Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 23.7 % :thumbsup: 15.3 % 😯 22 % :grinning: 23.7 % 🧥 3.4 % 🙏 1.7 % :cry: 10.2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:35 am
As recently as 2017, most Americans did not support the movement (BLM) now, by a 28-point margin, they do. Even “your president of law and order” now feels compelled to institute police reforms, however inadequate. That counts as a glimmer of progress. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... nal-shame/

Why has this happened? White people have seen the police as the thin blue line and usually support them after riots that follow a black driver getting beaten on the news. Here’s a guess; Police forces are encouraged to be self financing and can raise money from fines and civil asset seizure with bonuses for the cops. They follow the money so its white middle class motorists that are the easiest to shake down. They’re being caught up in police arrogance and corruption for the first time in their lives.
It's also because the of the response to the protests by many police departments.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I think it's entirely possible that he means that some police forces apologised and took the knee, in effect supporting the protesters. There is a great unease amongst more liberal Americans about both the militarisation of police forces - and not just SWAT and response teams - and the recruitment, in some forces, of large numbers of people with white supremacist, even Nazi, views. Those people would be encouraged by such a police reaction, I would think.

I wish he would write a bit of explanation for his one-liners.
oboogie liked this

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
oboogie wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:43 pm
Which word?
Spot the difference
It's also because the of the response to the protests by many police departments.
It's also because of the response to the protests by many police departments.

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
Cyclist wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:48 pm
The superfluous definite article, which "merely" removed all meaning from the post.
Only for people unfamiliar with typos, I think most people can probably cope.

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:34 pm
oboogie wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:43 pm
Which word?
Spot the difference
It's also because of the response to the protests by many police departments.
Yes, you had a superfluous word which auto edits out in most people's minds. But you didn't explain your meaning.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Just another example of racism in America.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bl ... d-n1231005
A sheriff in Virginia has apologized to a Black pastor who was mistakenly arrested after he called authorities for help during an alleged attack by a white family earlier this month.

Pastor Leon McCray was at his home on June 1 when he saw two people trying to dump a refrigerator on his property, he recounted during a church service Sunday. When McCray told them to stop, one person proceeded to verbally attack him and the other one went to get three other people.

McCray said that all five people started attacking him verbally and physically. They were "threatening to kill me... telling me that my Black life didn't matter," he said. That's when he felt the need to pull his concealed firearm to save his life, he said. The group of people then left and McCray proceeded to call 9-1-1 for help.

But when authorities arrived, they didn't ask McCray what happened, he said. They spoke to the white family of five who had just attacked him, he said.

"I was not given an opportunity to speak," said McCray, adding that officers told him they had to arrest him for brandishing a gun. "And I said, what about the trespassing and the assault?"

Instead, McCray "was handcuffed in front of my assaulters" by an officer who has known him from the community for over 20 years, he said, adding "they waved at me as I go down the road... . Do you know how disturbing that is?"

It was "a day that changed my life," the pastor said.

On Friday, Shenandoah County Sheriff Timothy Carter announced that the brandishing charge against McCray would be dropped and that five people were arrested after the sheriff's office "obtained warrants for more severe charges regarding this investigation."

Donny Salyers, 43, Dennis Salyers, 26, Farrah Salyers, 42, Christopher Sharp, 57, and Amanda Salyers, 26, are all facing charges for hate crimes and various degrees of assault. Both Donny and Dennis Salyers are also charged with assault and battery. Sharp and Amanda Salyers are also charged with trespassing.

By Boiler
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53247757
A US woman has been shot while trying to remove a Nazi flag from someone's front yard in the state of Oklahoma.

Garfield County Sheriff's office said the woman had been at a party nearby when she took one of two flags being flown outside Alexander Feaster's home.

Mr Feaster, 44, then reportedly shot her in the back with a semi-automatic rifle as she ran away.
Labour, Generally.

Interview with her on Channel 4 News tonight.

Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

Not at all. It would be painted as Stalinist be[…]

Toby Young

https://mobile.twitter.com/codward333/status/12924[…]

Boris Johnson

Another Putinesque photo. Will the real dumbbell[…]