•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I hesitate to correct you without the source to hand, but from what I understand, GWB and Obama both had opportunity to drone the same chap and passed it up because of the shit-show that would most likely ensue.

Meanwhile, we now most assuredly live in a world where some folks have killer robots that can be used with apparent impunity.

By spoonman
Biggus Robbus wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:22 pm
I think everyone needs to calm the fuck down. Obama would have done this, although he would not have got us into this mess, that said this really should be no march to war.
BiB: I'd very seriously doubt it - while not exactly a peacenik and his time had some controversy surrounding unilateral killings without due process or solid confirmation of enemy identity, he had a general respect for international law and diplomacy which included multinational talks to get Iran to limit their nuclear arms development. I don't think even Dubya would have authorised it, at least the way Trump had done so anyway.

In most situations, a head of state or someone in the highest elected position of a country authorising a plan to deliberately kill a high-ranking military officer or government minister in a third country, whilst there is no declaration of war, at least without some sort of attempt at making it come of with some plausible deniability, would be taken as a declaration of war. By their actions, if Iran carried out an action that saw them kill a high level member of the Trump administration, they could claim it was done in measured retaliation - and it would be hard to say that they're wrong.

And no, the killing of Osama Bin Laden isn't directly comparable as he was not a government official of an internationally recognised state/country. The same goes for when Baghdadi when he was killed a few months back.

I was hoping that the 2020's would at least give an opportunity to have some sort of optomistic outlook at home and abroad after a shithole of the second half of the 2010's. Ah well...
Last edited by spoonman on Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

By MisterMuncher
Meanwhile, Trump is threatening 52 strikes against political, cultural and other significant targets if any retaliation takes place. The numerology is to do with the hostages taken by Iran in years hence.

The italics on cultural there? That would be because it is, as per the Geneva Conventions, yer actual, bona fide, no fooling war crime.

By spoonman
It wouldn't be the first time Trump would be advocating committing a war crime - remember that on the campaign trail four years ago he suggested that the US military should kill the families of Daesh fighters.

By cycloon
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:54 pm
Jesus Christ. Gratuitous attacks on holy sites would be an absolute gift to Iran, ISIL, Continuity Al Qaeda, Black September and God knows who else.
Pitch-perfect demonstration of contempt and inability for the US to do nuance.

So, perfect for Trump, hey. No doubt his Christian fans will love this further step down the road to hell.

By spoonman
I see a speaker at Soleimani's funeral has suggested that a US$80 million bounty should be placed on the head of Donald Trump.

No sign of a GoFundMe page that I can find yet.

By MisterMuncher
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:54 pm
Jesus Christ. Gratuitous attacks on holy sites would be an absolute gift to Iran, ISIL, Continuity Al Qaeda, Black September and God knows who else.
It's actually a little terrifying to see how poorly such simple concepts are understood in the world. All the intelligence of trying to put out a chip pan fire by pissing on it.
oboogie liked this

By Andy McDandy
As the guy said in Starship Troopers:
We'll be going in in the first wave. Means more bugs for us to kill.
That's the mentality.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
From what I gather this is actually a deescalation, as weird as that sounds. They've retaliated in a relatively mild way (absolutely no disrespect meant to the Iraqi personnel allegedly injured) and that, I think, will be that. The US will probably breathe a sigh of relief that they 'got away' with a fairly tokenistic retaliatory attack.

This is why these empty threats from a few days are so so unhelpful and make Trump look even worse:

So Iran has done exactly that, attacked US bases, which Trump claims will result in the US hitting them back even harder. I strongly suspect the US won't respond to this militarily and once again Trump just looks like a coward issuing empty threats on the internet which he won't go through with.
Boris Johnson

What a surprise. https://goodlawproject.org/news/[…]

The Tories, Generally

They do in England and the Tories will probably pu[…]

Poppy Day bingo

Taking an early lead... https://twitter.com/Rob[…]

Labour, Generally.

This poll has Tories losing ground to a party no o[…]