Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 32.3 % ❤ 3.9 % :thumbsup: 21.7 % 😯 7.9 % :grinning: 25.6 % 🙏 1.2 % 😟 4.3 % :cry: 2.8 % :shit: 0.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I think Bernie or Bust is probably overrated. The problem in 2016 was Hillary not getting support from black voters where she needed it, like cities in the Mid West. In fairness to her, she did pick up support in places where she had enough already (California) or was too far behind (Texas), hence overall popular vote performance. For some reason, Biden seems very popular with black voters, despite an attackable record. We have to hope this withstands the concern trolling from Republicans.

Meanwhile, here's the latest culture war. Smug out of touch Nancy Pelosi and her fancy ice cream.

By Boiler
Posts LikeBB
The Red Arrow wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:12 pm
I'm still of the opinion that Clinton's sense of entitlement did her no favours. Biden is shite though, isn't he? I'm not sure 'not being Trump' will cut it.
^^ Absolutely this. I just got the feeling the Yanks were bored of presidential dynasties, and Clinton was a particularly unpleasant individual. Face it: the Dems are going to have to go a loooong way to get another candidate with the charisma and élan of Barack Obama.

By Tubby Isaacs
The Red Arrow wrote:
I'm still of the opinion that Clinton's sense of entitlement did her no favours. Biden is shite though, isn't he? I'm not sure 'not being Trump' will cut it.
Clinton had some bad baggage, but the "platform" (American presidents don't really run on a manifesto, like a British PM) was actually OK and you could see that she'd responded positively to Sanders in it. Her demeanour since has done her less credit.

Biden looks a bit past it, but "referendum on Trump" and "no more Kavanaughs on the Supreme Court" plus a decent civil rights platform probably is enough.

By Tubby Isaacs
Boiler wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:16 pm
The Red Arrow wrote:
^^ Absolutely this. I just got the feeling the Yanks were bored of presidential dynasties, and Clinton was a particularly unpleasant individual. Face it: the Dems are going to have to go a loooong way to get another candidate with the charisma and élan of Barack Obama.
I didn't pick up that she was a particularly unpleasant individual really. Nobody else has been as vilified, over a long period, with rubbish like Arkansas death squads being treated seriously by lots of media. But as I said of Jez, doesn't matter how fair it is, if somebody else can take over without your baggage, you move aside. Plenty of Democrat governors/ Senators could have done the job instead.

As you say, the "dynasty" aspect was bad for her.

By Tubby Isaacs
lord_kobel wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:55 pm
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:09 pm
For some reason, Biden seems very popular with black voters, despite an attackable record.
Only with older black voters, apparently.
Older blacks will vote a lot more than younger ones, same as whites, so I don't know if that's a particular problem.

I haven't seen a break down of the Clinton underperformance with black voters. Maybe that was predominantly young, but I think it was more general.

By Tubby Isaacs
lord_kobel wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:01 pm
You don't give him what he wants by blaming China, for a start....
They're blaming Trump as well. Going much harder than opposition parties here feel they can.

I don't know what they'll do. But Trump's going for "China's fault and I'm tougher on China", and you have to do something about that. Not least because China is culpable.

By lord_kobel
Tubby Isaacs wrote:He's blaming them anyway. You can't really say China isn't culpable.

They do point out Trump fucking up. This actually does that, whether or not they use it.
Yes, trump is blaming china. That's why the DNC shouldn't be agreeing with him. They should be pointing out that whether or not china is to blame for the start, trump has fucked up the things he controls in the USA, not competing to see who can hate the chinese the most.
The Tories, Generally

https://c.yell.com/t_galleryFit,f_auto/4040bcd0[…]

What did the General Secretary actually rule was[…]

Sir Keir Starmer

Interesting, even taking into account my mistrus[…]

Odin in an Opel! https://twitter.com/rachaelven[…]