Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 25.6 % ❤ 1.2 % :thumbsup: 14.6 % 😯 20.7 % :grinning: 23.2 % 🧥 2.4 % 🙏 1.2 % :cry: 11 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Boiler
Just listening to Nick Robinson interviewing someone, who felt that the net effect of the debacle would be that it might cause the undecided to say "This is disgraceful and I don't want to be a part of this" and not vote.

Which I suspect is what Trump wants.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:22 am
Just listening to Nick Robinson interviewing someone, who felt that the net effect of the debacle would be that it might cause the undecided to say "This is disgraceful and I don't want to be a part of this" and not vote.

Which I suspect is what Trump wants.
So that performance was a complex crafty master plan at play? I’ve been leaning towards Trump winning but the above mentioned view is a bit of straw clutching.
oboogie liked this
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Wasn't a debate, it was like a drunk in a bar shouting over everyone. Thing is Trump has maxed out his core vote and won't attract any new voters. That is hopeful. Also courting support from some far right nutters might backfire, most people instinctively don't like aggro and tend to go for stabilising influences.

Here's hoping

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I'm guessing the play was if Biden lets Trump talk over him, he's weak and Trump wins. If Biden loses his rag, he's temperamental and unstable and Trump wins. If Biden struggles to speak because interrupting someone with a stutter can cause them problems, Trump makes him look weak and Trump wins.

To his credit, Biden got it *absolutely* right. Just the right level of toughness without losing composure, and no stutters or gaffes, and given Trump's ranting performance it *clearly* didn't go to script. And Trump gifted Biden's team with the Proud Boys thing. It won't have added much to Trump's base as only someone already on board could look at that shitshow and think it was a decent performance. It almost certainly has reassured some people that Biden is still sharp, can handle himself, looks presidential, and that re-electing Trump is an outright win for white supremacy.

Again, it's about that tipping point rather than the huge final nail in his coffin. People who voted for him will be like brexiteers - it takes a lot to get over yourself and admit you were wrong rather than stick with it and hope you're eventually proven right. But every time a few more are chipped away, that's another safe GOP state bought into play, or another electoral college vote more likely. Biden needs as close as possible to a landslide to shut down Trump's rigged election claims before they get going, and all the travel is in that direction.
Oblomov liked this

By davidjay
I wonder at what point Biden might think it worth refusing to debate anymore. Doing the whole empty chair thing might backfire in normal circumstances but there's every possibility that Trump would rant for an hour and start abusing the chair.

By Boiler
davidjay wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:16 pm
I wonder at what point Biden might think it worth refusing to debate anymore. Doing the whole empty chair thing might backfire in normal circumstances but there's every possibility that Trump would rant for an hour and start abusing the chair.
No, because he'll end up being called "Chicken Joe" by the Trump campaign. Far better to just turn up, state his case and treat Trump with disdain.

By Tubby Isaacs
Yeah, he has to turn up And I think the moderators have to avoid turning off the mic. The more Trump acts like that, the more likely Pennsylvania gets called for Biden by supper time.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By crabcakes_windermere
It's in Biden's interest to turn up every time, because for 4 years Trump has had no one stood next to him showing by comparison what a statesman actually looks like. The last election it was all about him "rising to the occasion of the office" when he acted like a jerk, with people excusing his "fresh, outsider approach" as something that he'd change once in the White House. He didn't, and has instead deteriorated - short of launching a nuke, he did everything people feared he would and then some, and acted like a petulant brat while he did it.

People have been beaten down and have forgotten what normal is and normal looks like. And I suspect a lot of them would like it back, and not have to worry every day about what lunacy is coming next. Trump is exhausting, the last 4 years have been exhausting. Biden is an opportunity to rest, to not have to be exhausted, and to not have to worry every morning that something insane has happened. I don't think that appeal should be underestimated.
Shaun Bailey

It's like watching a shit version of Carcetti's […]

US election 2020

I'm delighted that Biden has "gone there"[…]

Was it followed by pictograms of a mushroom cloud […]

The Tories, Generally

The Tory spin and control of the media is so effe[…]