Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 31.9 % ❤ 4 % :thumbsup: 21.9 % 😯 8 % :grinning: 25.5 % 🙏 1.2 % 😟 4.4 % :cry: 2.8 % :shit: 0.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
lord_kobel wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:10 pm
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:42 pm
Mates with Strom Thurmond?
One of his "closest friends", in Biden's own words: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poli ... se-society

Tubby Isaacs wrote: I think the debates don't matter that much anyway. Trump got killed in them.
So the plan to win is to do worse than last time?

Tubby Isaacs wrote: I mean, "he looked at notes in an interview on the internet", that's supposed to be a big problem?
That he was shit even with notes? Yes, that's a problem.

Tubby Isaacs wrote: The media didn't "get Sanders out".
The point being if you can get rid of an opponent, you do it after they can easily be replaced.

Tubby Isaacs wrote:The media isn't as liberal as it's made out, but most of them don't want Trump.
Enough of them want trump or don't care about him getting in, as it gives them more to write about.
I didn't know about that speech up there, though it's in 1988. I don't know, maybe this can be concern trolled into a problem for him (I'm not accusing you of that, I'm referring to what Republicans do) but being nice in a speech about somebody isn't that unusual. There's a civil rights bill that Trump would veto that Biden won't, that's likely to count a lot more.

I still don't get this logic about "replacing". Replacing who with who? Biden with his VP selection, who's most likely to be Kamala Harris? She's not a rightwinger. And that's not at all easy. Sanders is way more likely to be the selection, and because of the Senate you'd most likely get pretty much what Biden would have got you.

Clinton was too disliked. Same problem Jez had, and neither of them would take one for the team and not run. Biden isn't that disliked. He did lots of primary debates, with tougher opponents (not one to one admittedly), but he came out of those OK. I don't see the debate as that important, same as they weren't in 2016 or 2012 (where Obama did badly in the first debate and still won by nearly 4 points).

Why this over-focus on the young? They didn't show up in the primary in sufficient numbers. But we think there are zillions of them who, having not bothered with Sanders before (despite him being very well known) would show up for him in November but won't show up for Biden? We've got recent experience of non-turning up young people here. I'll trade that for being popular with groups who vote. It applies to older white people too.

By Boiler
Two things:

One - Trump is going to win, and that is that.

Two - @Global moderators - perhaps the time has come to split some of these recent posts off into say, "The 2020 US Presidential Election" ??

By Malcolm Armsteen
lord_kobel wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:13 pm
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:58 pm
Oh no - we're seeking absolute purity. Only a saint can represent us. Only our saint...
I'm sorry? You think you have to be a saint not to inappropriately touch people?
You called him a rapist. You're not well.

By lord_kobel
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:22 pm
Only yesterday you expressed astonishment that he got support from African-Americans.
Huh? Do you mean when I said that he only got support from older PoC voters or when I asked where you got the idea that his "main support" was from PoC voters?
Kreuzberger liked this

By lord_kobel
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:32 pm
being nice in a speech about somebody isn't that unusual.
But combined with how shit he has been historically, along with the shit he's been saying lately, it's a pretty danming pattern.

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
There's a civil rights bill that Trump would veto that Biden won't, that's likely to count a lot more.
Probably wouldn't. As I've said, he's got a shitty record on race and is keen to work with republicans.

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
I still don't get this logic about "replacing". Replacing who with who? Biden with his VP selection, who's most likely to be Kamala Harris? She's not a rightwinger.
The attorney general known as The Cop? She's certainly not a left winger.

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Clinton was too disliked. Same problem Jez had, and neither of them would take one for the team and not run. Biden isn't that disliked.
People are less enthused to vote for him than they were for clinton. That's how badly the democrats have fucked up: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-c ... d=69812092

By Kreuzberger
"Black", "Blacks". Am I the only one here becoming increasingly repulsed by this terminology?

If some people want to use these terms to define their struggle, so be it. That is their choice and their right. For everyone else, PoC should be more than enough as a demographic reference point.
Arrowhead, Watchman liked this

By lord_kobel
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:20 pm
lord_kobel wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:13 pm
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:58 pm
Oh no - we're seeking absolute purity. Only a saint can represent us. Only our saint...
I'm sorry? You think you have to be a saint not to inappropriately touch people?
You called him a rapist.
So you're saying you think you have to be a saint not to rape someone? And you think I'm not well?

I intentionally dialled it back a bit in my last comment so as to not call you out for the full shitness of what you said, but you had to keep digging, didn't you?

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
lord_kobel wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:25 pm
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Only yesterday you expressed astonishment that he got support from African-Americans.
Huh? Do you mean when I said that he only got support from older PoC voters or when I asked where you got the idea that his "main support" was from PoC voters?
No this is what you said today
His "main support"? Where are you getting that from?
Any observer of the Democratic primary would tell you that Biden was strong getting support from African-Americans and this was his main support. One of the reasons why Sanders lost was becasue he failed to build on his support among African-Americans.

By lord_kobel
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:58 pm
lord_kobel wrote:
The Weeping Angel wrote:
No this is what you said today
His "main support"? Where are you getting that from?
Any observer of the Democratic primary would tell you that Biden was strong getting support from African-Americans and this was his main support. One of the reasons why Sanders lost was becasue he failed to build on his support among African-Americans.
So when you said "no", you actually meant "yes"? As you've agreed that you're talking about
lord_kobel wrote:
when I asked where you got the idea that his "main support" was from PoC voters?
Asking you to back up your claim that his "main support" was from PoC is not the same thing as being astonished that he got any support from PoC. You've still failed to provide any evidence of your initial claim, by the way.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Asking you to back up your claim that his "main support" was from PoC is not the same thing as being astonished that he got any support from PoC. You've still failed to provide any evidence of your initial claim, by the way.
Let's see

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/bla ... e-n1151001

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ni ... -democrats

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/10/21172085/ ... -tuesday-2
Last edited by The Weeping Angel on Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By lord_kobel
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:17 pm
It is interesting that Kobel is using the Washington Examiner a noted Conservative newspaper.
Interesting in that you still haven't provided a source for your claim, you mean?

NPR do you as a better source?
https://www.npr.org/2020/04/19/83796652 ... allegation

I mean, given that the important bit is "NPR obtained confirmation of the police report from a law enforcement source. A record of the report names Biden" which would be pretty hard to bias one way or another.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

There you go. We're inclusive, or we're not - maki[…]

C**t of the day

Pretty much most of the BTL commentariat on the ne[…]

Sir Keir Starmer

They'd be a bit late to the game because a "[…]

Richard Littlejohn

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9003377[…]