Area for all other political discussion
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
I still can't stand the cow. She's shown no remorse about the way she treated working people when she was in office, so sod her. The following blog has some interesting food for thought on the subject, though, and I'd be interested to know what others think:

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2010/10/21/it ... n-meagher/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No, she may be old and frail and losing her marbles but that doesn't excuse her actions while in power. You may as well excuse former Nazi war criminals on the grounds that they're now cuddly old grandfathers. Because everyone knows elderly people are all lovely and sweet and never did anything wrong ever :roll:

OK that's possibly a bit of an OTT comparison :D but Thatcher and Thatcherism f***ed up my home area big time and where I come from you won't find many people, even quite a few Conservatives, with much good to say about her.
By Adam
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I remember reading an article about when she went to tea with Gordon Brown, that included a quote from a Tory grandee to the effect that "we know she's frail and lonely, and this sort of thing means a lot to her" which made me feel rather sorry for her. Two days later I happened across footage over her in her prime, and the revulsion I felt was still there. So you can recognise the ruinous effect she had on the country and the callousness she displayed in power without displaying malice towards a little old lady. I cannot and will not excuse what she did, and I won't be particularly upset when she dies, but I can't see any point in directing vitriol at her as she is now.

That said, I'll probably go out for a drink on the day she dies out of curiosity to gauge the mood.
Esqui wrote:I'm not particularly enamoured with her - but I feel really uneasy about people hoping she'll die/saying they'll dance on her grave/etc...
Why?

I'll always despise the woman. The only dancing on her grave I'll do will be metaphorical, but you can rest assured I'll be like a fucking metaphorical cast member of Riverdance.

Why? The wilful, wanton, and callous damage the woman inflicted on ordinary people in this country is quite simply unforgiveable. I'd go further - perhaps we should have more actual grave-dancing - or at any rate Millbank type demonstrations by students - to remind people what a colossal fuck-up they made at the last election by handing the Tories under Cameron the chance to fuck us up even more than they did under Thatcher.

By Esqui
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:
Esqui wrote:I'm not particularly enamoured with her - but I feel really uneasy about people hoping she'll die/saying they'll dance on her grave/etc...
Why?
Because I don't think that people should be like that about anyone. It's just some of the things people say, and the way they say it...I know that's really vague of me to say, but Thatcher attracts that more than anyone else I know of. I suppose it's when people cross the line from what she did in power, to something more personal. (I'm making no sense, and I apologise)
There's a few people who have done things to me and my family who I say I hate, but will probably forgive and forget about during the passage of time. There is only one person in the world who I can honestly say I hate from the bottom of my heart, for whom I can think of nothing that would be too painful, and wish every ill-will imaginable.
davidjay wrote:There's a few people who have done things to me and my family who I say I hate, but will probably forgive and forget about during the passage of time. There is only one person in the world who I can honestly say I hate from the bottom of my heart, for whom I can think of nothing that would be too painful, and wish every ill-will imaginable.
Who's that then? :wink:
Hate demands too much energy for someone I have never met,however i shall not mourn when she dies,and shall fight against the mad idea of her having a state funeral.
UKIP

It's more than a little telling that the internet […]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Probably not too swift on their porky pins.

The Tories, Generally

Fundamentally, it seems we need mandatory PPE st[…]

Mark Francois MP

'Don't condescend to me or to us': US Speaker Na[…]