Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 36.7 % ❤ 2 % :thumbsup: 10.4 % 😯 9.8 % :grinning: 32.3 % 🧥 1.7 % 🙏 1.7 % 😟 1.7 % :cry: 3.4 % :shit: 0.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Timbo
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Imagine reading this headline about your school district:

L.A. schools police will return grenade launchers but keep rifles, armored vehicle
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la- ... story.html

For those wondering about the relevance to Trump specifically, Obama halted the civilian use of military surplus gear, Trump bought it back on steroids. With the result that someone in a school police district thought it appropriate to order grenade launchers. We are through the looking glass, people.

By Malcolm Armsteen
We spoke elsewhere of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, in my, and other people's opinion the greatest ever US President.

This is an abridged (by me) version of his inaugeral address of 1933. I put it up to compare and contrast with the words of Trump in a crisis.
...Let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself--nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. In every dark hour of our national life a leadership of frankness and vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves which is essential to victory. I am convinced that you will again give that support to leadership in these critical days.

...the rulers of the exchange of mankind's goods have failed, through their own stubbornness and their own incompetence, have admitted their failure, and abdicated. Practices of the unscrupulous money changers stand indicted in the court of public opinion, rejected by the hearts and minds of men.

Faced by failure of credit they have proposed only the lending of more money. Stripped of the lure of profit by which to induce our people to follow their false leadership, they have resorted to exhortations, pleading tearfully for restored confidence. They know only the rules of a generation of self-seekers. They have no vision, and when there is no vision the people perish.

The money changers have fled from their high seats in the temple of our civilization. We may now restore that temple to the ancient truths. The measure of the restoration lies in the extent to which we apply social values more noble than mere monetary profit.

Happiness lies not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort. The joy and moral stimulation of work no longer must be forgotten in the mad chase of evanescent profits. These dark days will be worth all they cost us if they teach us that our true destiny is not to be ministered unto but to minister to ourselves and to our fellow men.

This Nation asks for action, and action now.

In the field of world policy I would dedicate this Nation to the policy of the good neighbor--the neighbor who resolutely respects himself and, because he does so, respects the rights of others-- the neighbor who respects his obligations and respects the sanctity of his agreements in and with a world of neighbors.
I am prepared under my constitutional duty to recommend the measures that a stricken nation in the midst of a stricken world may require. These measures, or such other measures as the Congress may build out of its experience and wisdom, I shall seek, within my constitutional authority, to bring to speedy adoption.
But in the event that the Congress shall fail to take one of these two courses, and in the event that the national emergency is still critical, I shall not evade the clear course of duty that will then confront me. I shall ask the Congress for the one remaining instrument to meet the crisis--broad Executive power to wage a war against the emergency, as great as the power that would be given to me if we were in fact invaded by a foreign foe.

For the trust reposed in me I will return the courage and the devotion that befit the time. I can do no less.
We do not distrust the future of essential democracy. The people of the United States have not failed. In their need they have registered a mandate that they want direct, vigorous action. They have asked for discipline and direction under leadership. They have made me the present instrument of their wishes. In the spirit of the gift I take it.
The people gave FDR a 'doctor's mandate' - the power to take whatever measures he felt necessary. As he said, the first thing the doctor does is relieve the patient's symptoms, then provide a cure, then ensure the disease doesn't come back - Relief, Recovery, Reform.

He openly said he did not have easy answers, or even answers at all. Instead he would enter into a period of 'bold, persistent experimentation' to find solutions. He promised a 'new deal for the American people'.

He won four presidential elections, beat the depression, ended racial discrimination in government service, reignited the economy and won a world war, dying, exhausted, in office.

The Republicans immediately amended the constitution to ensure that no president could ever be elected more than twice. His achievements were eroded, and are still being derided by the right...
Timbo, mr angry manchester, oboogie and 2 others liked this

By MisterMuncher
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:28 am
He promised a 'new deal for the American people'.

He won four presidential elections, beat the depression, ended racial discrimination in government service, reignited the economy and won a world war, dying, exhausted, in office.

The Republicans immediately amended the constitution to ensure that no president could ever be elected more than twice. His achievements were eroded, and are still being derided by the right...
Not to long ago you could find any number of RW US Pundits calling it The New Ordeal, and claiming it actually prolonged the depression.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:28 am
We spoke elsewhere of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, in my, and other people's opinion the greatest ever US President.

This is an abridged (by me) version of his inaugeral address of 1933. I put it up to compare and contrast with the words of Trump in a crisis.
...Let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself--nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. In every dark hour of our national life a leadership of frankness and vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves which is essential to victory. I am convinced that you will again give that support to leadership in these critical days.

...the rulers of the exchange of mankind's goods have failed, through their own stubbornness and their own incompetence, have admitted their failure, and abdicated. Practices of the unscrupulous money changers stand indicted in the court of public opinion, rejected by the hearts and minds of men.

Faced by failure of credit they have proposed only the lending of more money. Stripped of the lure of profit by which to induce our people to follow their false leadership, they have resorted to exhortations, pleading tearfully for restored confidence. They know only the rules of a generation of self-seekers. They have no vision, and when there is no vision the people perish.

The money changers have fled from their high seats in the temple of our civilization. We may now restore that temple to the ancient truths. The measure of the restoration lies in the extent to which we apply social values more noble than mere monetary profit.

Happiness lies not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort. The joy and moral stimulation of work no longer must be forgotten in the mad chase of evanescent profits. These dark days will be worth all they cost us if they teach us that our true destiny is not to be ministered unto but to minister to ourselves and to our fellow men.

This Nation asks for action, and action now.

In the field of world policy I would dedicate this Nation to the policy of the good neighbor--the neighbor who resolutely respects himself and, because he does so, respects the rights of others-- the neighbor who respects his obligations and respects the sanctity of his agreements in and with a world of neighbors.
I am prepared under my constitutional duty to recommend the measures that a stricken nation in the midst of a stricken world may require. These measures, or such other measures as the Congress may build out of its experience and wisdom, I shall seek, within my constitutional authority, to bring to speedy adoption.
But in the event that the Congress shall fail to take one of these two courses, and in the event that the national emergency is still critical, I shall not evade the clear course of duty that will then confront me. I shall ask the Congress for the one remaining instrument to meet the crisis--broad Executive power to wage a war against the emergency, as great as the power that would be given to me if we were in fact invaded by a foreign foe.

For the trust reposed in me I will return the courage and the devotion that befit the time. I can do no less.
We do not distrust the future of essential democracy. The people of the United States have not failed. In their need they have registered a mandate that they want direct, vigorous action. They have asked for discipline and direction under leadership. They have made me the present instrument of their wishes. In the spirit of the gift I take it.
The people gave FDR a 'doctor's mandate' - the power to take whatever measures he felt necessary. As he said, the first thing the doctor does is relieve the patient's symptoms, then provide a cure, then ensure the disease doesn't come back - Relief, Recovery, Reform.

He openly said he did not have easy answers, or even answers at all. Instead he would enter into a period of 'bold, persistent experimentation' to find solutions. He promised a 'new deal for the American people'.

I think Japanese-Americans might have a different view of him.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
He had the mother and father of all messes to deal with in his terms of office.I think, in view of his overall record and achievements and what he had to tackle, the occasional lapse can slip through.
oboogie liked this
US election 2020

I'm delighted that Biden has "gone there"[…]

Shaun Bailey

It's like watching a shit version of Carcetti's ca[…]

Was it followed by pictograms of a mushroom cloud […]

The Tories, Generally

The Tory spin and control of the media is so effe[…]