Political talk from outside of the UK
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
Murderous wankers trying to destroy evil western traditions like free speech and political expression.

This will lead to a backlash.

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:Murderous wankers trying to destroy evil western traditions like free speech and political expression.

This will lead to a backlash.

Not amongst our once fearless media, over the last few years they have all been cowed by the threat of attack.
By GKC
Membership Days
No doubt all major newspapers will be reprinting one of the cartoons on their front pages tomorrow in solidarity.

No? Perhaps we should just continue to build a total surveillance state instead?

Anything but encourage an Islamic Enlightenment.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
From Libération:

L’imam de Drancy Hassen Chalghoumi est aussi sur place. «Il faut que la République se montre ferme face aux personnes qui veulent la terreur. Les tireurs ont touché notre liberté et nos valeurs. On peut être en désaccord avec un dessin mais on répond par un dessin, pas par la violence.»

The Imam de Drancy, Hassan Chakghoumi is at the scene. "The Republic must stay firm in the face of people who want to use terror. The gunmen hit our freedom and our values. One may diasgree with a drawing but one must respond with a drawing, not violence"

I wonder if Le Pen will take notice of that?

By Littlejohn's brain
Membership Days Posts
Of course we're also going to have to put up with the 'they bought on themselves' crap that is often used to covertly justify these sort of attacks.

By D.C. Harrison
Membership Days Posts
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Of course we're also going to have to put up with the 'they bought on themselves' crap that is often used to covertly justify these sort of attacks.

From who? And when?

By Littlejohn's brain
Membership Days Posts
D.C. Harrison wrote:
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Of course we're also going to have to put up with the 'they bought on themselves' crap that is often used to covertly justify these sort of attacks.

From who? And when?

Elements of the left and we'll start seeing them in a few days time.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
Strange time to be attacking political straw men, to be honest.

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Posts
When there was the hostage taking in Australia there was the 'I'll ride with you' hashtag where non-Muslims pledged support for Muslims who felt threatened by a back lash. How about Muslims pledging support for freedom of speech with a similarly trite message? Making a cartoon of Mohammed and holding it up for a selfie would be a great start.
By Big Rob
I support the right to mock, particularly those who mock equally like Charlie Hebdo (who also mocked the far right).

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
No, Daley, because you're working on two levels here.

Many moderate Muslims would baulk at that because they object to 'graven images'. Even more so of religious figures such as Mohammed So you wouldn't be asking them to make a simple statement of support, they would be making a rather deep demonstration that would go against their core beliefs.

Refusing to make an image, however, is not the same as meeting the creation of images or satire in general with lethal violence.
But you are conflating them.

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Posts
What I was trying to say in my usual clumsy manner is that although there will be protestations from the moderate Muslim community about the murderous attack they will still want limitations on free speech.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

The modern problem with arguing with idiots is tha[…]

Nigel Farage

A lavish, fawning, sympathy-inducing spread on the[…]

More "middle-class" bollocks

Umm... So what else do you drink out of? Your sh[…]

Shona Sibary

Blimey, it's been a while! Admittedly I don't […]