Area for all other political discussion
100 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Theresa May pleads with EU27 for Brexit deal she can defend
Theresa May pleaded with EU leaders over dinner in Brussels to help her strike a Brexit deal that she can defend to voters back home, admitting talks had got off to a bad start over the summer.

The prime minister made the appeal over dinner with 27 other EU leaders but did not offer any fresh financial concessions to help break the deadlock in talks
Hmm.
60% Bremain
30% No deal
10% Other outcomes.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -from-eu27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We all know that Brexit is going to be a disaster and that it was a predictable disaster, and that the Tories are plunging headlong into the disaster.

Discounting the inexcusable racism and xenophobia of the right in general, why are they doing this? is it because they are scared that the Mail and Express will explode or something? Brexit isn't even that popular any more, it was only ever 52% at its peak and more and more people are coming to their senses and realising that its wrong.

Why cant some politician stand up and say "Brexit is a massive,. massive mistake and we need to pull the plug on this madness NOW! We must do everything in our power to stop it, or at worst. delay it"

Even if this was futile, the person who stood up to be counted could run for leadership in, say, 5 years time, when the huge recession has really started to bite, on a platform of rejoining the EU.

Balls to all this "will of the people" shit, it was based on a pack of lies and the interests of the country MUST come first.
Going back to that interesting question posed a few posts back about why don't we give up on Brexit? and what would happen to the Tory party if we did, I actually think the Tories have dug themselves into a hole on the issue whichever way it goes.

Scenario1:

The VERY unlikely event of pulling out of Brexit and admitting it was a mistake. Mail and Express explode, Sun sits on fence, waiting to see how the wind of popular opinion blows, far right nutty element of the Tory party also explodes, some defect to UKIP, if a GE was called I wouldn't like to say which way it would go. Tories would lose the loon vote, could pick up some more sensible, Remain voters, split massively damages the party in the short/medium term.

Scenario 2:

Crash out with no/very poor deal. Mail/Express love it, Sun changes sides. Economy tanks, some sane elements in the Tory party bail out, abandoning it to the loons, GE called, Labour or Labour/LD coalition, again Tory party badly split, but this time much longer term
Nobody is brave enough to be the first to say "enough of this shit". That's why.

One doing it and not being immediately hounded out of office / deselected by their local party / shot will probably open the floodgates.
I think it has polarised British politics even more, and turned the EU into a left/right issue when it wasn't, necessarily, one before.

For a long time, dating back to when Britain first talked about joining the EEC, as it then was, the middle ground in Britain was in favour of it, and at that time the Tories were pretty much for it, as the Tory right was then a fringe group, centred around Enoch Powell. There was also opposition to it from the Labour left, and again, at that time, the left in Labour was more significant than it is now.

Over time, the right came to dominate the Tory party and the left were marginalised within Labour, so a situation has arisen where, broadly, the Tories are pro-Brexit, with Labour, mostly, anti it. The problem for Labour was that quite a lot of its core areas, like Sunderland, and some Lancashire towns, voted leave, and haemmoraged votes to UKIP in some places too. Labour leavers saw UKIP as a one issue party, and mistakenly overlooked the fact that they are to the right of the Tories.

I suspect these are the leave voters who are realising that this was the wrong choice and Labour has to come down in opposition to the Tory impending disaster.
If you look at the demographics of the vote, the under 40s overwhelmingly voted to remain, as they have known nothing other than EU/EEC membership.

Over time, the leave voters in the older age group will disappear, and the country will probably be knocking on the door to be let back in 10 years or so down the line.

The ironic thing is that these short sighted elderly voters will be impacted by leave anyway, as the resulting recession will impact hugely on public services, so I hope they have their health insurance in place in case they have to depend on the private sector
mr angry manchester wrote:The ironic thing is that these short sighted elderly voters will be impacted by leave anyway, as the resulting recession will impact hugely on public services, so I hope they have their health insurance in place in case they have to depend on the private sector
Plenty of us voted to stay. Not enough admittedly.
mr angry manchester wrote:If you look at the demographics of the vote, the under 40s overwhelmingly voted to remain, as they have known nothing other than EU/EEC membership.
Over time, the leave voters in the older age group will disappear, and the country will probably be knocking on the door to be let back in 10 years or so down the line.
Kind of ignores the well-observed phenomenon of people becoming more conservative in general over time.
Overwhelmingly simplistic point of view.

I am well into the older category (leave, according to you), but on the other hand I'm in the higher-educated group (Remain according to everybody). I'm London-based, so Remain. I travel in Europe a lot. That's pretty unlike someone of my age but a different socioeconomic category further north or east.

It just doesn't work like that, and as Orca rightly points out the general trend is rightwards over personal time.
The figures were:

1, Age - 50-64 Leave 60%, 65+ Leave 64%

2, Education - GCSE or lower - Leave 70%

It is a generalisation and there are exceptions, I am against the trend on both counts, as I am GCSE/Lower on education.

In addition, the trend towards conservatism with age means moving to the right, the right are, in general, pro Brexit.
Jeremy Corbyn.

Children, only Chinese acrobats and western morons[…]

UKIP

To be fair, Corbynites probably also regard them a[…]

The Times

Brainy Brits come out for Brexit Let me guess[…]

Higher Education

Another disastrous idea in the offing: May warns[…]