•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I was asking a friend Down under if he knew you could turn the Queen on a $5 note into excruciating oral sex. He said they will know

By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
Jesus Christ.

Wealthy parents could be required to pay for their children to attend public schools under a radical federal government proposal that would open the door to means-tested free public education.

The idea is outlined in a confidential discussion paper, developed within the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, that is set to spark a new national debate on school funding.

The schools chapter of the Abbott government's green paper on federation reform, obtained by Fairfax Media, also contains a proposal for the Commonwealth to abandon funding for all schools or for public schools.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... htkkz.html

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
That numbskull Tony Abbot's been ousted by Malcolm Turnball. He's been around for years

Malcolm Turnbull is set to become Australia’s new prime minister after beating Tony Abbott by 54 votes to 44 in a snap Liberal party ballot and promising the country a new, respectful, slogan-free leadership style.

The Liberal party whip Scott Buchholz announced the results to waiting journalists about 30 minutes after the meeting of parliamentarians began. There was one informal vote.

Julie Bishop remains deputy Liberal leader and a ministerial shakeup looms after the leadership upheaval. http://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne ... party-vote

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
Well, hopefully now they might at least pass equal marriage into law. From what I can gather, this new chap is economically right wing, but very modern on social issues. That might have something to do with his $133m personal fortune.

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Posts
His brother Bill must be delighted

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
From what I know of Malcolm Turnbull, he is much less of a cunt than Abbott though that isn't hard to achieve. Worth remembering also that Abbott got his leadership after turning on Turnbull the same way challenging for Liberal party leadership. Turnbull is very much of the classical liberal element of the Liberal party against the Abbott style conservativism that the Liberals had evolved into in the last couple of decades. Sadly for comedians and some TV shows, Turnbull will be less likely to make gaffs and drop clangers in public compared to his predecessor.

By Littlejohn's brain
Membership Days Posts
Is getting rid of Prime Ministers before their term has finished an Australian tradition?
By Carlos The Badger
Membership Days Posts
STRUTH, Bruce!!

And PMs are not presidents; they don't have a 'term'.

By cycloon
Membership Days Posts
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-35922858

University of NSW 'suggested' phrasing for British colonisation of Australia offers 'invaded' as a suitable verb, along with less value-laden adjedctives for Aborignal societies (i.e. not 'primitive' etc. Complex arguments ahoy). Murdoch papers outraged at 'rewriting of official history'.

Thought this might be interesting to see 'OMG PC' vs modern academia in the making.

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Posts
They prefer to refer to it as a "landing" I believe. Which presumably means the D-Day landings weren't an invasion.
Momentum

Yay! Top Trumps!

The Mail's Front Page Headline

Ah, I dunno that it's even that limited. I've neve[…]

Would appreciate any Twitterers getting this out, […]

Nigel Farage

It's a hard time of year for anyone to find a spar[…]