robbus
spoonman wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:33 am

He might hold off doing some shit like that if he gets a phone call from an Irish political "friend" of his...

To be fair Trump is so thick he hasn't factored in the Irish American vote. Some Irish Americans haven't factored in Brexit yet either.

By Snowflake
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:57 pm
I think it's terrible. Just terrible. I get diplomatic immunity but for THIS? What a fucking travesty of justice. She shouldn't even have to be told to come back, she should be a decent human being and come back of her own accord.
Seemingly quiet today on all sides. This will either end up in Trump's inbox, or they will be taken aside here and gently advised to drop it. My money is now edging towards the latter.

Edit: Just updated my post as there has been further coverage this evening on Sky news and an interview with the families US lawyer. Not sure if Sky have exclusive coverage but they are certainly running with this.
Last edited by Snowflake on Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
Media sympathy for the family in the UK could also evaporate rapidly if there look to be serious implications for UK/US relations.
Actually I don't think it will. In an awful way it's the perfect David v Goliath story. Young, white English, completely innocent kid, loving and articulate family who are grieving but not vengeful, killed by someone with a dodgy driving history travelling on the wrong side of the road, who promptly lied to the police and buggered off out of the country when she might not even have diplomatic immunity anyway.

While in the past the tabloids have been able to obfuscate the central facts of huge cock-ups via a bit of victim blaming (cf Jean Charles de Menezes) there's no wriggle room for them here, and the family aren't going away.
Timbo liked this

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Last night the radio did one of their regular "Let's see what's hot news in America".

This case seems to be getting some attention, and a decent amount of sympathy.
I can't see Trump playing anything other than the Merica First card through.
UKIP

Braine-less - hahahah!

Nigel Farage

I wonder if deep down Nige really wants the UK to […]

Well, that was a pleasant sroll in the sunshine (u[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

The @Global moderators could move it into &qu[…]