•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
Russian ambassador to Turkey Andrei Karlov shot dead in Ankara

10 minutes ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38369962" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Live reporting
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-38370362" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
All a wee bit melodramatic. It's not as if Turkey has itself ordered the execution of a diplomat, and relations between Ankara and Moscow are nothing like as thorny and frosty as they were 18 months or so ago. It could mean a hardening of the line in Syria, but it seems the USA and her allies are taking a more "hands off" approach, thus meaning Russia can do what it wants.

Probably not great news for those in eastern Aleppo. Not really much to worry the citizens of East Putney.

By bluebellnutter
Jesus, now "Archduke Franz Ferdinand" is trending on Twitter. Apart from the fact both got shot somewhere in the eastern end of Europe, the two situations both internally and geo-politically really aren't even slightly similar.

People need to calm the fuck down already. 2016 has been shit but fucking hell.

By cycloon
bluebellnutter wrote:Jesus, now "Archduke Franz Ferdinand" is trending on Twitter. Apart from the fact both got shot somewhere in the eastern end of Europe, the two situations both internally and geo-politically really aren't even slightly similar.

2016 is the year for it. Brexit is Trump is Brexit is Fascism is WW2 is Weimar is Franz Ferdinand is god knows.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
bluebellnutter wrote:Jesus, now "Archduke Franz Ferdinand" is trending on Twitter. Apart from the fact both got shot somewhere in the eastern end of Europe, the two situations both internally and geo-politically really aren't even slightly similar.

This ironic we're all doomed act I'm seeing from some lefties on twitter is really starting to get on my nerves.

By bluebellnutter
youngian wrote:I don't see how this murder will be a flashpoint between Russia and Turkey.
Exactly. Russia will not start a war over this. The end.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Littlejohn's brain wrote:

This ironic we're all doomed act I'm seeing from some lefties on twitter is really starting to get on my nerves.
Not just Lefties.
As a tech person, I cringed when twitter was launched.
There are plenty of places where people can discuss stuff or "do social".
The character limit was (a few clever posts excepted) a guarantee of dumbing down.

I double-cringed when BBC radio started using twitter to script its evening news programming.

Twitter, for politics, has always been, and always will be a magnet for twits, shills and trolls.
See the 2 most prominent Manhattan residents, Mensch and Trump.

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
bluebellnutter wrote:
youngian wrote:I don't see how this murder will be a flashpoint between Russia and Turkey.
Exactly. Russia will not start a war over this. The end.
Agree...I don't like saying this, but Putin understands collateral damage.

In a way, that Fuze tea cover is probably a bit li[…]

Endangering Democracy

No offences took place with three of the five all[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

And some of the unicorns have red rosettes.

Mrs A reckons that Mann is the Labour equivalent[…]