Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 34.7 % ❤ 3.2 % :thumbsup: 9.7 % 😯 10.8 % :grinning: 33.1 % 🧥 1.9 % 🙏 1.3 % 😟 1.3 % :cry: 3.8 % :shit: 0.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Catkins
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Bannon is a full on neo-Nazi. Not just hard-right, flirting with the fash conservative, but a hard-core white nationist.

You can see his influence in the Breitbart and other social media response to election. Any dissent is funded and run from behind the scenes by (((Soros))) and his shadowly cabal.

By cycloon
There's an article on the Guardian today about Breitbart. Cue comments: 'as if the Guardian is in any way unbiased', as if the two are equivalent on all levels, in all ways.

This false equivalency is really, really dangerous. Political leanings = bias = echo chamber, because blunt statements beat nuance.

By Catkins
These were fringe misogynist racists not so long ago, or so it seemed.
Exactly. Trump harnessed the power of social media in this election the way Obama used the internet.

What next though? Milo as women's rights spokeman?

Edit: What really depresses me about this election (apart from the existential threat to the planet etc) is that Trump and his acolytes are so malignant. Yes, there have been administrations which haven't given a shit about various marginalised groups, but gleefully threatening overt persecution is new.

By Kreuzberger
Catkins wrote: (Snipped)
Edit: What really depresses me about this election (apart from the existential threat to the planet etc) is that Trump and his acolytes are so malignant.
This is exactly what scares the living daylights out of so many observers. This Trump presidency and the emerging infrastructure behind it is driven by a perceived need to get even and settle old scores.

Under close scrutiny, these grievances don't add up to much beyond bitter racism but, to Trump and his team, they are real and have been ennobled by 59m voters. That is the scary part.

By Catkins
Do you think there's a chance that Trump will resign before the inauguration?

He took up politics as a hobby a couple of years ago. He wanted the glitz of the competition, not the win. He wants to be President, but not do the job of President. He'll be incapable of sitting in meetings for most of the day. It's too boring. He has no policies and can't grasp complexity. He doesn't want to move into the White House. He'll not be able to fill a couple of thousand vacancies in his administration's bureaucracy by January and the West Wing will not be functional. He's got a shit ton of court cases coming up in the next few months. The info coming out of that first meeting with Obama is that, when the scale of the task ahead was laid out, he had an 'oh shit' moment.

I know the current thinking is that he'll be the figurehead and other people will do the work - but what if he doesn't want to do even that? He's not going to stay on due to some commitment to the American people is he? (cf Cameron post Brexit)

Perhaps I'm suggesting this because I just can't fathom President bloody Trump in January 2017. It's the end of days.

(Trump is so unserious, he's the US version of H'Angus the monkey at Hartlepool Council)
By mattomac
I guess if he doesn't plan to take up the role he will wait til the Electoral College meet in December, if he resigned now then they would have quite the reasonable right to vote Clinton in on the popular vote argument.

People will speak up for Pence but no one voted for Pence, we might see that in 2020.
By Silkyman
Membership Days Posts
Drummond approached Hartlepool chairman Ken Hodcroft with an idea for some publicity and asked him to fund the £500 deposit that would allow him to stand for election. Hodcroft accepted the proposal but wanted the club to stay out of politics so forced Drummond to make the agenda his own and separate from the club. Drummond ran for mayor under his own name, campaigning for "free bananas" for all schoolchildren. He campaigned both at matches, much to the bemusement of opposition fans, and also locally and away from the football pitch. On 2 May 2002, Drummond was elected the first directly elected mayor of Hartlepool. Drummond immediately decided to concentrate on politics and ceased being H'Angus; he was quoted as saying, "I am Stuart Drummond, I am the Mayor of Hartlepool, not the monkey."[3] Drummond was re-elected in 2005, more than doubling his vote (up to over 16,000) and increasing his majority to over 10,000. At the same time, turnout increased from 30% to 51%. On the night of the election count, he proposed to his girlfriend, Beccy Buttery, who accepted. In 2009, Drummond was re-elected for a third term

By D.C. Harrison
Membership Days Posts
Anybody know what odds on Trump not being President in 2020? Can see him either being impeached, suffering bad health (he hardly looks like a man who could hack continuous long work days) or sacking it off either from boredom or in a sulk that he's not allowed to do what he wants.

By Bones McCoy
D.C. Harrison wrote:Anybody know what odds on Trump not being President in 2020? Can see him either being impeached, suffering bad health (he hardly looks like a man who could hack continuous long work days) or sacking it off either from boredom or in a sulk that he's not allowed to do what he wants.
Or maybe that sore foot that saved him a tour to 'Nam.
The Trump Presidency

The last president who refused to attend the inaug[…]

Labour, Generally.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been reading E[…]

Declining standards

At a guess, I would suggest that it was propagated[…]

Priti Patel

Patel doesn't seem to have commented on the data[…]