•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
Looks like their Tories have been taking lessons from ours. Or is it the other way round?

The Canada Revenue Agency has told a well-known charity that it can no longer try to prevent poverty around the world if it wants to keep its charitable status for tax purposes. It can only alleviate poverty — because preventing poverty might benefit people who are not already poor.

Agency officials informed Oxfam that "preventing poverty" was not an acceptable goal.

"Relieving poverty is charitable, but preventing it is not," the group was warned.

"Preventing poverty could mean providing for a class of beneficiaries that are not poor."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/prevent ... -1.2717774

I was under the impression that trying to preventing poverty was, er, about stopping people from becoming poor in the first place. Love that mindset though, so typical of Tories the world over these days. "Don't tackle poverty, it might benefit a few people who aren't totally destitute". So fucking what? Modern conservatism is the strangest kind of derangement.
By Big Rob
The reason this is not banging around the internet is that the Canadian media are behaving responsibly.

No matter hard some shitty media outlets try.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
An outcome Labour would be wise to look on and find what they can learn from the Canadian Liberals - 4 years ago they looked dead and buried having been relegated to third-party status in Ottowa, now they're back with a thumping majority under a progressive platform.

By lord_kobel
Membership Days Posts
I've seen a fair few people say the equivalent over here would be the lib dems winning and labour wiped out. Not really what we want to go for over here...

By mikey mikey
lord_kobel wrote:I've seen a fair few people say the equivalent over here would be the lib dems winning and labour wiped out. Not really what we want to go for over here...

http://www.politicalcompass.org/uk2015

By Littlejohn's brain
Membership Days Posts
Oh god no, if that was repeated here Tim Farron would be Prime Minister. God help us if that were to happen.

By mikey mikey
Except according to that graph above, the Canadian Liberals are slightly left of where Milliband's Labour stood,
The Mail's Front Page Headline

Ah, I dunno that it's even that limited. I've neve[…]

Momentum

I will now lay my cards on the table and tell you […]

Would appreciate any Twitterers getting this out, […]

Nigel Farage

It's a hard time of year for anyone to find a spar[…]