Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 33.5 % ❤ 3.1 % :thumbsup: 10.7 % 😯 10.7 % :grinning: 33.5 % 🧥 1.8 % 🙏 1.5 % 😟 1.3 % :cry: 3.6 % :shit: 0.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Some interesting legal thoughts are emerging on the YouTubesphere.
I'm no Lawyer, so I'll describe as well as I can.

The assertion is that a person who accepts a pardon, accepts they are guilty of the charge, and surrenders their right to 5th amendment silence.

Let's look at the case of Bannon.
If Bannon accepts the pardon, he is in the clear, but he accepts that the crime he was accused of occurred.
Good news for Bannon, bad news for his co-accused.

Further, Bannon can be taken in and questioned (I think this is similar to Subpoena'd, but can't be sure).
He now can't "take the 5th", so will become a witness against his co-accused.

The folks explaining this suggest that the Pardon is great news for the pardonee, and very bad news for the co-accused.
Like a plea bargain, but one you can't refuse.

By Zuriblue
Membership Days Posts
Excellent piece here

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/01/ ... ssion=true

Rather ironic that it’s in the National Review.

By Kreuzberger
One by one, these otherwise and hitherto untouchable charlatans and frauds are being dismantled and are headed for the courts. Hell mend 'em, bastards.
mattomac liked this

By slilley
Membership Days Membership Days
Bones McCoy wrote:Some interesting legal thoughts are emerging on the YouTubesphere.
I'm no Lawyer, so I'll describe as well as I can.

The assertion is that a person who accepts a pardon, accepts they are guilty of the charge, and surrenders their right to 5th amendment silence.

Let's look at the case of Bannon.
If Bannon accepts the pardon, he is in the clear, but he accepts that the crime he was accused of occurred.
Good news for Bannon, bad news for his co-accused.

Further, Bannon can be taken in and questioned (I think this is similar to Subpoena'd, but can't be sure).
He now can't "take the 5th", so will become a witness against his co-accused.

The folks explaining this suggest that the Pardon is great news for the pardonee, and very bad news for the co-accused.
Like a plea bargain, but one you can't refuse.
Bones I can can certainly clarify some of what you say. Attached is a picture of Page 179 of Gerald Ford's book A Time To Heal. It clearly says that the Supreme Court has established that the act of accepting a pardon means you are acknowledging your guilt forthe crimes for which you were convicted or at least charged with. In Nixon's case he was never charged with any crime, an indictment in the Watergate trials did have him listed as an unidicted co-conspirator but that was as far as it went.

By accepting the pardon Bannon has admitted he was guilty of fraud and the like. Quite what effect that has on his ability to raise money for other ventures, or indeed to be able to travel to some countries in order to help propogate his view of the world remains to be seen.

Simon
Attachments
IMG_1538.jpg
IMG_1538.jpg (107.71 KiB) Viewed 3975 times

By Andy McDandy
Kreuzberger wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:53 pm
One by one, these otherwise and hitherto untouchable charlatans and frauds are being dismantled and are headed for the courts. Hell mend 'em, bastards.
I'm reminded of Tony Wilson's thoughts on merry-go-rounds breaking down.

"Nobody beats gravity"

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
The Red Arrow wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:03 pm
‘The perfect target’: Russia cultivated Trump as asset for 40 years – ex-KGB spy
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... y-new-book
But no evidence produced that Trump stole secrets or spied on his country. Plenty that he was useful greedy idiot to the Kremlin.
Yuri Shvets, posted to Washington by the Soviet Union in the 1980s, compares the former US president to “the Cambridge five”, the British spy ring that passed secrets to Moscow during the second world war and early cold war.

By Andy McDandy
Wait until they start asking for money. Until then he can plot all he likes. And anyone taking orders from him can be done in a myriad of ways.
Bones McCoy, mattomac liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
You’d think a former FBI director would be first to
call for Trump’s prosecution but James Comey took a more nuanced political view as to why you shouldn’t. He’ll be hogging the media agenda every day with a trial so leave him to fade away shouting at cars in Mar-a-Largo
https://www.channel4.com/news/former-fb ... rosecution
In the dock again!

It'll be "Soz" in 0.01pt font between th[…]

"Boris" Johnson

This is the sort of thing that's appearing in the […]

The Tories, Generally

Not that anyone should be surprised. Every opinion[…]

Meanwhile in America

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=h[…]