Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 29.3 % ❤ 3.4 % :thumbsup: 29.3 % 😯 5.2 % :grinning: 12.1 % 🙏 3.4 % 😟 10.3 % :cry: 6.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I didn't realize that Missouri has a Medicaid Expansion ballot coming up on 4 August. Interestingly, that's the date of the primaries for both parties. Turnout will likely be a lot lower than it would be if it were held in November on the date of the general election. Missouri will vote for Trump, and most of the Trump voters will vote against Medicaid expansion. So you might expect that, if you wanted to win, you'd schedule the ballot for November.

However, it's not just Trump who's up for re-election in November- the Republican Governor of Missouri is too. And Missouri does sometimes elect Democrat governors. I wonder if the Governor is happy for it to have passed already and be less of a live issue in his own re-election race.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:14 pm
I didn't realize that Missouri has a Medicaid Expansion ballot coming up on 4 August. Interestingly, that's the date of the primaries for both parties. Turnout will likely be a lot lower than it would be if it were held in November on the date of the general election. Missouri will vote for Trump, and most of the Trump voters will vote against Medicaid expansion. So you might expect that, if you wanted to win, you'd schedule the ballot for November.

However, it's not just Trump who's up for re-election in November- the Republican Governor of Missouri is too. And Missouri does sometimes elect Democrat governors. I wonder if the Governor is happy for it to have passed already and be less of a live issue in his own re-election race.
I wouldn't be too sure of that they voted out their Democrat senator in 2018 and their Democrat governor in 2016.

By Tubby Isaacs
I think McCaskill was probably sunk by her vote against Kavanaugh, like Donnelly in Indiana. Both of those had probably only won in 2012 because the Republicans nominated candidates barely any better than Roy Moore. They tightened up on their candidates in 2018 as much as they needed to.

Parsons (R) is big favourite to retain the governorship and you think he'd be carried over the line by Trump. But having to run on stopping Medicaid expansion could be a nuisance to him. I can see why he might want the issue downgraded a bit in November. The Democrats can win statewide races with the right candidate in really good years.

By Arrowhead
youngian wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:16 am
Trump’s mate Kanye West has announced his candidacy for POTUS. I’m off to bed wake me up in 2030
Well, that is one hell of an album rollout strategy :lol:

I'm already seeing Bernie Bros on Twitter declaring Kanye as a better option than Biden. Personally, I very much doubt he'll even get close to making it onto the ballot.
Tubby Isaacs liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:59 am
Can you imagine the First Lady being Kim Kardashian?
Yes. I assume West has cut a deal with Trump as a Ross Perot spoiler candidate. Kanye will go out there, have fun and deliver his objective to put Trump back into the Whitehouse.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
I thought that was a wind up at first about Kanye West, Jesus.....

Thinking positively, it MIGHT split the loon vote and help the opposition. Kim Kardashian will attract the MM* vote

*masturbating masses

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Alright calm donw people.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53297864
But it's unclear whether West is really running.

He does not appear to have registered his name with the Federal Election Commission (FEC) for November's election. The closest name the FEC database shows is a candidate called "Kanye Deez Nutz West", who filed their papers with the Green Party in 2015 under the address "1977 Golddigger Avenue, Suite Yeezus" and appears to have raised no money.
oboogie liked this

By Arrowhead
Even if he did launch a serious run, I'm sure he'd get nowhere. His star has dimmed very considerably in the past few years, not least due to his tendency to spout utter gibberish such as the enslavement of African Americans as being "a choice". His recent tweet luxuriating over Kim Kardashian officially becoming a billionaire being another case in point.

As Mr Angry Manchester pointed out, he'd be more likely to peel off thicko Trump supporters - of whom there are many.
mattomac liked this

By spoonman
I guess West could stand as a "write in" candidate in those states that allow it, the same way Joe Exotic of Tiger King fame did in 2016.

The idea of Kim Kardashian as first lady... "Ladies & Gentlemen, it is my honor to introduce to you the biggest ass on this planet... and the First Lady!"
Arrowhead, Schmee liked this
The Tories, Generally

https://twitter.com/alanferrier/status/12910120818[…]

Boris Johnson

https://mobile.twitter.com/alanferrier/status/1291[…]

Meanwhile, in Lebanon

On conspiracy theories... https://www.bbc.co.uk/n[…]

Roll Call

It certainly seems to be making my local takeaway […]