•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By KevS
Membership Days Posts
I would have thought that the way all the major economies are interconnected these days and all dependent on each other, a global war just wouldn't happen now as it doesn't make financial sense.

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
spoonman wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:17 pm
Timbo wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:14 pm
In some of the more rural areas, they teach the kids about this stuff in school - not sure how formally this is structured, but the basic premise is 'if we're invaded, we all go into the woods, then once they've settled in the towns we come back at night and kill them all'.

They may be cuddly and metrosexual, but I wouldn't fuck with a hillbilly Swede in his regular hunting ground.
Sounds a lot like the Swiss Redoubt plan during World War II, which was basically that if foreigners (likely the Nazis or its allies) invade the country, then allow the towns and lowlands to be taken while the Swiss militia regroup at higher elevations to fight back. It was a message to potential occupiers that trying to take over Switzerland would at the very least come at a high price.

And yes, the Swedes very much like the Swiss take their perceived neutrality quite seriously. The Finns don't muck about much either.
Simo Hayha springs to mind, a Finn so hard the Russians would call in airstrikes on suspicion he might have been close by.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Arrowhead wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:25 pm
Both of the two big exit polls this evening show the nationalist Sweden Democrats performing below initial expectations - encouraging early signs.
Don't worry Matthew Goodwin is already wanking himself into a fervour at the news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45466174

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
Really?

fervour
ˈfəːvə/Submit
noun
intense and passionate feeling.
"he talked with all the fervour of a new convert"
synonyms: passion, ardour, intensity, zeal, vehemence, vehemency, emotion, warmth, sincerity, earnestness, avidness, avidity, eagerness, keenness, enthusiasm, excitement, animation, vigour, energy, fire, fieriness, heat, spirit, zest, appetite, hunger, urgency; More
archaic
intense heat.

By cycloon
I know little about Swedish politics, but a 5% increase for the far right, and a total of 80% for those tired, failing, evil centre parties... Doesn't really seem like a great success, except in terms of Prop Rep negotiations. So why did that newsreader I just heard talk of 'major gains'?

By cycloon
+ I've been doing some BTL reading around the interwebz, and my goodness is there a mantra: 'What else do you expect when liberal elites continue to ignore their own [even 'indigenous'] people and force uncontrolled mass immigration and the evils of Islam down their throats'.

Mates, 82% didn't vote for that party, please explain how your world-encompassing and morally/historically absolute narrative chimes with the people decisively choosing not to vote for that party? Are they all stupid/misguided sheep until they vote for them, wherein their votes become fierce torches of liberty?

By Daley Mayle
The news narrative on the BBC all last week was about support for the far-right party growing and much speculation about the party getting 20-25% share of the vote. On Friday (I think) there was a kick back from Swedish journalists saying the situation in their country is being misrepresented. A Swedish hack was interviewed on Today on Friday and said there is some support but said the actual result will be less than being touted in the UK. He was right and the BBC political reporters were wrong but it's still being reported as 'significant gains'.

You can't shift an agenda it seems.

By cycloon
It strikes me that it's simply playing the game people like Bannon and co want: the supporters (and bots) continue a 'we're denied our voice, we're denied our voice!' chant, and institutions like the BBC panic and say 'maybe we should talk about immigration! maybe we should take these parties extra seriously!', playing the logic of the chant, not, y'know, reality: that immigration is a dominant talking point for most right of centre parties (and some left), that populism as a whole is endlessly reported on/because it's new it's exciting/'centre politics' still dominates Europe/countries are different, with their own nuances, and that no fan of UKIP or whoever is going to love the BBC for it. Ever.

It's playing the victim card on the back of justifiable angst and unjustifiable distortion, and the more attention, somehow the bigger the victim, the louder the cries of mistreatment, etc - all helping to propel these people to greater positions of power. They'll forever be hard done by, that's the bloody point.

Short delay only being requested, apparently. So,[…]

The Independent Group

I hope these goons have not done too much dama[…]

The Sun

They want No Deal but wouldn't want the backlash f[…]

Paul Thomas Redux

PAUL THOMAS on... Speaker Bercow, the spanner in […]