Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 32.2 % ❤ 4 % :thumbsup: 17.4 % 😯 1.8 % :grinning: 29.7 % 🧥 2.2 % 🙏 2.9 % 😟 5.4 % :cry: 2.9 % :shit: 1.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Brexit LIVE: May to CAVE in to Labour and accept EU RULES in major Brexit deal climbdown

The Prime Minister is considering supporting Labour demands to safeguard workers’ rights using legislation that would enshrine EU standards as the Brexit Day clock ticks louder. With just 78 days to go until the UK leaves the European Union, Mrs May is looking at introducing an amendment that would keep the bloc’s rules on pay and conditions, health and safety and environmental standards
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... ay-no-deal

I thought she had already promised us that.
Actually come to think of it, she did, she suggested they would be strengthened as the EU only allowed the bare minimum.

Of course she hasn't enshrined or put it anywhere that, that would indeed happen, and she still hasn't.

She phoned the Union's yesterday, and described it as constructive, Tim Roache suggested it was nice to finally receive a call from her but nothing much had changed.
https://www.investmentweek.co.uk/invest ... ont-happen
Hargreaves Lansdown co-founder Peter Hargreaves and hedge fund veteran Crispin Odey have said they expect Brexit will not happen, despite both backing the Leave campaign prior to the 2016 referendum.

The pair told Reuters their pessimism stems from the Brexit deadlock in Parliament, which is set to vote on Prime Minister Theresa May's controversial agreement on Tuesday (15 January).

The Odey Asset Management founder has now amassed a position in favour of sterling, which he expects to bounce in the event Brexit is cancelled.
mattomac wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:15 pm
Actually come to think of it, she did, she suggested they would be strengthened as the EU only allowed the bare minimum.
She did, but it's nonsense. I know of no reason that the UK can't exceed minimum EU standards.
A very nice piece by a Tory MP.

https://www.nickboles.co.uk/news/who-do-i-serve
Who do I serve?

Who do I serve? Is it you, the residents of Grantham, Stamford, Bourne and the villages and farms in between? Is it the members of the local Conservative association and those elected to its executive and branches? Is it Theresa May, the Prime Minister, and her Chief Whip? Some of them are demanding loyalty, insisting that I fall in with their way of thinking. The Prime Minister and the Chief Whip demand that I support the Government as it prepares for a “no deal” Brexit. The chairman and officers of my local association demand that I submit to the views of the most extreme Brexiteers in our party, many of whom are former members of UKIP and only joined the Conservative Party in the last few months. Well I won’t do it. I won’t be bullied. Not even when some pathetic inadequate sitting on his sofa in his underpants posts a message on my website calling me a traitor and telling me I should ‘prepare to die’. (Been there, done that, got the T shirt).

My loyalty - my only loyalty - is to the people I was elected to represent in Parliament. Conservatives and those who voted for other parties or didn’t vote at all. Leavers, Remainers and those who didn’t take part in the referendum. Those who are in their dotage, or at death’s door and those who are too young to vote.
More detail:
https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/nick-bo ... rway-deal/
Catkins liked this
Bugger, Bugger, Bugger

https://www.businessinsider.com/brexit- ... ?r=US&IR=T
LONDON — Sources within the campaign for another Brexit referendum have told Business Insider that they must get Jeremy Corbyn on board within the next few weeks or it is "game over" for the prospect of forcing a second vote.

Sources within the People's Vote campaign said they estimate there are currently just 175 out of the House of Commons' 650 MPs who are willing to support another referendum.

This includes 116 Labour MPs, some of whom are shadow Cabinet ministers. But crucially, not the Labour leader.

"We need to move Jeremy Corbyn or it's game over," one of the People's Vote leading figures told Business Insider.
Rejoining in the future will not give us the deal we currently have. This isn't a "we'll try this for a couple of years and then walk back in" kind of deal because the EU will either tell us to fuck off or to accept the Euro, no opt outs etc.

I don't see how the Norway option reunites the country. It's certainly better than any other Brexit idea floated (as Brexit is a bad idea in itself) but the majority of Remainers are Remain and reform. The Norway option leaves us with nothing Leavers voted Leave for, without any say or ability to reform for those who wished to Remain.

I'm not saying it should be ruled out at all and it's my second favoured option (after a Final Vote as I don't see how cancelling Brexit without one, although we can, would work) but staying away from a Final Say vote because Norway could reunite everybody is naive beyond extreme.

Corbyn just needs to pull himself together. Time is running out. Vague, wishy-washy assurances about him negotiating a different shade of shit to bring back from Europe solves absolutely nothing (wish he cannot do unless he persuades the Tory turkey to vote for Christmas and the EU to renegotiate May's deal which is next to impossible), he's not going to get what he wants so he needs to go with what his party membership wants.

This evolves him adapting his mental age past that of a petulant 16 year old, granted. Unless he wants to find himself cowered down in the political bunker with a small tribe of loyalists for the rest of his very short political life when the support properly turns on him, he's going to have to.

He's out of road.
The chairman and officers of my local association demand that I submit to the views of the most extreme Brexiteers in our party, many of whom are former members of UKIP and only joined the Conservative Party in the last few months.
I read the Boles statement last night and this comment stood out. Entryists. I wonder if enough have made it into Remain-MPs' local associations to trigger and win deselection competitions.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Solicitor General Boris backer Lucy Frazer claimed[…]

Morrissey also says a few things about the Cure f[…]

It's a bit much to call it a Freudian slip I agree[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

You know my stance - I'd block you if I co[…]