Area for all other political discussion
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
youngian wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Labour ought to be in with a decent shout in working class urban seats in the south outside Hard-Kipper Kent and Essex. Though even in Essex they were close in Thurrock.
The fact that Labour didn't take a seat like Harlow shows Corbyn has a lot of work to do.
They're further back in Harlow than in 2010. It's not the only place like that, though Essex-Kent seems to be particularly bad. Like the hated US Democrats, Corbyn seems to be doing better with the middle class and worse with the working class than he should. You'd think politics were harder than it looked or something.

A lot of this is doubtless down to Brexit, but equally, what did Corbyn offer to his supposed working class core? The Tories at least cut their income tax and kept petrol cheap. Free university isn't any use if you don't go. I suppose there was the minimum wage promise, but the policies were not in aggregate all that progressive.
Looks like offering them free meerkat dolls didn't work...
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Brexit talks are deadlocked over money, the EU’s Michel Barnier said on Thursday as he ruled out discussions on future trade being launched by EU leaders next week but spoke of possible progress by December.
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Interesting point from unnamed Brussels contact of Ian Dunt. The Government got off lightly by having to settle the exit bill up first. Imagine getting hit with it right at the end, pay up or the whole thing's off?

That puzzled me at first; you're going to have to settle at some point so why faff around? But Davis thought it was a good idea to use the money and EU citizens as negotiating collateral. That'll show Johnny Foreigner.

David Davis faces legal threat over secret reports on Brexit impact
Lawyers say they will issue judicial review proceedings if Brexit secretary fails to release 50 studies of effect on industry
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... xit-impact" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brexit wrangle over citizens’ rights is nonsense, says Juncker
European commission president says UK should have taken simple, common-sense option of maintaining status quo
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ys-juncker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Let's see how the EU responds to this from Hammond:
"We all have the same agenda, we all signed up to the Prime Minister's Lancaster House speech, we're all signed up to the Article 50 letter, we're all behind the speech that she made in Florence.

"The enemy, the opponents are out there, they're on the other side of the negotiating table. Those are the people we have to negotiate with, negotiate hard to get the very best deal for Britain."

However shortly afterward he made a rapid u-turn, posting on Twitter: "In an interview today I was making the point that we are united at home. I regret I used a poor choice of words.
If you read Secret Barrister's thread to Julie HB earlier about why Hammond is not guilty of treason he now has to concede due to recent developments she is now right
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The accusation against the Chancellor is that he is trying to sabotage Brexit to remain in the EU. This sounds like aid & comfort to me.

Of course, if the EU are just negotiating partners, there's nothing wrong. But by declaring them enemies, Mr Hammond has changed things.

Firstly, by declaring Brussels the enemy, Mr Hammond has instantaneously turned himself, legally, almost certainly into a traitor.
Last edited by youngian on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samanfur wrote:Let's see how the EU responds to this from Hammond:
"We all have the same agenda, we all signed up to the Prime Minister's Lancaster House speech, we're all signed up to the Article 50 letter, we're all behind the speech that she made in Florence.

"The enemy, the opponents are out there, they're on the other side of the negotiating table. Those are the people we have to negotiate with, negotiate hard to get the very best deal for Britain."

However shortly afterward he made a rapid u-turn, posting on Twitter: "In an interview today I was making the point that we are united at home. I regret I used a poor choice of words.
:roll: :roll:
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Yes, very clearly in their almost universally wh[…]

SPOTY

Yeah...the Mailites are really not happy! Supe[…]

Europe? And the Future of Britain in Europe

Do a lot of the daft gits who voted leave know tha[…]

Question Time

As if to prove your point... https://twitter.[…]