•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
Grim article on Vladimir Putin's pet Stalin-worshipping god-bothering biker gang. Not making this up.

In the Moscow compound of the Night Wolves, the Russian equivalent of the Hells Angels, ships’ conrods have been refashioned as crosses ten feet high. Broken plane parts have been bolted to truck engines to make a giant stage; crushed Harley-Davidsons have been beaten into a bar; boats’ hulls have been moulded into chairs; and train parts into Valhalla-sized tables. The crosses are everywhere, wrenched together out of old bike parts and truck shafts and engines. The Night Wolves, or Nochnye Volki, are bikers who have found a Russian God. In an act of patriotism they have changed all the words on their leathers from Latin lettering to a gothic Cyrillic. One of the Hells Angels symbols, a ‘1 per cent’ inside a diamond, is still etched on a great stone at the entrance to their kingdom. In Hells Angels lore it stands for the 1 per cent who are outlaws. But the Night Wolves have engraved a new text around the diamond, transforming its meaning: ‘In heaven there is more joy at the 1 per cent of sinners who confess than the 99 per cent who have no need of salvation.’

‘We only have a few years to rescue the soul of holy Russia,’ Alexei Weitz said. ‘Just a few years.’ Weitz is a leading member of the Night Wolves. There are five thousand of them in Russia, five thousand Beowulf-like bearded men in leathers riding Harleys. It’s Weitz who has done most to turn them from outlaws into religious patriots. For the past few years, Vladimir Putin has posed for photo-ops with them, dressed in leathers and riding a tri-bike (he can’t quite handle a two-wheeler). They defended the ‘honour of the church’ after the Pussy Riot affair, roaring in a cavalcade through Moscow bearing golden icons of Mary the Mother of Christ on the front of their Harleys. The Kremlin gives them several hundred million rubles a year and they work to inspire loyalty across the country with concerts and bike shows that fuse flying Yamahas, Cirque du Soleil-style trapeze acts, Spielberg-scale battle re-enactments, religious icons, holy ecstasies, speeches from Stalin and dancing girls (there are booths for go-go girls next to the great crosses). At the last concert in Volgograd, 250,000 locals turned up, a world record for a ‘bike show’. Evander Holyfield was meant to come, to introduce a boxing match that went with the patriotic fireworks, but he had to pull out at the last minute – there was a problem with his visa. Everyone sang the anti-communist perestroika anthem ‘We Want Changes’.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v35/n19/peter-pome ... f-delirium
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
Jesus Christ.

Kuwait and other states will conduct medical tests in an attempt to “detect” homosexuals trying to enter Gulf states, a senior official has announced.

Yousouf Mindkar said routine clinical screenings of expatriates entering Gulf Cooperation Countries (GCC) such as Kuwait would be introduced at airports. Persons who are identified as LGBT through the tests would then be refused entry into the country.

Speaking to local daily paper Al Rai, the director of public health at the Kuwaiti health ministry said that whilst medical centres already conduct tests to assess the health of those entering Kuwait, they will “take stricter measures that will help us detect gays who will be then barred from entering Kuwait or any of the GCC member states.”

He did not detail exactly what procedures these screenings would involve.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 67046.html

These Gulf regimes are really nothing more than business-friendly Talibans.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Fflaps wrote:And how exactly will they detect homosexuality? As far as I am aware no one has yet invented a machine with gaydar. :?

Perhaps your bag is searched for Liza Minnelli CDs.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Fflaps wrote:And how exactly will they detect homosexuality? As far as I am aware no one has yet invented a machine with gaydar. :?

That would prove you're "straight". All the gays I've met have better taste. :lol:

(not a Liza Minelli fan, me)

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:

They play Jan Moir videos at you. - But we'd all fail that one.

I suspect it's more likely that they "Just know" - holy men are great at that sort of stuff.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Posts
Fozzy wrote:I have a nasty feeling that it involves the guards having a lovely time checking out people's anuses.

As one does. :shock:

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:
Fozzy wrote:I have a nasty feeling that it involves the guards having a lovely time checking out people's anuses.

As one does. :shock:

There's not a lot to do in some of these arid dictatorships, they find ways to make their own fun.

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts

I've never understood that. Surely they know it goes back to it's original shape afterwards, right? It's just like having a shit in reverse.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
That war in Afghanistan has been worthwhile then.

Afghan government officials have proposed reintroducing public stoning as a punishment for adultery, Human Rights Watch said, even though the practice has been denounced both inside and outside the country as one of the most repugnant symbols of the Taliban regime.

The sentence for married adulterers, along with flogging for unmarried offenders, appears in a draft revision of the country's penal code being managed by the ministry of justice.

There are several references to stoning in a translated section of the draft seen by the Guardian, including detailed notes on judicial requirements for handing down the sentence.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/n ... adulterers

Think I've mentioned it before but Frank Ledwidge's recent book, Investment in Blood, is an excellent analysis of the war in Afghanistan.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Investment-Bloo ... 030019062X
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
You thought Silicon Valley libertarians were annoying? They are of course, but they've got nothing on this lot.

Many of us yearn for a return to one golden age or another. But there’s a community of bloggers taking the idea to an extreme: they want to turn the dial way back to the days before the French Revolution.

Neoreactionaries believe that while technology and capitalism have advanced humanity over the past couple centuries, democracy has actually done more harm than good. They propose a return to old-fashioned gender roles, social order and monarchy.

You may have seen them crop-up on tech hangouts like Hacker News and Less Wrong, having cryptic conversations about “Moldbug” and “the Cathedral.” And though neoreactionaries aren’t exactly rampant in the tech industry, PayPal founder Peter Thiel has voiced similar ideas, and Pax Dickinson, the former CTO of Business Insider, says he’s been influenced by neoreactionary thought. It may be a small, minority world view, but it’s one that I think shines some light on the psyche of contemporary tech culture.

Enough has been written on neoreaction already to fill at least a couple of books, so if you prefer to go straight to the source, just pop a Modafinil and skip to the “Neoreaction Reading List” at the end of this post. For everyone else, I’ll do my best to summarize neoreactionary thought and why it might matter.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/22/geeks-for-monarchy/
The Mail's Front Page Headline

Ah, I dunno that it's even that limited. I've neve[…]

Momentum

I will now lay my cards on the table and tell you […]

Would appreciate any Twitterers getting this out, […]

Nigel Farage

It's a hard time of year for anyone to find a spar[…]