•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Philip Marlow
Membership Days
A long, worthwhile, and miserably disheartening piece by David Shulman in the latest NYRB.

The Last of the Tzaddiks
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2018/06 ... -tzaddiks/
...the government, driven by its extremist coalition partner the Jewish Home, is furthering a bill aimed at bypassing the High Court altogether by allowing a simple majority of sixty-one members of the Knesset to override the court’s rulings, particularly in cases involving basic human rights. This move is the most far-reaching attack ever made on the fundamental structure of Israeli democracy. If the bill passes, it will enshrine a tyranny of the majority and undermine the very concept of inalienable rights. We have come a long way from the days of Lauterpacht and Robinson.
Read it all, as they say.

By cycloon
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
'This is a great deal, I'm a great dealmaker, look, here's Mr Netandyahoo, great deal eh?'

It's Corbyn-esque in how it's 'dialogue' with only one party at the table.

Then Kushner kicks them when they're down, as ever. 'Why are you so shit at being shit, you shits?'

Transparent as all hell, but hey who cares, it's only brown people, they're crazy and sound weird, rather than having Legitimate Concerns about, uh, their right to life.

By cycloon
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
The thing that, admittedly based on my superficial grasp, really gets me is how utterly abusive the attitude to the Palestinians is in a discursive sense. Obviously this is secondary to the actual reality of occupation and repression, but the way it's dressed up as 'this is gold, we're so nice, you'd be crazy not to take it' is so egregiously disgusting... It's like an abusive partner. 'You make me do this', 'this is your fault', etc.
Last edited by cycloon on Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poppy Day bingo

I suppose it'll be like Clap for the NHS. A chance[…]

Labour, Generally.

When it comes to Len McCluskey Ben Bradshaw sums h[…]

Boris Johnson

Manchester is a city, Every city apart from Stoke […]

US election 2020

Gave him a wee tug. We'll soon find out. Kreu[…]