Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 32.2 % ❤ 4 % :thumbsup: 17.4 % 😯 1.8 % :grinning: 29.7 % 🧥 2.2 % 🙏 2.9 % 😟 5.4 % :cry: 2.9 % :shit: 1.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
We could have them voting to reject "no deal" tonight, then rejecting to extend Article 50 tomorrow. Ever decreasing circles.

In the sitcom of that name, Richard Briers character Martin would undoubtedly have been a leaver, but his wife Anne and laid -back neighbour Paul remain.
I suspect that if both no deal and A50 extension is rejected, then it is at that point that May throws up her hands in defeat, will get the lectern out in Downing Street (not a euphemism) and announce A50 revocation as no deal is too damaging, her own resignation and a General Election, which may then be followed by another referendum.

If no deal is rejected and A50 extension is passed, the EU will agree provided there is a second vote. If they don't agree, then the scenario above will apply.

If no deal is passed tonight, do any of our overseas Mailwatchers want a lodger? I am toilet trained.
AOB wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:42 am
Are MPs likely to reject "no deal" tonight? I thought they did in early December, but there have been that many they've all just blurred into one hazy memory.
They did, but it was non-binding. I think. I'm losing track along with the will to live.
spoonman wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:02 am
Meanwhile on Newsnight, Emily Maitlis is clearly fed up with Barry Gardiner...

...and that's before she moves on to Ian Óg Paisley.

The question she asks leading up to that side stare is 19:20 in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... t-12032019
And, to no one's surprise, the cult are now up in arms at her. Apparently she's disrespectful, and a Tory plant.
I didn't think Emily was being disrespectful. She was just finding it difficult to hang on to the will to live.

I was watching, and I too was struggling as Baz droned on.
oboogie liked this
It's mainly because it's either rolling the eyes or screaming at maximum volume "STOP ALL THIS BOLLOCKS AND SORT THIS SHIT OUT, YOU BUNCH OF FUCKTARDIAN CUNT WAFFLES" which even BBC2 at 11pm would thing was a bit much.
lord_kobel, oboogie liked this
There's one other option I see open that I've seen no one talk about unless there is a good legal reason why it's impossible - if the EU27 reject a request to extend the deadline for the UK to leave, can Theresa May revoke the Article 50 notification at the last moment, say at 22:30 GMT on 29th March only in make a new Article 50 notification just days or even hours later?

I know that would be a a shitstorm of god like proportions to kick the can down the road for a further two years, pissing off pretty much everyone else, but since May's government has been found in contempt of Parliament, has had her withdrawal agreement suffer a crushing defeat not once but twice in the Commons yet shows no intent on resigning at all & doesn't have to call an election until 2022 plus she's immune from party leadership challenges for another 8 to 9 months, nothing would surprise me at that point if she tried such a stunt. But is there a legal reason why she can't?
Abernathy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:02 am
I was watching, and I too was struggling as Baz droned on.
I heard the twat on the radio and if it wasn't for the fact said radio was a 40th birthday present from Mrs. B. I'd have punted it out the window with my boot.

Is he really the best Labour can do?
Boiler wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:53 am
Is he really the best Labour can do?
No, there are many others who are far, far better than Gardiner cluttering the backbenches.
oboogie liked this
spoonman wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:41 am
There's one other option I see open that I've seen no one talk about unless there is a good legal reason why it's impossible - if the EU27 reject a request to extend the deadline for the UK to leave, can Theresa May revoke the Article 50 notification at the last moment, say at 22:30 GMT on 29th March only in make a new Article 50 notification just days or even hours later?

I know that would be a a shitstorm of god like proportions to kick the can down the road for a further two years, pissing off pretty much everyone else, but since May's government has been found in contempt of Parliament, has had her withdrawal agreement suffer a crushing defeat not once but twice in the Commons yet shows no intent on resigning at all & doesn't have to call an election until 2022 plus she's immune from party leadership challenges for another 8 to 9 months, nothing would surprise me at that point if she tried such a stunt. But is there a legal reason why she can't?
Well, it isn't impossible, but if you think the EU is pissed off with us now, you'd be appalled at the reaction that taking that course of action would engender. The whole Article 50 process was never intended to be used, and the UK is the first and probably will be the only country to use it to leave the EU - and you can see why.

What s clear is that revocation of the Article 50 notifiction is expected only to be used in the event of a sincere intent permanently to pull back from the Brexit path, and not as a short term trick to secure another two year period by immediately re-invoking it.

It's theoretically possible, but not really a good idea.
The EU’s deputy Brexit negotiator Sabine Weyand has said MPs’ decision to resurrect plans already rejected by Brussels countless times shows that parliament is “divorced from reality”.

Speaking at a closed-door meeting of EU ambassadors this morning, Weyand made the tart observation about the Malthouse compromise - a variant of plans rejected by Brussels numerous times.

Quoting private remarks by the Dutch prime minister, Mark Rutte, Weyand also said the decision to vote for no-deal was “like the Titanic voting for the iceberg to get out of the way”.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... itics-live
Bearing in mind that looking at the UK population as a whole, it was still a minority that voted to leave, I can't help noticing that May is bending over backwards to appease the ERG and no deal advocates, they themselves a minority amongst Leave voters.

And yet, if any other minority group (LGBT, any ethnic group) were to demand a right to be heard, and for things to be done their way, they would be roundly chastised by several members of the ERG.
Wingnuts like to scream "Treason" a lot. What do you think this is?

"
"
I'd say this was bollocks, but Cadwalladr is a highly credible source.

If it is true, though - foreign interference in UK affairs, surely there is a compelling case for the PM to seek parliament's permission immediately to revoke the article 50 notification.? Or even to do it via a statutory instriment.

Trustworthy man of government and likeable every p[…]

Euro Elections 2019

https://twitter.com/JohnVMercer/status/113150514[…]

Theresa May

It's not a fucking party game*, or a Paul Daniels […]

The Sun

"Best informed MEP" screen-shot-2016-[…]