Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 31.9 % ❤ 4 % :thumbsup: 21.9 % 😯 8 % :grinning: 25.5 % 🙏 1.2 % 😟 4.4 % :cry: 2.8 % :shit: 0.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I don't know if it works as a message, but I think both that China is culpable and that Trump didn't give a fuck because he wanted a "trade win" to help the economy. He probably needed it- year on year growth in Q4 2019 was 2.1%.

Does somebody who doesn't start the trade war in the first place, doesn't then scramble for a resolution at all costs, and doesn't treat intelligence sources as "deep state" do a better job leading up to the crisis? Absolutely.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
A key point the tweet Kobel linked missed out on.

https://www.axios.com/dnc-memo-trump-bi ... ntent=1100
Why it matters: Top Trump campaign officials said they'll paint Joe Biden as "soft" on China as a major line of attack during the 2020 race. The new memo by Democratic National Committee officials outlines a rebuttal as Biden prepares for the general election race against Trump.
So this is actually a rebuttall to what Trump is going saying.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:45 pm
I don't know if Trump'll win. They have a big problem in suburbs. Maybe these suburbs are in the wrong place (ie states they'll win anyway or lose anyway), maybe they aren't,

But whatever happens, I'm not counting on Covid to shift things all that much.
Despite what some on here say his victory isn't guaranteed.

By MisterMuncher
I'm inclined to agree there.

For all that they're splashy and generate copy, the rallies and rabbles aren't *that* electorally significant. Trump was put over the line by two main factors, middle income Republicans holding their nose, and Democrats staying at home. I can't see the latter being as much an issue this time. The former is "shy Tories" to the nth power.
By mattomac
Biden is like a different version of Trump, a bit of a Clintonesque type leader with age. I was always told don’t run a dour candidate against a rabble rouser. Trump was always going beat Clinton as they kept going after her weakness. Challenging the democrats on position rather than personality won’t work.

Trump is ramping this up to the nth degree because he knows he is in troubling waters, he needs the economy to win election and he is willing to risk thousands of lives on that. Trump will in my view lose unless by some miraculous deliverance the disease doesn’t spread like it has everywhere else.

Irony in all this is, like Bolosarno like Johnson, he probably will be a one term leader, Macron meanwhile will win re-election. Preaching to the converted works both on the left and the right. You have to keep on carrying them.

Two things I thought would hurt the democrats, the impeachment would remain news, and secondary Sanders would take it all the way to the DNC. Both things are now gone.

Only way Trump wins is that the economy isn’t totally tanked and somehow it doesn’t spread, science would suggest the latter is unlikely and the fact billions just disappeared after 2 days of a surplus suggest he has gone.

Biden would be best to put himself forward as a new FDR. I feared Trump might win and didn’t expect it, though it was in the worst case scenario of polling which treated me to a good couple of drinks down the pub.

No point looking at polling ratings now mind, look when the dust has settled. Trump didn’t win preaching to the converted, much like Corbyn didn’t. Clinton fucked up, doing that manniquin challenge two days before Election Day, complete lack of campaigning in parts in the week before, I cannot see Biden making those mistakes.
Arrowhead liked this

By lord_kobel
mattomac wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:17 pm
Trump was always going beat Clinton as they kept going after her weakness.
Which is why putting up a racist rapist with brain rot against him is such a stupid idea.

mattomac wrote:
Biden would be best to put himself forward as a new FDR.
True, but he'd never go for it. This is a guy who said he had no empathy for millenials living in a fucked up world and who said he'd veto universal health care due to costs.

mattomac wrote:
Clinton fucked up, doing that manniquin challenge two days before Election Day, complete lack of campaigning in parts in the week before, I cannot see Biden making those mistakes.
I can barely see him making it to Election Day, the way he's going at the moment.

By Tubby Isaacs
This is a guy who said he had no empathy for millenials living in a fucked up world and who said he'd veto universal health care due to costs.
Not universal health care, single payer, whereby the costs are paid in taxes. Obviously you and I know that the costs are lower in the longer term, but it would be a huge culture shift for Americans to do that. The Democrats got killed in 2010 by about 2% of people having to change doctors.

I think it's better to look for other ways to reduce the uninsured rate, though I haven't seen much from Biden so far. Be aware that Obamacare was actively sabotaged by Trump and Republicans in red states. The Supreme Court has those saboteurs backs too.
Timbo liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
youngian wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:23 pm
I can barely see him making it to Election Day, the way he's going at the moment.

Biden's best shot at the moment is to appoint Andrew Cuomo as his running mate and then die around September.
Would that not mean Sanders was the nominee?

By lord_kobel
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:40 pm
Not universal health care, single payer, whereby the costs are paid in taxes. Obviously you and I know that the costs are lower in the longer term, but it would be a huge culture shift for Americans to do that.
Which is nothing if he wants to "put himself forward as a new FDR."

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Would that not mean Sanders was the nominee?
No, which is one theory as to why the DNC were so keen for Sanders to drop out before that happened. Once Biden is the actual nominee, it's a lot easier for the DNC to just replace him with someone else they like.

By Tubby Isaacs
lord_kobel wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:54 pm
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:40 pm
Not universal health care, single payer, whereby the costs are paid in taxes. Obviously you and I know that the costs are lower in the longer term, but it would be a huge culture shift for Americans to do that.
Which is nothing if he wants to "put himself forward as a new FDR."

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Would that not mean Sanders was the nominee?
No, which is one theory as to why the DNC were so keen for Sanders to drop out before that happened. Once Biden is the actual nominee, it's a lot easier for the DNC to just replace him with someone else they like.
It wouldn't be at all easier to do that. There's no precedent at all for it, and no voters anywhere like stitch ups. Trump got tons of mileage about the alleged "rigging" last time, he'd get even more if this happened. Clearly a lot of Dem establishment don't want Sanders, but it's much easier to put him forward and watch the bits they don't like die in the Senate anyway.

The "DNC" is a bit of a meme anyway. It doesn't have the power people think it does and even if it did, it wouldn't be effective enough to do what it's said to be trying to do. It's one of these things where different people use the same meme to stand for completely opposite things. Like "Nancy Pelosi", who is a hard leftist or a hard rightist, depending on who's chucking it about. There's not really a corresponding "RNC" meme.
By mattomac
It’s America, why try and run a decent candidate who articulately argue factual points of view against Trump.

It’s not going work, Biden is perfect, bullshit against bullshit, Trump can hardly go name calling Biden on being a racist touchy feeler.

I think Biden is an utter prat who I would probably avoid if he ran for Labour, but he has at least done Government and understands, we currently have a cretin in charge of the USA.
Timbo liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I think Biden is an utter prat who I would probably avoid if he ran for Labour, but he has at least done Government and understands, we currently have a cretin in charge of the USA.

Obama chose him as a running mate for a reason and it was probably to woo voters that he couldn’t. The same one’s who Trump can reach. The problem for the Democrats is any competent Senator or Governor under 70 up to the top job didn’t want to go down to Trump in 2020.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Which is why putting up a racist rapist with brain rot against him is such a stupid idea.
Except he isn't.

1. Biden is such a racist that his main support in the primary was African-American not to mention he was Obama's Vice President.

2. The rape allegation is unproven and hasn't been touched by mainstream media, also the woman in question happens to be a Putin supporting Bernie fan.

3. One thing that went so well in 2016 was people playing amateur doctor.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

There you go. We're inclusive, or we're not - maki[…]

C**t of the day

Pretty much most of the BTL commentariat on the ne[…]

Sir Keir Starmer

They'd be a bit late to the game because a "[…]

Richard Littlejohn

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9003377[…]