Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 26.9 % :thumbsup: 19.2 % 😯 7.7 % :grinning: 19.2 % 🧥 7.7 % :cry: 19.2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Turkish president Erdogan 'threw Trump's Syria letter in bin'

urkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan put US President Donald Trump's letter "in the bin", the BBC has been told.

In the letter dated 9 October, and sent after US troops were pulled out of Syria, Mr Trump told Mr Erdogan: "Don't be a tough guy. Don't be a fool!"

Turkish presidential sources told BBC Turkish that the letter was "thoroughly rejected" by Mr Erdogan.

On the day the letter was received, Turkey launched a cross-border offensive against Kurdish-led forces...

...Donald Trump's mixture of threats and locker-room banter infuriated Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. His staff told the BBC that he threw the letter into the bin and launched the Syrian operation the same day. That could be proof there was no Trumpian green light....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-50080737
Bestest President ever makong America Great again. Bigly.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
The stupidity, it never stops

Texas cop shoots son, mistaking him for intruder

A Texas police officer has shot his son, mistaking him for an intruder, a police spokesperson said.

The gunfire rang out at the officer's home in the Dallas suburb of Desoto on Saturday evening.

The police have not filed any charges and have ruled out foul play. "It was an accident," said DeSoto Police spokesperson Pete Schulte.

The son, in his 20s, suffered a non-life threatening injury to his forearm, said Mr Schulte.

The police spokesperson said the off-duty officer returned home on Saturday evening and realised it wasn't in the state that he had left it. He was also unaware that his son was at home...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50214891

If the son had a gun this wouldn't have happened.

MORE GUNS!!

MORE GUNS!!!1!!!111!

MORE GUNS!!!11!!11!!!!1!

You know it makes sense :roll:

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Suppose it could have been worse. Being such a bad shot shot, it could have left yet another entirely innocent black teenager roaming the streets, free to terrorise right thinkin' white folks.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
This is the 3rd "Visiting family member shot by visitee" incident I can recall in 2 months.

In each case, somebody aims to make a relative happier with a friendly visit and winds up dead or in hospital.
In each case there's some mealy mouthed police statement about "No laws broken, as through it's perfectly normal to gun down people coming up your front garden".

When the likes of the NRA talk (as they do, rarely) about safety and responsible gun use - they're just bullshitting, aren't they.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I read somewhere that this is partly due to US government schemes in the wake of 9/11. Fearing civil violence and disturbances, police forces were equipped with SWAT level equipment and were trained in its use, even in rural and suburban areas where it wasn't really needed. Not that it was anywhere.

Much of the training was done by barely qualified people, posing as experts while actually little more than Walter Mitty types, or gun nuts. Recruitment standards were lowered, in some areas down to "anyone want to have a go?". So you get people who wouldn't pass muster as a security guard given rudimentary training in firearms by incompetents and wannabe vigilantes, told that everyone (in particular "other" people) are all threats, and that it's okay if mistakes are made, because something something big picture.
Boiler, Malcolm Armsteen, Samanfur and 3 others liked this

By Samanfur
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
"Fake news, I agree with President Trump,” commissioner Scott Carnahan said. “I don’t want the New York Times in this county. I don’t agree with it, I don’t like ’em, it’s fake news and I’m voting no. They can take that money and do something else with it … I support Donald Trump.”
The 24 October meeting occurred the same day the White House said it was planning to order federal agencies to end their subscriptions to the New York Times and the Washington Post because the newspapers have published stories that reflect poorly on the president.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
On a lighter note...
California giant bear trapped in bin helped by police
The black bear known as T-Shirt by the local community in Kings Beach, northern California, needed some extra help to escape.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us- ... -by-police

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Also...
Virginia elects woman who gave president the finger

A woman who was fired for raising her middle finger at US President Donald Trump's motorcade has been elected to local office in Virginia.

Juli Briskman's hand gesture went viral in 2017, leading to her losing a job with a government contractor.

The single mother won more than 52% of the vote to be elected district representative in Loudoun county.

At the state level, US Democrats have seized full control of the Virginia legislature...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50315490
Politically, it's not all doom and gloom in Leftpondia.
The Red Arrow liked this

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Ohio passes "Student Religious Liberties Act"

The bill allows public school students to give inaccurate answers to scientific questions, as long as their inaccuracies are religiously based.

https://secondnexus.com/news/ohio-house ... education/

Imagine the 2030 US Navy being built from Cedar Wood, sized in Cubits and weighed in Talents.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
She's right.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/22/uk/a ... index.html
Hill's statement was right and she could have gone further. Even now in 2019, the upper echelons of government, the private sector and the civil service are largely still dominated by people from backgrounds very different to Hill.
A report published in June of this year by the Social Mobility Commission, an independent advisory body funded by the UK government, revealed that a staggering number of top jobs in the UK are held by people who were privately educated.
The report, for example, revealed that 65% of senior judges were educated in private schools, as were 59% of top civil servants. 52% of the UK's diplomatic service went to private school, as did 29% of the total number of lawmakers in the House of Commons.
For context, only around 6.5% of British children are currently in private education, according to the Independent Schools Council. And the fees for attending private schools has exploded in the last decade, partly due to the influx of wealthy international students whose parents see these top UK institutions as a path into the British establishment.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
From a USAnian acquaintance in Another Place:

According to the "scam alert" posted at the checkstand, Home Depot gift cards cannot be used to pay bail bonds.

For the non-cognoscenti, Home Depot (pronounced Dee-Po) is a USAnian equivalent of B&Q.
HIGNFY

I can't see the BBC surviving Johnson's first term[…]

The new leader of the Labour Party

On the plus side, if Long Bailey becomes the an[…]

Labour, Generally.

I assumed Blue Labour was either a joke, or a set-[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

A wet paper bag full of lead shot has more intrins[…]