•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By lord_kobel
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Biggus Robbus wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:36 am
To be fair that were legitimate concerns around gamergate.
Yeah, no. It was a wanker pissed off he got dumped and then bitching about his ex sleeping with someone to get a good review, even though the review was years before they started sleeping together.
Oblomov liked this

By MisterMuncher
In interests of accuracy, Zoe Quinn's games were never reviewed by the fella in question. She was part of a panel interviewed for an article.

As to legitimacy. Nah. Were the fuck were they for, say, GameSpot and Kane And Lynch, to give one example? It wasn't until the lines of Quinn or Anita Sarkeesian crossed their radar that these fucking eejits got exercised.

By Biggus Robbus
Well looking at the bigger picture with Gamergate.

There are some legitimate feminist concerns around the lack, albeit not a complete lack, of female role models in video games.

Then some very poor social justice warrior feminists appeared and basically took the approach that they did not want equality; instead they wanted to invert a double standard.

As a result a lot of young white males were radicalised by angry older white 'cis' males at /pol in 4chan nad other shitholes in social media.

As the shooter involved apparently liked violent video games as a kid I would not be surprised if this did not have an effect on him.

By Oblomov
MisterMuncher wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:13 pm
In interests of accuracy, Zoe Quinn's games were never reviewed by the fella in question. She was part of a panel interviewed for an article.

As to legitimacy. Nah. Were the fuck were they for, say, GameSpot and Kane And Lynch, to give one example? It wasn't until the lines of Quinn or Anita Sarkeesian crossed their radar that these fucking eejits got exercised.
I may have been too charitable to them before, reading back on it the whole video games angle is just so tangential. A jilted ex-boyfriend revenge posting about his girlfriend who coincidentally was a games developer and one of her alleged paramours was coincidentally a games journalist which apparently is enough weight for conspiracy theories about how arty indie games are darlings of critics even though they've been rejected en masse "real gamers" that favour titles with skill challenges (usually measured by enacting some form of violence), so obviously there must be some corruption afoot :roll:

That's a shallow and insipid point to launch from and it becomes even more absurd when you consider the scale of harassment towards Zoe Quinn and eventually other targets. All because they imagined their safe male space was going to be disrupted by feminists. The irony is, most of these fuckwits are as radicalized as the ISIS muslims they take exception to.
lord_kobel liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
If I was Rod Liddle's girlfriend that would be the cop I'd lodge a complaint with.

Ardern is propped up in power by a mouthy populist Winston Peters. He appears to be a bit old Labour in economics rather than Farage's turbocharged Thatcherism. MPs in her own party have been accused of indulging in anti-immigrant rhetoric as well. I assume they're keeping their traps shut at the moment.

By Oblomov
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:37 am

I keep getting sand in my eye...
Many thanks for this. L'Oblomova's father is currently at mecca praying for many things but I'm certain peace for everybody is one of them. I'm sure he will also discover sand in his eye upon seeing this.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Anyway.

Are we seeing real traction now in a new era of quiet, defiant protest which is being lead by anyone other that white, middle-aged, angry men?

In no particular order; Women against Trump, #metoo, climate change kids, the whole momentum behind Jacinda Ardern - they are getting results, and their social media usage is outwitting anything that the traditional networks or publishers can hope to control.

"Getting results", we (I) need to a little cautious with that bold claim. But, I think that I know what I mean. Without unnecessary discussion or stalling debate, these wake-up calls are reverberating around the planet within moments and are shifting the tectonic plates.

Culturally, we have seen it before with punk and hip-hop. Politically, this is something else.

By davidjay
spoonman wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:01 pm
Congratulations are surely in order to New Zealand's Prime Minister, who got engaged a couple of weeks back and the news has now leaked out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48143395
If ever someone deserved a long and happy domestic life.
2019 General Election

North Devon just on the news. A farmer who'd voted[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

Interesting to see Harry Cohen went with Blair. […]

Jan Moir

They'll make a fillum. "The Good Boomer."[…]

The Sun

You bet can your arse on it! Media currently try[…]