Area for all other political discussion
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
#502914
Littlejohn's brain wrote:How will this dictatorship be resisted?
We'll all have a chuckle at Steve Bell's cartoons.
 
By Arrowhead
Membership Days Posts
#502921
Littlejohn's brain wrote:How will this dictatorship be resisted?
By somehow ensuring that, without exception, a solitary non-Tory name appears on every ballot across the entire country. Easier said than done, but I'm convinced that is where we are ultimately headed.
 
By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
#502922
Catkins wrote:
My constituency of Newcastle Under Lyme has a Labour MP, Paul Farrelly, with a majority of only 650.
Glad you are voting for him - a good, hardworking MP. Was really useful on the Culture Select Committee when they looked at hacking.

Probably doomed!
Yeah he was very good on hacking. Rebelled on Brexit.
 
By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
#502924
Arrowhead wrote:
Littlejohn's brain wrote:How will this dictatorship be resisted?
By somehow ensuring that, without exception, a solitary non-Tory name appears on every ballot across the entire country. Easier said than done, but I'm convinced that is where we are ultimately headed.
Thoroughly logical, and undeniably the best strategy.
Now we just have to convince Jeremy, Leanne, Nicola, Fred and that other one to get their shit together.
I'm not altogether hopeful.
 
By mattomac
Membership Days Posts
#502932
I wonder where Remain Tories currently sit.

Apparently 67% are treating this as an election not another referendum on a Europe, I'll be intrigued to see what that does.

I'm going put my house* in this Leave/Remain areas meaning jack.

*Havent got one but.
 
By Littlejohn's brain
Membership Days Posts
#502954
Look just because he stormed a This Morning doesn't suddenly make Corbyn electable, if it weren't for his poore leadership we wouldn't be having this election.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
#502958
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Look just because he stormed a This Morning doesn't suddenly make Corbyn electable, if it weren't for his poore leadership we wouldn't be having this election.
I know, I know, I Know.....It was on ITV This Morning, so they probably though they could win a trolley dash at Asda or something
By davidjay
Membership Days Posts
#502960
The Corbynista friend I mentioned a few weeks ago told me last night that "People don't know what they want until they're told". That's the sort of patronising arrogance we have to defeat before we even start on the Tories.
 
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Posts
#502961
To a degree there's some truth in that. As someone qualified to run public consultations (yes, you can qualify in such a thing), one thing you're taught is that there are three types of consultation:

1. Ask 100 people what they want, completely blank slate. Get 100 different answers.

2. Offer a series of distinct options. Better, but someone will offer an option outside the range, or argue that it's not a free choice and that's not fair, and then people will demand type 1 even if they don't know what to do with it if they get it.

3. Offer 1 option, and say "This is what we're planning to do, what do you think of that?" (or do what you want, then ask people what they think of it).

Thing about elections is that they ask rather complex questions. For a start, people might think that they like some things from party A's manifesto, and some things from party B's. But you can't under the present system vote for both. Then there's the next questions of how much is my vote going to count, and how likely is my preferred candidate to achieve any of this. That last one's always the minor parties' bane - you might love them but if they've only got 1 MP what's the point?
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
#502964
May-Tse-Tung is still off the radar today. Probably in an underground bunker with Dacre working on the list of Enemies of the People to be eradicated....
 
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Posts
#502965
Well, they've got to think of a new slogan for her to parrot.
By davidjay
Membership Days Posts
#502971
Andy McDandy wrote:To a degree there's some truth in that. As someone qualified to run public consultations (yes, you can qualify in such a thing), one thing you're taught is that there are three types of consultation:

1. Ask 100 people what they want, completely blank slate. Get 100 different answers.

2. Offer a series of distinct options. Better, but someone will offer an option outside the range, or argue that it's not a free choice and that's not fair, and then people will demand type 1 even if they don't know what to do with it if they get it.

3. Offer 1 option, and say "This is what we're planning to do, what do you think of that?" (or do what you want, then ask people what they think of it).

Thing about elections is that they ask rather complex questions. For a start, people might think that they like some things from party A's manifesto, and some things from party B's. But you can't under the present system vote for both. Then there's the next questions of how much is my vote going to count, and how likely is my preferred candidate to achieve any of this. That last one's always the minor parties' bane - you might love them but if they've only got 1 MP what's the point?
Or as they'll do it 4. "You don't want those 50" TVs and smartphones, what you really want is a library and a museum."
  • 1
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 104
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Yes, very clearly in their almost universally wh[…]

SPOTY

Yeah...the Mailites are really not happy! Supe[…]

Europe? And the Future of Britain in Europe

Do a lot of the daft gits who voted leave know tha[…]

Question Time

As if to prove your point... https://twitter.[…]