Political talk from outside of the UK
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
This is good read it focuses on George Wallace branching out to Democrat blue collar states. And every bit as crude as Trump
When George Wallace Came to Town
Donald Trump’s appeal to some suffering white workers shouldn’t surprise us. George Wallace did the same thing four decades ago.

Governor George C. Wallace of Alabama became famous in 1963 when he declared that he stood for “segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever.” He demonstrated this resolve by blocking the University of Alabama’s doorway to stop the first black students from enrolling. In 1964, he decided to take his show on the road.

That year, Wallace tested the waters at three carefully selected primaries — Wisconsin, Indiana, and Maryland — where he thought he could find a sympathetic audience. He attacked integration and praised the police, clearly appealing to traditionally Democratic voters who opposed their party’s civil rights measures.

He fine-tuned his speeches to appeal to Northern audiences, attacking “pointy-headed bureaucrats,” “liberals,” and “pinkos” who placed the burdens of civil rights and welfare programs on the working class’s shoulders. The audience especially loved “Our lives are being taken over by bureaucrats, and most of them have beards!”

Wallace didn’t have to dig too deep to find Northern soil rich in racism, xenophobia, antisemitism, and plain old parochialism. These lower-middle-class and working-class voters yearned for someone like Wallace to express their anger at a party that they felt had abandoned them. https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/01/geor ... ialnetwork" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Littlejohn's brain
Membership Days Posts
Does anyone what which historical figure Trump reminds me of? (Clue not Hitler)

Lived off his parents wealth
Convinced proletariat he represents them
Hijacked Party
Eliminated dissent
Promised to drain swamp

I'll tell you Vladimir Lenin.
By Coupled Moment
Membership Days
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Does anyone what which historical figure Trump reminds me of? (Clue not Hitler)

Lived off his parents wealth
Convinced proletariat he represents them
Hijacked Party
Eliminated dissent
Promised to drain swamp

I'll tell you Vladimir Lenin.
Jesus, if you keep reaching like that you'll probably pull something...

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Posts
Stupid hair.
Personality cult.
Obsession with bling.
Not safe around women.
TV star with hard-right political views.

He's Jimmy Saville reborn I tell you!!!

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Posts
He's a male human.
He's not dead yet.
He's American.
He has two legs.
Lots of people don't like him.

He's literally Charles Manson.

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Posts
Some things never change. From President Franklin Roosevelt's State of the Union address 09/01/1945...
WW2 Tweets from 1945 ‏@RealTimeWWII 14h14 hours ago
Pres. warns against fake news spread by foes of USA: "Evil & baseless rumours against the Russians…We must resist this divisive propaganda."
WW2 Tweets from 1945 ‏@RealTimeWWII 14h14 hours ago
"We Americans of today, together with our allies, are making history- and I hope it will be better history than ever has been made before."
SPOTY

I'd imagine Froome being caught with his glow on d[…]

It passes the time on the drives to work, although[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

From the Guardian at https://www.theguardian.com/p[…]

Theresa May

Let's not forget that she could have secured her j[…]