•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Latest big issue the "populists" are going after is the personage of the head of the social security institute, who's had the temerity to say that a coalition policy will cost jobs. It's actually a well-intentioned policy on reducing the abuse of temporary contracts, and the number of job losses he's predicted aren't all that huge. Anybody else would have gently disagreed and pointed up wider social effects.

Unfortunately, he's also implied that immigration isn't necessarily bad for an increasingly geriatric country like Italy. Don't these bean counter types understand, it's about culture? Italy with its conservative Roman Catholic traditions is utterly unique in the world. Imagine if they let a load of Mexicans or Filipinos in, would totally change the culture. Or perhaps the problem is that Mexicans and Filipinos would change the culture by being too conservative. I can never tell with racists.

Maybe they could hold a poll on the internet or something, Do you want to kick out the head of an important institution for disagreeing with some no marks in the government? Can't argue with the voice of the people, can you?

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
We used to have a wee house in Liguria and, ain't no two ways about it, the Autostrada dei Fiori is as scary as they come. I've driven it a thousand times.

There are few flat stretches. It barrels largely either through tunnelling or up on perilous stilts, and that is where the on/off ramps usually are. As you spiral back down, you can see the crumbling concrete and exposed foundations. It really is tanner - half-crown time.

Also, and whilst speculation as to the cause is a fool's errand, these vicious, bitter summer squalls happen all the time along that coast. A benign summer's day can turn in a moment in to Beaufort 9 winds, twisters and it be pissing lumps the size of golf balls. I sincerely doubt that the weather played any part in this.

It is a tragedy, that's for sure. I just thought that Italy had grown out of all these preventable structural failures.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Populism. Cutting taxes for the richest and giving millionaires tax amnesties. This is the voice from the streets.
A flat tax on personal income will be postponed to 2020, Finance Undersecretary Massimo Bitonci was quoted as saying by la Repubblica daily on Sunday.

Only taxpayers who owe up to 1 million euros to Italy’s tax agency will be eligible for a tax amnesty under discussion in Italy, Bitonci told Corriere della Sera on Sunday.
Mr Bitonci is a Venetian nationalist, who got chucked out from being mayor of Padua before he'd served a whole term.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:45 pm
Populism. Cutting taxes for the richest and giving millionaires tax amnesties. This is the voice from the streets.
A flat tax on personal income will be postponed to 2020, Finance Undersecretary Massimo Bitonci was quoted as saying by la Repubblica daily on Sunday.

Only taxpayers who owe up to 1 million euros to Italy’s tax agency will be eligible for a tax amnesty under discussion in Italy, Bitonci told Corriere della Sera on Sunday.
Mr Bitonci is a Venetian nationalist, who got chucked out from being mayor of Padua before he'd served a whole term.
Nice to known they're stupider governments than your own.

Moving those posts was more effort than it was pro[…]

Theresa May

Come and have a chat when you've predicted the nex[…]

A lot going on under the bonnet here. As always, n[…]

Caption Contest

I'll Never Forget What's'ername.