Political talk from outside of the UK
:sunglasses: 32 % ❤ 1.9 % :thumbsup: 27.2 % 😯 7.8 % :grinning: 19.4 % 🙏 1.9 % 😟 5.8 % :cry: 3.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Pakman again - some republicans are voicing concern that if (and that's a bigly 'if') he loses, he'll resign by January and get President Pence to pardon him.

More words of wisdom from a not-as-laid-back-as-usual Beau - my 'this is gaining traction' senses are tingling.

By crabcakes_windermere
The Red Arrow wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:30 am
Pakman again - some republicans are voicing concern that if (and that's a bigly 'if') he loses, he'll resign by January and get President Pence to pardon him.

More words of wisdom from a not-as-laid-back-as-usual Beau - my 'this is gaining traction' senses are tingling.

I've been wondering if this might happen even sooner - can't lose an election if you don't fight it.

By Boiler
The Red Arrow wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:30 am
That seems plausible.

By crabcakes_windermere
It would absolutely annihilate the republicans' credibility (such as it is already) - it's not even in the same league as Ford and Nixon. That was drawing a line under things. This would be purely to get Trump off the hook. Plus it would need to be far more wide-ranging - Nixon's pardon was just for what he did in office. Trump needs to stay in office to be immune from prosecution for things he did before he got there as well.

If this looks like it will be credible before the election, they could see a whole host of down-ticket losses as well as the presidency. But hey, the republicans would finally get the message that the only person Donald Trump has ever given a shit about is Donald Trump.

By spoonman
The problem with the idea of Tr*mp resigning and a short-term President Pence giving out a blanket pardon for him is that it would only cover (potential) federal crimes - crimes being investigated by the states for which only the respective governors can pardon would still be live on the crime family. That includes New York for one not to mention suspected several others whom have sealed indictments waiting to be unsealed when the chance comes.

By Andy McDandy
I honestly don't see him returning to New York any time soon. Florida if anywhere in the US, more likely a lakeside villa in Switzerland.

By spoonman
Andy McDandy wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:28 pm
I honestly don't see him returning to New York any time soon. Florida if anywhere in the US, more likely a lakeside villa in Switzerland.
Don't see the Swiss tolerating him - they might allow despots flying into Geneva Airport but they don't like them hanging around too long - also I'd expect 'merkin interstate extradition orders to fly around and things to get messy.

Meanwhile from the crime family...

By Bones McCoy
Andy McDandy wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:28 pm
Maybe Boris will find him a moonshot job.

By crabcakes_windermere
spoonman wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:56 am
The problem with the idea of Tr*mp resigning and a short-term President Pence giving out a blanket pardon for him is that it would only cover (potential) federal crimes - crimes being investigated by the states for which only the respective governors can pardon would still be live on the crime family. That includes New York for one not to mention suspected several others whom have sealed indictments waiting to be unsealed when the chance comes.
But are they too stupid to realise that? It would absolutely be the perfect ending if he resigned, got pardoned, thought he was safe and then discovered he was still able to be got for a whole host of shenanigans.

By Arrowhead
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:07 pm
Minnesota looks to be reddening, which could be awkward. Hopefully it holds in this election. By the time it switches over, Texas ought to be close to flipping, which would make it much harder for Republicans.
The most recent poll from Minnesota has Biden leading by nine points, which is obviously very encouraging news. For context, Clinton won it by under two points in 2016.
Tubby Isaacs liked this

By Bones McCoy
Can he be pardoned for stuff he hasn't been accused of?
Or can he turn himself in and get a pardon up front before the feds come a knocking?

Either way, won't this render his country a laughing stock?
Boris Johnson

Tomorrow's papers will tell us how far they are […]

Meanwhile in America

Actually, to be fair, he has to beat Kelly Loeffle[…]

Owen Jones

Some of them probably had memories of the elected […]

The Tories, Generally

This is an area where the Tories - by schmoozing a[…]