•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
I know I should just look this up but I'm getting conflicting answers on Google.

What's the difference between them and RAID. I remember RAID from back in 2012 Toulouse and Montauban shootings. At the time I thought they looked like a fucking formidable unit.

Are RAID 'higher up' so to speak and more of a specifically tactical counter-terrorism unit compared to CRS?

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
Dunno.
I just know that when I see the CRS I walk on the other side of the road...

A bit like SWAT, crossed with Special Branch. Police organisations in France are arcane, organised at national and local levels, with odd sub-organisations which seem to have been formed ad hoc.

National police (the Gendarmerie) are military style, the local police are less so, and less 'disciplined'. It's a bit of a shock when you get pulled over for speeding and monsieur l'agent has a sub-machine gun held casually across his chest...
Safe_Timber_Man liked this

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
It seems that the Colonel of the local Gendarmerie (possibly the CRS) volunteered himself for a hostage-swap, which the taker accepted. He then waited, his phone on, as the police rushed in and shot the terrorist very dead. The colonel was seriously injured and has been commended for his bravery.

The terrorist was apparently a local low-life, radicalised in prison. Known to the police but as a petty thief and drug dealer.
spoonman liked this

By Boiler
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:23 pm
Dunno.
Not for nothing do they have the nickname of Car Rempli de Singes.... trust me though, you want scary, look at Brazilian coppers. Even the lowest level - the Policia Militar - are bloody scary.
Malcolm Armsteen liked this

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Even just standard Spanish police aren't to be messed with. More than once I've watched with amusement as a drunken Brit starts mouthing off at them only to be met with a very significant smack round the head. The look of utter shock on their face is hilarious..."you can't do that!!"...oh, they can!
Malcolm Armsteen liked this

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:23 pm
Dunno.

A bit like SWAT, crossed with Special Branch. Police organisations in France are arcane, organised at national and local levels, with odd sub-organisations which seem to have been formed ad hoc.

National police (the Gendarmerie) are military style, the local police are less so, and less 'disciplined'. It's a bit of a shock when you get pulled over for speeding and monsieur l'agent has a sub-machine gun held casually across his chest...
Yep. That's true. Conversely, I find the unarmed cops in GB, or the Gardaí a bit fluffy compared to the Glock 'n' MP5 toting RUC of old.

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Coming from NI in the 80's/90's it was always a bit weird dealing with Na Gardaí. Cops who didn't seem ready to kill ye was a novelty.

When I was a slip of a cub of 17, I went with the boys to a festival in Tipperary. Having driven the 8-hour drive with five pissed/pissing up people in the back of a Renault 21 Savannah had rather tried my patience, so I parked up on Thurles main street, let them out for a piss in a pub, sat myself in the back seat and cracked open a tin. I may also around this time have commenced construction of a jazz cigarette.

There's a tap at the window. I almost shit myself when I see the uniform outside. It's an immense culchie Gard, the sort of lad could knock seven bells out of eight men.

"Sorry there, young fella, you'll need to shift your yoke a up the road a yard or two, you're blocking an entry"
"Sorry, Sorry, Officer, it's just that I've had a beer, and I wouldn't dream of..."
"Ach, no bother, sure throw me the keys, I'll move it for ye"

"And for fuck sake, don't be smoking that on the street. Go into the park there, I definitely won't run after ye"
Malcolm Armsteen, spoonman, oboogie and 3 others liked this

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
MisterMuncher wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:57 am
Coming from NI in the 80's/90's it was always a bit weird dealing with Na Gardaí. Cops who didn't seem ready to kill ye was a novelty.

When I was a slip of a cub of 17, I went with the boys to a festival in Tipperary. Having driven the 8-hour drive with five pissed/pissing up people in the back of a Renault 21 Savannah had rather tried my patience, so I parked up on Thurles main street, let them out for a piss in a pub, sat myself in the back seat and cracked open a tin. I may also around this time have commenced construction of a jazz cigarette.

There's a tap at the window. I almost shit myself when I see the uniform outside. It's an immense culchie Gard, the sort of lad could knock seven bells out of eight men.

"Sorry there, young fella, you'll need to shift your yoke a up the road a yard or two, you're blocking an entry"
"Sorry, Sorry, Officer, it's just that I've had a beer, and I wouldn't dream of..."
"Ach, no bother, sure throw me the keys, I'll move it for ye"

"And for fuck sake, don't be smoking that on the street. Go into the park there, I definitely won't run after ye"

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
A French police officer who swapped himself for a hostage in a supermarket siege on Friday has died, officials say.
Lt-Col Arnaud Beltrame, 45, "fell as a hero" and showed "exceptional courage", French President Emmanuel Macron said.
A sad outcome, but many lives saved, it seems.
spoonman liked this

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
Damn! I missed this!

Sunday was the day of the annual Pig Race in our commune. The pigs (all young porkers) raced 2 laps round the town centre, watched by 300 aficianados. In third place - "Marine"; in 2nd place "Sarkho". Excellent.

The winner was 'Columb' - the TV series Columbo is unaccountably popular here.

https://actu.fr/normandie/teilleul_5059 ... 08937.html
Timbo, Boiler liked this
Climate change and "politics"

BR, you may want it to be treated as a purely scie[…]

Indeed. I've recently had someone on Quora tell m[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

And of course, the BBC carried all of it live, wit[…]

Nigel Farage

He seemed to appear every TV news studio on Tuesda[…]