Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 36.6 % ❤ 2 % :thumbsup: 10.7 % 😯 9.7 % :grinning: 32.2 % 🧥 1.7 % 🙏 1.7 % 😟 1.7 % :cry: 3.4 % :shit: 0.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It isn't possible to override the constitution without Congress' approval, and then it has to be ratified, and then there would be appeals to the Supreme Court - checks and balances.

What they don't do is prevent a semi-fascist president claiming that the election was flawed, refusing to hand over power and calling on his 2nd Amendment supporters to go to fight for him. Though it's unlikely many would actually do so, compared to the size of the US armed forces. They seem to have aligned themselves to the Constitution, they take their oath of allegiance to the USA, not the President.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.
The Constitution comes first, and if he orders them to act against the Constitution their duty is clear, they support the Constitution.

But he does have considerable scope to make mischief, and enough politically appointed chiefs of police, sheriffs and ICE thugs to make a real mess.

My son in the States reckons that this has been the reason so many white supremecists, lowlifes, thugs and racists have been recruited over the past four years. It certainly wasn't for their brains or good looks.

By Oblomov
AOB wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:12 pm
I've wondered what he will do in that two month period between Election and officially ceasing to be President, particularly if handing over to a Democrat. He can do a fair bit of damage, maybe not starting a nuclear war due to the chain of command or something that can be undone immediately by the new President, as he did with many of Obama measures, so I'll plump for him pardoning most of the violent contingent of the prison population.
"Great guys, really great guys. Good genes, they can almost keep up with me in the gym. Honest, hard-working people, a real credit to the American dream and it's about time they were freed from persecution from the Democrats. These heroes have a real contribution to make to our great society and let me tell you folks, it's gonna be tremendous!"
AOB liked this

By spoonman
Herman Cain, Republican ex-presidential candidate, dies after Covid fight
Herman Cain, the Republican pizza chain CEO who ran for president in 2012, has died after contracting Covid-19.

Mr Cain, 74, was hospitalised after being diagnosed with the disease earlier this month.

"Herman Cain - our boss, our friend, like a father to so many of us - has passed away," a message posted on his official website said.

He was a supporter of President Trump and is one of the most high-profile Americans to die with the virus.
In 2019, Mr Trump sounded him out to sit on the Federal Reserve Board, but he withdrew his nomination after several Republican senators refused to back his appointment.

However, Mr Cain continued to back Mr Trump and appeared at a rally held by the president in Tulsa, Oklahoma, before his diagnosis.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53600376

Tr*mp I'm sure is devastated at hear this news, as he'll think that it'll make him look bad.

By crabcakes_windermere
Suggestions are that this may be a two-pronged approach - on the one hand, he's laying the groundwork to protest against a close result. On the other, he may be making a point that he will cause a fuss unless he is offered certain guarantees that, should he lose, he will continue to enjoy immunity from prosecution.

Hopefully what will happen is that Biden will win by such a margin that fraud isn't a realistic factor, he'll be told that he has a deal for an orderly departure, and then on day 1 in office Biden tells him to go fuck himself and clears the way for arrest warrants for his whole despicable family.

And this is where I think Uncle Vlad shows how short-term his plotting is. I be he's been delighted at Trump and the chaos of Brexit, but to get these schemes through it has required the most repugnant of people and the most stupid of lackeys, and they've messed up so badly and so quickly that they haven't had time to cement power like e.g. Orban. Instead, they've galvanised opposition while shedding support of their own through their callousness and ineptitude and all but guaranteed once out of power everything they've done will be reversed and then some.

In the next 5 years or so Putin is going to start to run very short of distractions and friends.
Timbo liked this

By The Red Arrow
Nothing anybody awake wouldn't realise, but here's a clear explanation of how it works if you know anybody who still thinks Wotsit Hitler isn't making money out of the presidency.

Tangent-wise, I'm tempted to go off on one about criminality being embedded and admired in American culture via cinema, maybe it's one for a fresh thread.

By Bones McCoy
The Red Arrow wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:31 pm
Nothing anybody awake wouldn't realise, but here's a clear explanation of how it works if you know anybody who still thinks Wotsit Hitler isn't making money out of the presidency.

Tangent-wise, I'm tempted to go off on one about criminality being embedded and admired in American culture via cinema, maybe it's one for a fresh thread.

The robber barons were part of the economy long before the first moving picture was screened.
They never really went away.

By Catkins
While I think (hope!) Malc is right, this is what I worry about. How do traditional democratic mechanisms stop someone who is so erratic and who operates outside norms? Yes, he doesn't have the legal authority to delay the election, but if he decides to do so, are people able - and willing - to stop him?

Boiler liked this

By davidjay
Catkins wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:20 pm
While I think (hope!) Malc is right, this is what I worry about. How do traditional democratic mechanisms stop someone who is so erratic and who operates outside norms? Yes, he doesn't have the legal authority to delay the election, but if he decides to do so, are people able - and willing - to stop him?

Nobody knows, because there has never been a president like him. There's never been anyone who has so clearly floured conventions, been so openly corrupt and so unashamedly behaved like a petulant child than the leader of the free world. We don't know how far he will go.

By AOB
To the outside onlooker like myself, Joe Biden inspires zero confidence.
Granted, we haven't had the razzmatazz of a normal build-up this time and maybe if I lived in the States I'd be more in tune with what he's about but nevertheless. Young American voters have to choose which out of two old white blokes would best represent their views and needs. Hardly an enviable task. They may as well just ask on the ballot paper "Do you want Trump as your President for the next 4 years- Yes or No?"

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
AOB wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:48 am
To the outside onlooker like myself, Joe Biden inspires zero confidence.
Granted, we haven't had the razzmatazz of a normal build-up this time and maybe if I lived in the States I'd be more in tune with what he's about but nevertheless. Young American voters have to choose which out of two old white blokes would best represent their views and needs. Hardly an enviable task. They may as well just ask on the ballot paper "Do you want Trump as your President for the next 4 years- Yes or No?"
That's unfair you don't win the pirmary to become your party's nominee by inspiring zero confidence.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
One thing is that the American press, with the exception of Fox, which is utter shite, aren't like ours. They don't like Trump as he's been calling them cunts for reporting facts,instead of the fake bollocks he wants them to put out.

Also, what effect is the Lincoln project going to have? They are Republicans pissed off with Trump. Not sure if they've got moral objections to him, or if they are just worried about the republicans getting wiped out. I suppose they are a kind of equivalent of the moderate Tories who got kicked out over Brexit. Over here they would be regarded as Remoners and get nowhere.

I think this shit about delaying the election is Trump changing the subject because the economy is tanking. I mean it's the first step in the President for life road, a bit like someone like Hastings Banda in Malawi

By MisterMuncher
The Lincoln Project will matter, ultimately.

Amongst all the many thought pieces dedicated to the poor white "economically anxious" Trump voters, a very, very important point is missed. Electorally speaking, they didn't. Fucking. Matter. Not in the big picture sense of the election. Ultimately, the engine of Trump's success was nicely off suburban whites who could contend with his larks as long as it didn't reflect too badly on them, the taxes stayed low and none of those horrid poor folk got anything for nothing. The Lincoln Project and others of their ilk are quite keen on pointing out that Trump is rogue GOP, it gives those people a moral* escape hatch to sit this one out or even vote for the other guys.

*I'm using the word very, very subjectively here. Obviously, even voting for him once reflects moral and intellectual failings of considerable breadth and depth.

By MisterMuncher
visage wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:03 pm
I think the GOP are resigned to losing the presidency. But they want to make sure that its the only thing they lose.
Mitt Romney got in there early. It'll be interesting to see how crowded that limb he's out on gets before November.
The Biased BBC

If any of the staff they're blocking from going […]

Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

So, some predictions: 1. Corbyn’s “war[…]

The Tories, Generally

http://smileys.smilchat.net/smiley/grumpy/malade/[…]

Shaun Bailey

I noticed the Watford MP who Bailey tags hadn't re[…]