Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 50 % :cry: 50 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
...young lazy foreign scroungers living lavish off welfare doing nothing but walk on the beach and go surfing in a s***hole? :evil:
Polish waitress packs in job for 'good life' on Irish welfare

A POLISH waitress living here has sparked fury after she boasted about living the good life on Irish welfare benefits. 'Magda' (36), not her real name, described her life on the dole in Donegal as a 'Hawaiian massage'.

She revealed how she had packed in her job so she could spend her days walking along beaches with her partner.

He in turn bragged about the county's wonderful golf courses.

Magda claimed she earned €67 more a week on the dole than she did while working and that her welfare payments are €182 more every week than back in her native Poland.

The shocking boasts in a Polish newspaper have ignited another debate on welfare tourism, with one Labour senator last night offering to pay for her flight home.

The ex-waitress told the Polish newspaper 'Gazeta Wyborcza' that instead of working she takes advantage of free education courses and goes surfing.

"How do I live? Wonderfully. I get an allowance of €188 a week plus €59 for the flat. In the winter I get an extra €20 for fuel. It's €267 a week," she said.

Magda doesn't identify the town in Co Donegal where she lives but she does call it a "s***hole".

Asked to describe her lifestyle, she went on: "The day starts in the same way. I go to the beach to watch the sunrise. It energises me for the rest for the day.

"Sometimes I sleep till noon and the nearest beach is five minutes away.

"What's our house like? Well, you can hear the ocean from the windows," she added.

Her partner Robert also bragged about life on the dole in Ireland, saying: "I won't get out of bed for €8 an hour especially when I have the sound of the ocean, golf courses and beautiful scenery."

Welfare

The Polish newspaper article compares Madga's life on benefits with what she would earn working as a waitress in Poland, where the average weekly wage is just €85.

Dole payments in Poland are less than in Ireland, averaging just €36.50 a week.

There is no housing benefit and there are strict time limits on social welfare payments.

Welfare claimants can only claim for three months if they quit a job and six months if they are fired, said the report.

Instead of working Madga said she spent her time at a local surf school and learned how to do sign language at the local VEC college.

She also noted the 'generous' winter fuel payments of €20 a week which compared with no such payments in Poland, where temperatures yesterday dipped to -13C.

Last night a Labour senator based in Donegal said the claims were 'outrageous'.

Senator Jimmy Harte told the Irish Independent: "This woman is doing an enormous disservice to the Polish community in Co Donegal and to other hard-working non-nationals.

"She has clearly taken advantage of Irish hospitality. I would like to see her go back to Poland and if we can find out who she is, I'd gladly pay for her flight home."

He added: "Apart from her clear intent to take advantage of our social welfare system, to describe her home as a s***hole just adds insult to injury."
http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 05781.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But surprise surprise, things are not what they seem... :?
...someone on Reddit tracked down the original article in the Polish press, put it through G**gle translate which paints quite a different light on things...
Anyway, rant over. On to the article:

From the Indo: 'Magda' (36), not her real name, described her life on the dole in Donegal as a 'Hawaiian massage'.

Original Article (badly translated): Magda is doing a basic massage, Hawaiian and hot stone, which she learned at the free course of office work: hot stones moves on the back, until they go down all the tension.

Indo: Magda doesn't identify the town in Co Donegal where she lives but she does call it a "s***hole".

Original: Donegal, a county on the northern tip of Ireland, but for some the most beautiful place in the world, for others - the biggest shithole. Wherever you look carefully, green hills and beaches to the horizon, like a postcard.

Indo: Sometimes I sleep till noon and the nearest beach is five minutes away

Original: Day start is always the same: go to the beach to see the sunrise. It charges me for the rest of the day. Once, I slept until noon, now pity that life.

Indo: Apart from her clear intent to take advantage of our social welfare system, to describe her home as a s***hole just adds insult to injury

Original: Do I have a problem with the fact that I am on benefit? Wonders. Yes. I do not want to live at the expense of the state, so I treat it as a support that will allow me to set up their own business. In the afternoon we go for coffee for 3 euros. The same can drink at home, but the point is - explains Magda - to support local businesses.

Indo: He in turn bragged about the county's wonderful golf courses.

**This last one confused me as I could not find any reference in the original article to the guy playing golf. Notice this though, it does not actually say he plays golf. Just that he is "bragging" about the golf courses. This is an interesting line as it creates a false illusion in your mind. He says in the original article that donegal has nice scenery and good beaches and golf courses - is this 'bragging' or stating a fact?
http://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comment ... on/c3msb3a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yep, the Irish Independent, the biggest selling daily newspaper in the Irish Republic, is talking shit. :!: :!: :!:

The Polish Ambassador to Ireland has now responded with an open letter to the newspaper in question...
Dear Editor,

I refer to the article “Welcome to ’good life’ on welfare – how Polish waitress embraced La Dole-ce Vita” published in the Irish Independent of Feb 1.

Firstly, let me focus on the article itself and on its level of inaccuracy relative to the original article (published in the magazine Wysokie Obcasy to the Polish daily Gazeta Wyborcza of Jan 29).

I wish to stress that the authors of the Irish article use the facts presented in the Polish article in a very selective and subjective manner. The subject ‘Magda’ states in the Polish article: “I have a big problem with being unemployed, I don’t want to live at the State’s expense and for that reason I use this assistance to allow me start up my own business”. I believe that this is the sentence that best summarizes the context of the original article and it is decidedly unfortunate that it has been omitted in your article.

In terms of her describing her life as ‘Hawaiian Massage’ , at no stage in this article does she make such a statement. What she actually says is that she has completed a FÁS course in Hawaiian Massage and that she’s planning to open a massage business next year. I think you can agree that this misrepresentation completely changes the tone of the article.

She also never describes the place where she lives as s***hole (in fact she loves it and is very passionate about it), she merely refers to other people saying that.

There are many other inaccuracies of that type throughout the Irish Independent article which could have been easily avoided if only the Polish article had been translated correctly or its content presented in a more objective manner.

I fully understand how potentially damaging this article might be to the good reputation that the Polish community has amongst Irish society and I ask your readers not to judge us on the basis of this solitary article. You have managed to get to know us well in recent years and you know our work ethic and our system of values which, I’m sorry to say, is inaccurately presented in this article published in the Irish Independent.

The decision to remain in Ireland that so many Polish people made in the recent years is a decision to make a valuable contribution to the Irish state by living and working here, integrating with the Irish society and being a part of it all in good times and bad. It’s impossible to imagine that this decision, sometimes a very painful one, is made on the basis of the level of unemployment benefit or other kinds of support granted to the jobless by the Irish State.

Polish people that come to Ireland are young, well educated, dynamic and ambitious people who make a conscious choice to settle down here. Their first priority in life is to make an honest living for themselves. I cannot say that people like Magda don’t exist – they do in every society and community around the world, including the Polish community in Ireland. On the basis of my personal experience with so many Poles living here, I can assure you that people like Magda constitute a very small minority of Poles in Ireland, and are in no way representative of the entire Irish – based Polish community.

The danger of an anti-immigrant atmosphere developing during harsh economic times is well-documented throughout history. I would hope that a major newspaper such as the Irish Independent would be conscious of this and take great care when fact-checking such a potentially inflammatory article.

Yours sincerely,

Marcin Nawrot
Ambassador
http://www.thejournal.ie/polish-ambassa ... 6-Feb2012/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Independent News & Media (who own the Independent) have plenty of form stirring it up especially to pit members of the public against each other. They should be thankful that Leveson has no jurisdiction over them. :roll:

By JohnG
Membership Days
At least the Irish Independent had the decency to publish the letter from the ambassador. The UK tabloid press don't seem to do this. (e.g. the Express failed to publish letters from EU officials pointing out inaccurate reports, while publishing readers' letters which basically repeated the same inaccuracy)

CORRECTION, Sorry, perhaps they didnt publish it, it says (above) that it was an open letter.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:A friend of mine drew my attention to this rubbish from the paper:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analy ... 27014.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"We, and democracy, need a rejuvenated Fianna Fail"

F**k Me! Fianna Fail deserve to be wiped off the political map in the Republic for the next 20 years.

That doesn't surprise me though, as whereas you can point to the main UK newspapers as having some political leaning towards the left or right, the Irish Independent likes to mimick Fianna Fail in that its ideology is not based on left or right, but on having the reigns of power. And it will try and do this whoever is in power at Leinster House, though Fianna Fail is better for them.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
My Irish friend told me the difference between Fianna Fail and Fine Gael was that when the EU bloke came over in about 2000 and said "Hey, chaps, we've been good to you. Can you maybe not pinch all our corporate headquarters?", Fianna Fail said "sod off". Fine Gael would have conceded they had a point, and eased up.

Don't you just love "none of that partisan politics here" politicians? See also the Corporation of London.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:My Irish friend told me the difference between Fianna Fail and Fine Gael was that when the EU bloke came over in about 2000 and said "Hey, chaps, we've been good to you. Can you maybe not pinch all our corporate headquarters?", Fianna Fail said "sod off". Fine Gael would have conceded they had a point, and eased up.

Don't you just love "none of that partisan politics here" politicians? See also the Corporation of London.
To the onlooker, (southern) Irish politics can look odd as you might not be able to tell much difference between the two main parties (or at least up until the last election) in Fianna Fail and Fine Gael - they're both descendants from political splits from the Irish Civil War. Both parties would lie somewhat centre to centre right economically (despite Bertie Ahern's protestations), both would be fairly socially conservative at differing levels. The most notable differences I'd say are that Fine Gael would be slightly more pro-agriculture and pro-business without leaning hugely to the right say compared to the English Conservatives and would have more respect for international co-operation as your friend made in their point. However they've never held a majority in the Daíl and have always ruled alongside Labour. Their association of Centrist Democrat International and the EPP would be a fair reflection alongside their fellow Christian Democrat partners in Europe. Fianna Fail on the other hand would be slightly more socially conservative but try and be all things to all people particularly when it comes to local issues, often called here "parish pump politics" where representatives will often be seen attending funerals, getting potholes fixed (or something else that should be done by the councils) and are generally more populist because of their insatiable thirst for power. The party of the "cute hoor", as the example above suggests. They're part of the European Liberal Democrat and Reform party which I cannot think for my life how on earth they were accepted into (after the Progressive Democrats folded) as I would find them hard to pigeon hole them in as liberals in most senses.

On a personal level I'd have more time for FG than FF, even if I don't always agree with their policies they at least try an establish themselves as a more "responsible" and stick-to-the-rules party compared to FF though they have already landed themselves in their first scandal breaking their pledge of salary ceilings for government advisor's.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Bertie Ahern to resign from Fianna Faíl

The corrupt f**ker should be glad it's only lying to a tribunal (therefore not contempt of court) he's being nailed for, it takes a lot to be as greasy as Charles J. Haughey but he's in the same league. He should be glad he's not being hung from a lampost. :evil:

"The money was just resting in my account..."

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Is it easier to do the non-corrupt ones?

I'm told John Bruton wasn't too bad.
John Bruton was from Fine Gael so didn't have the Fianna Faíl cute hoor blood run through his veins, and in the three years he was Taoiseach in the mid-90's, he led a "Rainbow Coalition" involving Labour and Democratic Left (The DL descendent from a split in the Workers Party and quite left wing) that at least lay roots for building the 'Celtic Tiger' and stop much of the flow of young Irish people going abroad to work. Funnily enough the coalition only came about because Labour pulled the plug on their government coalition with Fianna Fail. The Rainbow Coalition wasn't entirely free of corruption, but Bruton is in my opinion looked upon quite favourably among past Taoiseach's except by some Republicans whom they accused Bruton of being too accommodating of Unionists during peace process talks in the north.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Kicking this thread back to life, it seems that the Irish newspaper industry is highly determined to shoot itself in the foot...

http://www.mcgarrsolicitors.ie/2012/12/ ... y-the-web/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tl;dr version - basically a group that represents (most) Irish national and local newspapers now wants to charge you a minimum of €300 to link to any of their member websites - even the home page! :shock:

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Just to add to the above, the newspapers represented by the NNI include the Irish Daily Mail, whom don't have their own website - their stories can be found on their British sister's site at (for any potential legal reasons) www dot dailymail dot co dot uk

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Good grief!! :shock:
Irish council in Kerry bid to relax drink-drive limit

Councillors in south-west Ireland have backed a plan to relax the drink-drive limits for some isolated constituents.

The motion backed by Kerry county councillors would allow police to issue permits overriding the legal limit.

Councillor Danny Healy-Rae, who proposed the motion, said it would apply to "older people" who "are being isolated now at home, and a lot of them falling into depression".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21143199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I first heard the headline I knew it was either a satarical piece on somewhere like The Onion or Daily Mash, or something backed by someone named Healy-Rae. Glad to see I was right on the latter. :!: :!: :!:
Theresa May

John Crace, in The Guardian As so often, when […]

Jeremy Corbyn.

In the words of John Crace in The Guardian , &quo[…]

I suspect ‘All equally’ means haven&rs[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

A shame Germany have their own ideologically biase[…]