•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
The point being that unless you literally have an officer everywhere, an 'alert level' is so much crap. It's no defence against a surprise attack, because one can hide a gun under a coat and the most damage is done in the first moments of shooting. In the case of a suicide bomber, there is no fucking defence. I press button, I go bang. Waffle on about boots on the ground and response times all you want, the bomb's still gone off.

Talk of alert levels is as much about assuring the public that something is being done (and letting any would be terrorist worry that the spooks might be on to them) as it is about actually gathering information and response times and things.

By bluebellnutter
Andy McDandy wrote:Talk of alert levels is as much about assuring the public that something is being done (and letting any would be terrorist worry that the spooks might be on to them) as it is about actually gathering information and response times and things.
Exactly. Nobody who works for MI5 or Special Branch or whatever is going to go "hey, they've bumped us down from "Critical" to "Severe", I'm off to the pub", that's just not how it works.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
#stopislam is trending. Which was a bit of a surprise because for all its faults Twitter does tend to have a relatively sane collective voice on such issues. Thankfully it does appear that many of the tweets using that hashtag are actually criticising it, from what I've seen.

By bluebellnutter
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Even by the standards of post terrorism twitter today has been appalling.
All the Brexit rabble have found their voice and are quite prepared to "Speek There Branes". Hopefully it will have put some "normal" people off them.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
If Farage is gaining traction from this bombing then the remain camp have only themselves to blame for not calling out his bullshit. Anyone who wants to turn their backs and shut the doors on our EU neighbours at this time should be given the full tabloid treatment; gutless appeasers who want to bury their heads. Even Corbyn is standing firm without caveats. And I see the Sun has found Farage's posturing tiresome.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
I give it another few hours before:

"Why DID the authorities let this happen?"

and other attempts to immediately start trying to find someone to attack over it (other than Muslims). Usually the police.
youngian wrote: It's manifested itself as to why British security services are brilliant and the Belgians are crap. James Bond Vs Tintin if you like.
Took longer than I expected:

Lethal failures of the bungling Belgians: Authorities failed to prevent atrocities even though Brussels is a hotbed of radical Islamists, writes MICHAEL BURLEIGH
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... LEIGH.html

We haven't had the usual "Muslims must come out and condemn these attacks" bollocks from The Sun or Mail just yet.

Although, Trump has made a start:
I don't know what it is. It's like they're (Muslim communities) protecting each other but they're really doing very bad damage. They have to open up to society, they have to report the bad ones

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Took longer than I expected:

Lethal failures of the bungling Belgians: Authorities failed to prevent atrocities even though Brussels is a hotbed of radical Islamists, writes MICHAEL BURLEIGH
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... LEIGH.html
British journalist exposes the lazy Flemish for not learning other languages
This was compounded by officers’ failure to learn languages spoken by suspected terrorists. For example, of the 2,600 policemen in Antwerp, only 22 are non-white, and the vast majority have little understanding of either Arabic or Turkish.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
The-Commentator, Minister for Common Sense, United Kingdom, 1 hour ago
9 years ago I had a long weekend in Brussels. My lasting memory is of the very scary groups of ethnic teenagers running around even in the city centre. They are adults now.
+1706 -66
It's tragic that these sort of comments are so highly rated.
2019 General Election

Johnson could still form a minority administrati[…]

That's extremely encouraging. Don't know if you're[…]

The Biased BBC

She's talking about what the Tories are sayin[…]

Boris Johnson

For a fair chunk of the electorate the Prime Min[…]