•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
The IrishTimes and IpsosMRBI exit poll predicts Ireland has voted to repeal the Eighth Amendment to the Constitution by a landslide 68 per cent to 32 per cent.

Fantastic result.
Malcolm Armsteen, Cyclist, oboogie and 1 others liked this

By Boiler
Catkins wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:26 pm
The IrishTimes and IpsosMRBI exit poll predicts Ireland has voted to repeal the Eighth Amendment to the Constitution by a landslide 68 per cent to 32 per cent.

Fantastic result.
.... and 'Remain' is expected to win.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
If those exit polls turn out to be accurate that'll be somewhat a surprising result given that the debate regarding abortion in the Republic was seen as being a much more divisive issue than that for the SSM referendum, and that passed 62/38. An opinion poll two years ago put a potential removal of the 8th Amendment at 48% Yes, 41% No and 11% Don't Know. It's also quite a social sea change given that a referendum back in 2002 to tighten up restrictions on abortion was only just narrowly defeated, and that the constitutional ban on divorce was only removed in 1995 by an even narrower margin.

Northern Ireland's going to stick out like a sore thumb, with the rest of the UK and it's southern/western neighbours allowing & recognising SSM and having laws on abortion that have moved on from 1861.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
spoonman wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 2:10 am
Northern Ireland's going to stick out like a sore thumb, with the rest of the UK and it's southern/western neighbours allowing & recognising SSM and having laws on abortion that have moved on from 1861.
If its citizens can cross the border for abortions instead of travelling to Britain, things may change there soon.

By KevS
Membership Days Posts
Nail hit on head during Sky News paper review this morning - if you voted no, what, exactly, has changed for you personally today compared to yesterday? They're not being made compulsory. You still have the choice NOT to have one.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
https://www.rte.ie/news/eighth-amendment/results/

At the moment the result tallies with the exit poll predictions though most of the remaining constituencies to declare are the more rural & socially conservative areas out west so the final yes vote will probably go down from 68% to around 64/65% I think.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Final Result...

Yes - 66.4% (1,429,981)
No - 33.6% (723,632)

Turnout - 64.1%

A decisive victory for the repeal side by 2:1.

Also I think this following tweet is well worth pointing out - the amount of "dark money" along with a notable number of American's coming into the country to do campaigning was evident...

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
God, imagine having a referendum and not using it as an opportunity to turn your entire nation into a massive dumpster fire of shit.
youngian, Cyclist, spoonman and 2 others liked this
Sundry far-right groups and parties.

It appears that Anne-Marie Waters' For Britain p[…]

Daily Express headline today

I don't get the Express's angle on this. I would h[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

My experience of (older) Cisco stuff is... not g[…]

Labour, Generally.

Johnson brought this in. As part of his lifelong a[…]