•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
One would hope that if any photos of tortured suspects came out, it might get people to think twice about the ECHR and that it's not at all like the media present it. Then I remembered that for a good chunk of people in this country, they'd either think "fuck 'em, they're foreign"* or get off on the idea of brown people suffering.

*An Express editorial in the wake of the coup attempt basically said that Erdogan was entitled to crack down and good luck to him. That's the Express backing an Islamist hardliner. Strange days indeed.

By cycloon
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It is in the sense of making hay out of a political moment - Reichstag fire, etc.

Kirov, as people like Lenoe have argued, wasn't murdered by conspiracy. But his death was exploited as if it had been, and the soil the seed fell into had been well prepared.

See also Stalin's reaction to the famine in Ukraine.

/tangent

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
The Red Arrow wrote:
The Int'l Spectator
‏@intlspectator

BREAKING: Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister says country will temporarily suspend European Convention on Human Rights

Quelle fuckin' surprise...

As I said recently, see DORA.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
Istanbul Besiktas Turkey: Stadium blasts kill 38 people

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38276794" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now you know how to say "Terror get fucked" in Turkish.

As you're probably aware, my dearest Turkish friends are hardcore Besiktas fans (I met them when they came to take the piss out of my Fenerbahce shirt).

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
I had thought that this was just same-old same-old BBC reporting in that they were making Beşiktaş central to the story whereas, from the earliest reports, it was obvious that the attack was on the security forces.

The PKK, if that is who is responsible, will quite logically have planned the attack where the greatest concentration of cops would be and that is at the debrief/wind-down after a high profile game.

It seems to me that "civilian" casualties (including fans) were be managed out of this attack which is why they struck after the game and once the crowds has dispersed. Indeed, had they not factored that in, they could have just as easily hit Taxim, only 400m away, and always bristling with cops and paramilitaries as well as residents and tourists.

I appreciate that this is a simplistic overview. Perhaps others ('arrer?) could comment as to whether I am barking up the wrong tree.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
Pretty fair assessment, in my opinion. You know how partzan Turks are when it comes to footie, though. My lot are taking it personally. Imagine (chosen dieity forbid) similar outside Anfield, Old Trafford or wherever. Collateral damage perhaps, but at least one stadium employee amongst the fatalaties.

Trying to look at it from a detatched point of view, I'd have thought the PKK would have got more mileage out of drawing attention to Kurds fightilng Isis. You can bet your arse Erdoğan will attempt to grant himself more power soon, this will only serve to give him an excuse.

Well, call me Nostadamus - this came in as I was typing, just in case anybody's unaware of who and what we're dealing with...

Erdogan's AK Party submits bill to empower presidency
Proposed changes seek to give president extended powers as head of executive while abolishing the prime ministry.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/12/e ... 14359.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
Couple of videos my friend pointed me to - Besiktas fans take to the Streets to stand against terrorism.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fenerbahce and Galatasaray fans involved and raising funds for families of victims - or 'martyrs' as Turks insist on calling them.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
This really is playing into Erdogan's hands...

Turkish blast: Several dead as Kayseri bus hit

17 December 2016
The government has imposed a temporary black-out on coverage of the explosion.

The instruction from the prime minister's office urged the media to refrain from publishing anything that may cause "fear in the public, panic and disorder and which may serve the aims of terrorist organizations", the Associated Press reported.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38350662" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climate change and "politics"

BR, you may want it to be treated as a purely scie[…]

Indeed. I've recently had someone on Quora tell m[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

And of course, the BBC carried all of it live, wit[…]

Nigel Farage

He seemed to appear every TV news studio on Tuesda[…]