Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 33.5 % ❤ 3.1 % :thumbsup: 10.7 % 😯 10.7 % :grinning: 33.5 % 🧥 1.8 % 🙏 1.5 % 😟 1.3 % :cry: 3.6 % :shit: 0.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
And we're off! Trump's legal expert seems more than just a bit of a tit.
...the reason the Roman Senate “collapsed” was not “bickering” it was Julius Cesar using the military to establish a dictatorship and fight a Civil War. Sounds familiar?

Scroll up for a full dissection (tittersome), but this sums it up so far...

By Malcolm Armsteen
Fuck me - Trump's 'lawyer' is waving the Thoughts of Chairman Mao around and comparing the Democrat case to it...

This is seriously deranged stuff.

By MisterMuncher
It all invites questions.

Trump was known to be very, very trigger happy with the lawsuits. Through his business career, he chopped and hacked through anyone he owed money to. You've got to wonder how in the name of fuck he managed that with his taste in representation.

Did he just throw money at it till the stakes were too high to be worth the risk of fighting it out in court?

By Andy McDandy
Basically. In poker it's called "pushing", where you keep raising on a weak hand to price out players with good hands but little money/chips. They can't risk the chance you might have something good, so fold.

In law, even a win might not cover costs for a poor plaintiff, so it's possible to scare people off with just the risk of a dragged out lawsuit, let alone a defeat.

By Scarlet emperor
Membership Days
If you get a chance you must watch the video the Democrats played of the 6th January riot. I knew it was bad but that shows how frightening it actually was. It shows that it was lucky there were 'only' 7 deaths - that mob was bloodthirsty, whipped up by a pathetic, narcissistic, small little man who hid in the White House drooling over what they were doing.
You can tell how strong the evidence in it was because those anal tumours Cruz, Rubio etc., couldn't even look at it. They were suddenly very interested in their notepads. They absolutely know what they are doing and supporting. They ARE Trump - small minded, pathetic, cowardly sycophants begging their orange master for some crumbs of praise and prepared to watch people die, on both sides (to coin a phrase), on the chance they can get and keep power.
Arrowhead, Oblomov, Watchman and 1 others liked this

By Bones McCoy
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:28 pm
Fuck me - Trump's 'lawyer' is waving the Thoughts of Chairman Mao around and comparing the Democrat case to it...

This is seriously deranged stuff.
Tomorrow he will appear dressed as a cat.

By crabcakes_windermere
Scarlet emperor wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:48 am
If you get a chance you must watch the video the Democrats played of the 6th January riot. I knew it was bad but that shows how frightening it actually was. It shows that it was lucky there were 'only' 7 deaths - that mob was bloodthirsty, whipped up by a pathetic, narcissistic, small little man who hid in the White House drooling over what they were doing.
You can tell how strong the evidence in it was because those anal tumours Cruz, Rubio etc., couldn't even look at it. They were suddenly very interested in their notepads. They absolutely know what they are doing and supporting. They ARE Trump - small minded, pathetic, cowardly sycophants begging their orange master for some crumbs of praise and prepared to watch people die, on both sides (to coin a phrase), on the chance they can get and keep power.
I remain convinced that the longer the trial goes on, the worse it will be for the republicans and the more like an impeachment is regardless of the way the vote would go if held right now - as soon as McConnell judges that there is more to be gained from a conviction than trying to make it go away, he'll flip because he has zero loyalty to Trump and is, as ever, entirely in it for self-preservation and preservation of the GOP. The footage is appalling, a lot of people will be seeing it for the first time, and public opinion will continue to shift - particularly given Biden has hit the ground practically sprinting, which highlights just how bad and lazy Trump was, and Trump has disappointed so many former fans and Q followers by turning out to actually be the bullshitting grifter he really was all along. It's a very, very late coming to the senses for many, but it's happening.

The fact Trump's lawyers have been so utterly dreadful is almost a red herring - now it has been agreed that the impeachment is legal, the senate have to judge it on what the case is, not whether it should happen. And that means anyone voting to acquit is saying what they saw is just fine. Trump's best chance to get off was yesterday on constitutional interpretation, it was a weak position anyway, and his lawyers completely blew it. Now they have flimsy 1st amendment arguments and pretty much nothing else.

What has surprised me is that there have already been some republicans making hedge-betting noises on day 1 - I expected it to take a few days before cracks appeared. In the meantime, this was written about the last impeachment, but I think it's even more applicable now.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/it ... don-nixon/
oboogie liked this

By MisterMuncher
McConnell has a distinct vibe of granny seller, doesn't he?

The algebra isn't complicated. They lose people either way, but cutting Trump loose loses votes from people who won't flip Democrat, in places where they're probably going to win anyway (generalisation, but true enough to work). The Georgia run-off proved how well Trump-adjacent folk would do in increasingly purple states.
oboogie liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
MisterMuncher wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:06 pm
McConnell has a distinct vibe of granny seller, doesn't he?

The algebra isn't complicated. They lose people either way, but cutting Trump loose loses votes from people who won't flip Democrat, in places where they're probably going to win anyway (generalisation, but true enough to work). The Georgia run-off proved how well Trump-adjacent folk would do in increasingly purple states.
I think this is key: apparently the republicans have been absolutely shitting members after Jan 6 - some because they were only there for Trump, some because they were disgusted that Trump turned out to be exactly what everyone said he was (see: brexiteers who are suddenly pissed off about stuff they were told 4 years ago and chose not to believe for their own convenience). Somewhere on a laptop in a republican office is a spreadsheet with numbers of registered voters plugged in and estimates of how those numbers will change based on private polling. When that spreadsheet shows enough net negatives in the right places from sticking by Trump in this trial, that's it. And the direction of travel is only going one way.

It's disgusting that for most senate Republicans it is nothing more than a numbers game, and a calculated guess on whether/when they should do an about face to inflict the least damage for the shortest amount of time, but that's what it comes down to. Even headbangers like Hawley and Cruz will turn on Trump if they were told they'd do better in the "convict" camp - and they have half an eye on replacing him, which is a hell of a lot easier if he's out of the picture himself. If the opportunity arises to paint Trump as the traitor, they'll take it - and don't doubt for a second McConnell has plans in place to dump everything on Donald's doorstep if the wind starts blowing that way. The right wing love a "lone wolf with a gun story" to absolve themselves of responsibility, after all.
oboogie liked this

By Andy McDandy
As I said to an American friend this morning, the sad thing from my perspective is that the motivating factor seems to be fear of losing the "Trump base", by which I mean the Yank equivalent of the Wetherspoons pisshead, stereotypical Red Waller, and neo-Nazi boot boy rolled into one.

I get their fear of being out of power, I get that they feel entitled to it. I just despair that none of them seem to think that they have any better prospect than a man who only just managed to get them into power, who alienated people at every turn, and whose only real achievement was to use his office to make partisan appointments. None of them seem to think that such old fashioned ideas such as attractive policies or charismatic leadership have any place.

By Samanfur
I wonder how much things like that matter. It's true that Trump promised to reopen their coal mines etc and didn't deliver, but there were two things he did in spades:

i. Reflect their lowest prejudices.

ii. Repeatedly tell them how special they were, and how much he loved them.

I don't think it's about Trump. I think it's about a base who were so frustrated with going from at least having the fact that they were white going for them to lord above all the Others to suddenly realising that just being white and even white and loud wasn't enough any more.

Most of them aren't particularly educated or informed, as Trump himself was more than happy to admit. Their communities have been left behind due to a combination of lack of investment and lack of local upskilling, and they lack the self-awareness and introspection other than to automatically assume that it must be the fault of someone who isn't One of Them.

And then along comes this guy who they've seen on TV as their idea as successful, says what they want to hear about who's to blame for their predicament, tells them how right they are, and tells them all how wonderful they are when everyone else tells them that they're ordinary.

He didn't particularly need policies, as January 6th proved. The hardcore of these people're so invested in the idea that he meant what he said and he might be their last chance, that they're willing to try to overthrow the government on the strength of nothing but a bunch of unfulfilled promises, that'll surely be fulfilled if they buy him more time. It'll be the same if he or any of his mini-mes (related or otherwise) are allowed to run in 2024.
Andy McDandy, oboogie, Oblomov and 1 others liked this

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Scarlet emperor wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:48 am
I did Jesus it was the only quick thinking of the Capitol Police and the Secret Service that we're not looking at a death toll of hundreds even thousands.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Yes; this is what you voted for. Screenshot_202[…]

Roll Call

I'm surprised how many of those in my circle of […]

The Biden Presidency.

Well, at the moment they're busy moaning that they[…]

"Yebbut everyone was doing it" didn't […]